Does David Haye have much of a legacy?

iamasadlittleboy

I jhave to say I don't pay much attention to age as a rule - fighters seem tio be carrying it a lot better now, like weight changes. It depends on the individual - Morales was done at 29, Marquez seems to be improving with every fight well into his 30s.

I agree with you. Also, humans generally in the Western World living longer, healthier diets must be playing a part in fighters lasting longer and also alot less fights than many years ago. No 15 round fights either.

Not find it funny neither Ruiz or Valuev have fought since, nor look likely too? And we all hope Audley doesn't fight again. Has Haye then "retired" 3 fighters or fought 3 fighters that were "retiring" anyway? An average age of 35 is just incredible for the title fights that Haye supposes his legacy is being built on.

He's something even more interesting, Hayes "biggest" fights:

Thompson (40)-First "world" title fight

Hurov (34)-European title fight

Fragomeni (37)-Final European defence

Mormeck (35)-First world title fight

Barrett (37)-First "heavyweight" fight of note

Valuev (36)-First HW title fight

Ruiz (38)-First heavyweight title defence

Audley (39)-2nd hw defence

34,35,36,37 (x2),38,39,40....he's going to get a 41 year old next....or a 33 year old Chagaev turns 33 in October >_> coincidence? I think not! Though you need to accept that he has a reputation for fighting old men surely?

The bottle needs to be spun in order to give Haye the thumbs-up on legacy. If it's not there is telling evidence (and much of it) to suggest otherwise. You have to remember, at this point anyways, one cannot state with certainty and reason that Haye is great or has accomplished anything at heavyweight.

Haye is trying to build a legacy without actually having to fight, and the recipe is really quite simple.

Pick two brothers whose first language is not English, talk constantly in the English speaking media about what you are going to do to them, pull out of the scheduled fights and blame them for the breakdown in negotiations.

Voi la.

Nice article and I agree with almost every sentiment again.

The only thing I would say is that I thought his win over Abdoul wasn't particularly impressive.

It was more of a glorified sparring session in my eyes, to see if he could go a full 12.

I think he probably could have finished it well inside the distance if he had stepped up a gear.

Still, he made it look easy enough I guess.

His legacy is basically Mormeck, as it stands, and even he was coming off a KO loss to Bell, a win over a journeyman and then a wafer-thin victory over an O'Neil Bell who was clearly already on a slippery slope that was compounded by mental problems, an attempted murder charge stemming from a hammer attack, and a KO loss to Adamek, and subsequent retirement.

Mormeck basically picked up the two titles in one fight, and then gave them to Haye in the next fight, without a single defense in between, even knocking Haye down in the process.

It was a good victory against a good fighter, and other than this he holds a couple of hollow victories over second-rate champions, the Valuev one in particular being pretty fortunate given how few punches he actually threw in the fight.

He built his repuation by hounding the Klitschko's, and if he fails to land the fight with them, much less win, inside 3 years, then he will have ultimately failed.

his heavyweight legacy is piss poor as it stands but come on give the guy his due for his fights at cruiserweight!

anybody who is downplaying his achievements there are just giving biased opinions because of their hatred or dislike for him

He had a good Cruiser career despite what people say about that.

Okay, he didn't fight Adamek but he earnt his dues by going to Mormeck's back yard and knocking him out.

Everyone raved that Enzo would be his toughest fight (I was never sold on Enzo at any point) and knocked him out in the second.

He won the EBU title only a little over a year after being beaten by Thompson.

On top of that, he held three world titles at it.

Can't really complain.

his heavyweight legacy is piss poor as it stands but come on give the guy his due for his fights at cruiserweight!

anybody who is downplaying his achievements there are just giving biased opinions because of their hatred or dislike for him

He had a good Cruiser career despite what people say about that.

Okay, he didn't fight Adamek but he earnt his dues by going to Mormeck's back yard and knocking him out.

Everyone raved that Enzo would be his toughest fight (I was never sold on Enzo at any point) and knocked him out in the second.

He won the EBU title only a little over a year after being beaten by Thompson.

On top of that, he held three world titles at it.

Can't really complain.

goodp//

The Fragomeni fight is a cracking fight aswell. Showed heart and determination in that one and took plenty of shots - it was also a World title Eliminator.

The Gurov 1st round KO was good aswell - Gurov was a good opponent.

Wtf? since when did a poxy 21 fights at Cruiseweight constitute a legacy, or 21 fights at any weight come to that?

Its his fault, and his alone that the other 5 fights he's had at Heavyweight were against bugs and earwigs. If bringing those two bits of information to peoples attention makes someone a hater, then i'll willingly plead guilty.

Legacy my arse, smoke and mirrors more like.

Wtf? since when did a poxy 21 fights at Cruiseweight constitute a legacy, or 21 fights at any weight come to that?

Its his fault, and his alone that the other 5 fights he's had at Heavyweight were against bugs and earwigs. If bringing those two bits of information to peoples attention makes someone a hater, then i'll willingly plead guilty.

Legacy my arse, smoke and mirrors more like.

Legacy seems to be a word thats been banded about in the last few years. Not sure if Lennox Lewis, RJJ or Bhop is to blame for the word.

Lets say as a Cruiserweight he did better than anyother Brit.

Double weight world champ and millions in the bank. Maybe not a legacy that will be spoke about historically, but it's not half bad. And from the sounds of it retiring at 31. We'd all take what he's done in a heartbeat.

Double weight world champ and millions in the bank. Maybe not a legacy that will be spoke about historically, but it's not half bad. And from the sounds of it retiring at 31. We'd all take what he's done in a heartbeat.

Jorge Linares is a double world champion and did it at something like 24 years of age...Paul Weir is also a double weight world champion from Britain...

Money in the bank means little when you have enough to live easily off for the rest of your life...

As I said, it might not be much to speak of historically. But he's been a very successful boxer. He definately overstates his legacy! Yet those people bigging up Wlad's legacy against David's then ridicule Wlad against the heavyweight greats of the past!

As I said, it might not be much to speak of historically. But he's been a very successful boxer. He definately overstates his legacy! Yet those people bigging up Wlad's legacy against David's then ridicule Wlad against the heavyweight greats of the past!

Wlad is a 2 time heavyweight champion, has unified, beat the real WBA champion (who beat the bloke haye beat for the paper version of the title). Although Wlad has had his easy paydays he's also beaten some prime fighters, Peter, Byrd, Barrett (if you want to include him as a good win for Haye), McCline, Brock, Ibragimov.

It may be easy to say they weren't good, but they weren't crap and over the hill

Forgetting the Cruiser division, imagine if Haye started at heavyweight and did what he did at Cruiser, would people have a different opinion?

Let's not forget that the Cruiserweight division isn't popular and never was, even when Holyfield was around in it.