Has Floyd Mayweather ducked his way to greatness?

BoztheMadman

Re: Has Floyd Mayweather ducked his way to greatness?

Didn't say he was invincible but at his best he could beat anyone at 140 and 147 that fought at that time.

He wasn't not at his best when he fought Margarito, and we have no proof Margarito was cheating in that fight.

Guest Unregistered

That's not true - Malignaggi gave him a war until he eventually ran out of gas, Corley gave him a scare,Torres had him all over the place throughout the fight, even a nearly shot Mosley gave problems(perhaps he got back on the steroids)

Cotto has a superb CV but he was never invincible andnever liked speed. He had some very weak opponents as well -Jennings, Gomez...

But they were all at light-welter when he was clearly drained at the weight.

• 1 year later...

Possibly, it will be recognized as a great fighter but never as one of the greats. His great failure was not to face Pacquiao in 2009 that both were at their best. That will pursue in its history ....

Yep! Very true. I mean, he returns, makes the big bold announcement that he is back to "save the world from the Pacman" or something like that and then-he fights a LIGHTWEIGHT! That was really a chicken move.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The peak of of the 4 best fighters Floyd fought:

Manny Pacquiao = 2009.

FM fights him 6 years later.

Shane Mosley = 2000

FM fights him 10 years later

Oscar De La Hoya = 1999

FM fights him 8 years later

Miguel Cotto = 2007

FM fights him 5 years later

The answer is yes.

always Floyd's fault if he didn't fight some one. he would have beaten Pacquiao in any year theres levels simple as that he lost 6 times ko in 3 of them not to mention the draw and SD win against JMM who clearly won them 2 fights. We will have UFC fans on here next saying Conor McGregor beats him and hes a bigger star. :lmao:

Well, I have a few thoughts on this, Mayweather's legacy and those horrible scorecards versus Pacquiao.

Let's examine Mayweather's past couple fights in comparison to the fight with Pacquiao:

May 2013 vs Robert Guerrero (Showtime PPV)- While there is no doubt Floyd won this fight-the judges scored it 117-111 (three times). Mayweather might have lost the first but no more after that as he repeatedly stuck Guerrero with right hands the whole night.

September 2013 vs Canelo Alvarez (Showtime PPV)-This one remains puzzling but you could see a pattern developing here. Weird scoring, weird vibe. Yes, Mayweather dominated. Yes, Canelo tried. But a majority decision? and even two scores of 117-111 and 116-112 and that C.J. Ross scorecard. Wow.

May 2014 vs Marcos Maidana (Showtime PPV)-Competitve? Yes. Close? No. I had Mayweather winning 116-113. Easy. No rematch needed. This is an example of how good Mayweather's PR was. Manny Pacquiao continued to wait and wait. Meanwhile, Pacquaio was actually taking on a good if not great fighter in Tim Bradley who he beat by identical scores of their fight 118-110, 116-112 (twice)-puzzled yet? Mayweather and Maidana rematched in September 2014. Not even close but somehow was closer than the fight was.

Finally they met. Here is what I saw: Mayweather was doing his usual, holding. A little elbow push here. Firing a left jab, right cross combo. Manny actually landed the more telling blows. This was the worst connection pct in Mayweather's career. Round 4 Mayweather got his lip bloodied. All this while Manny had a hurt shoulder. What I found puzzling was that I was actually shocked that seasoned boxing writers and reporters did not watch the fight I had witnessed. Max Kellerman usually is bright, smart and informative. Dan Rafael is a great analyst but cannot score a fight correctly. Harold Letterman and Steve Wesfeld? Were they apart of the TBE and TMT? Just baffling.

118-110? No. 116-112? No. This fight was at worst a draw or 115-113 either way. It is not even the Pernell Whitaker effect. Manny Pacquiao, to his credit, put on a better performance than Alvarez, Maidana and Guerrero. Throw in that fight vs Cotto and this was much more competitive than that. I am shocked that every boxing analyst with the exception of Skip Bayless did not see what I saw. This was without a doubt Floyd's second most competitve fight (Castillo I, which Castillo mugged him). The fight with De La Hoya was smoke and mirrors. His aura won Oscar five rounds and even managed to get one judge to score it for him.

Do I hate Floyd Mayweather? No. Do I think he is great? Yes. But there are so many times where his PR and business acumen are much better than his actual ring product. Words like "masterful" or "brilliant" always carry the day with the coverage of ESPN's, USA today and FSIs. Floyd was not masterful in this fight. It was two past their prime fighters while one being the aggressor (Pac) and one being the matador (May). I call this the De La Hoya effect. Only Floyd is better at it than Oscar and Floyd was not as well-liked as Oscar was.

Let's all be grateful that we do not have to fall for his tricks again.

Well, I have a few thoughts on this, Mayweather's legacy and those horrible scorecards versus Pacquiao.

Let's examine Mayweather's past couple fights in comparison to the fight with Pacquiao:

May 2013 vs Robert Guerrero (Showtime PPV)- While there is no doubt Floyd won this fight-the judges scored it 117-111 (three times). Mayweather might have lost the first but no more after that as he repeatedly stuck Guerrero with right hands the whole night.

September 2013 vs Canelo Alvarez (Showtime PPV)-This one remains puzzling but you could see a pattern developing here. Weird scoring, weird vibe. Yes, Mayweather dominated. Yes, Canelo tried. But a majority decision? and even two scores of 117-111 and 116-112 and that C.J. Ross scorecard. Wow.

May 2014 vs Marcos Maidana (Showtime PPV)-Competitve? Yes. Close? No. I had Mayweather winning 116-113. Easy. No rematch needed. This is an example of how good Mayweather's PR was. Manny Pacquiao continued to wait and wait. Meanwhile, Pacquaio was actually taking on a good if not great fighter in Tim Bradley who he beat by identical scores of their fight 118-110, 116-112 (twice)-puzzled yet? Mayweather and Maidana rematched in September 2014. Not even close but somehow was closer than the fight was.

Finally they met. Here is what I saw: Mayweather was doing his usual, holding. A little elbow push here. Firing a left jab, right cross combo. Manny actually landed the more telling blows. This was the worst connection pct in Mayweather's career. Round 4 Mayweather got his lip bloodied. All this while Manny had a hurt shoulder. What I found puzzling was that I was actually shocked that seasoned boxing writers and reporters did not watch the fight I had witnessed. Max Kellerman usually is bright, smart and informative. Dan Rafael is a great analyst but cannot score a fight correctly. Harold Letterman and Steve Wesfeld? Were they apart of the TBE and TMT? Just baffling.

118-110? No. 116-112? No. This fight was at worst a draw or 115-113 either way. It is not even the Pernell Whitaker effect. Manny Pacquiao, to his credit, put on a better performance than Alvarez, Maidana and Guerrero. Throw in that fight vs Cotto and this was much more competitive than that. I am shocked that every boxing analyst with the exception of Skip Bayless did not see what I saw. This was without a doubt Floyd's second most competitve fight (Castillo I, which Castillo mugged him). The fight with De La Hoya was smoke and mirrors. His aura won Oscar five rounds and even managed to get one judge to score it for him.

Do I hate Floyd Mayweather? No. Do I think he is great? Yes. But there are so many times where his PR and business acumen are much better than his actual ring product. Words like "masterful" or "brilliant" always carry the day with the coverage of ESPN's, USA today and FSIs. Floyd was not masterful in this fight. It was two past their prime fighters while one being the aggressor (Pac) and one being the matador (May). I call this the De La Hoya effect. Only Floyd is better at it than Oscar and Floyd was not as well-liked as Oscar was.

Good post and couple of additional points to remember. The already big for his weight Canelo had a drop a couple of extra pounds as the fight was made at 152lbs which probably blunted his sharpness and speed. Also I watched the Hatton fight a few days ago for the first time in years. In my mind it's a Floyd masterclass but the reality is that he doesn't really get on top until Cortez persistent interfering and bias get Hatton frustrated and he loses his focus. Until then he's not winning but he's definitely giving Floyd a hard time and who knows how the persistent pressure (if he had been allowed to apply it) would have played out in the final third.

. The already big for his weight Canelo had a drop a couple of extra pounds as the fight was made at 152lbs which probably blunted his sharpness and speed.

FMJ is a fighter who looks naturally good in WW and LMW. If Canelo doesn't, no one forces him to play by Mayweather's rules. If Mayweather would fight Canelo in MW or whatever division where he doesn't have to lose weight and Alvarez knocks him out, we could have made the same argument about Floyd being too small for him. The difference is Floyd never intented to be a MW guy, while Alvarez was a LMW champ before their fight.

Welcome to the forum. It's nice when a new member joins and makes an effort in his posts. I agree with you on a lot of the points, but, prime vs prime as much as you hate or dislike Mayweather I think he beats most fighters in his era.

Not sure I'd say he ducked throughout his career but I would agree with the implication of some of the posts in the above that some of his signature wins came against fighters well past their prime. Mosley and Pacquaio in particular can't be considered any where near as significant as they would have been each fighter's respective primes.