Best British Prospects to watch in 2011?

iamasadlittleboy

Although there are a host of British fighters at the top of the sport of boxing and another host of young emerging fighters. The question is who is the nations best prospect? The fighters that will make a huge impact, not necessarily in 2011 but sometime in the future. To class as a prospect for the sake of this piece a fighter cannot have any “Top 10” ranking with a world body (hence why some noteworthy names are absent such as Kell Brook-WBO #1, Nathan Cleverly-WBO Interim Champion and James DeGale-WBO #5, Scott Quigg-WBC #14, WBA #9 and IBF #12), these are what I class as having surpassed being just a prospect. The only rankings that are mentioned on this piece are the Boxrecs, these are computerised and are used for reference only.

Heavyweight:

Tom Dallas

Dallas is probably one of the lesser known British heavyweight fighters out there, over shadowed by future world title challenger Dereck Chisora, giant gypsy Tyson Fury, power punching “War Machine” Larry Olubamiwo and Olympic medal winning David Price, though looks the best of the lot. Stood at 6'6'' he's an ideal height for a heavyweight, still a few years away from his prime (he turns 26 this year) but looking to have the basics to go a long long way if he's guided right. Dallas has the fast hands that have always been the trait of a smaller heavyweight and the movement to match, he hits hurtfully even if it's not always the explosive power that some may want to see from him but more importantly he has a solid work rate to what he does.

Currently holding down a full time job as a roofer whilst training twice a day Dallas has a story similar in a way to that of Rendall Munroe, needing his day job to help him with the expenses of being a fighter. Also like Munroe is the fact that Dallas seems to have on the sort of head to do well in the sport, he's hard working and shows signs of improvement regularly.

With a brimming domestic division Dallas may not shine immediately though by the time he breaks through be ready for him, as he will likely step up several levels at once. A British title fight is a little out of reach of the 12-0 (9) fighter for now, though with wins over the likes of Lee Swaby, and Daniil Peretyatko it's time for him to step up a bit and start mixing with decent journeymen, guys like Zach page, Andreas Sidon and even Oleksiy Mazykin would be ideal opponents for some point in 2011.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-British-boxing-prospects-to-watch-in-2011

Dallas is my pick of the heavyweights as well.

Throws great combinations, and has a wicked uppercut.

Is a bit too easy to hit at the moment, but fortunately has a decent chin and enough dig and workrate of his own, that it hasn't cost him any yet.

He could do with working on his defence, but that might take away from his hugely offensive style.

Should definitely go places anyway.

Shame he's not able to do it full time...

I'll do mine by weight:

- Heavyweight: David Price

- Cruiserweight: Matty Askin

- Light heavyweight: Tony Jeffries (or maybe Tony Bellew)

- Super middleweight: James DeGale

- Middleweight: Martin Murray

- Light middleweight: N/A

- Welterweight: Kell Brook

- Light welterweight: Frankie Gavin

- Lightweight: N/A (John Murray is 30-0 and too famous to be a prospect)

- Super featherweight: Gary Sykes

- Featherweight: Joe Murray

- Super bantamweight: Carl Frampton

- Bantamweight: N/A

- Super flyweight: Paul Edwards

- Flyweight: N/A

- Light flyweight: N/A

- Minimumweight: N/A

I'll do mine by weight:

- Heavyweight: David Price

- Cruiserweight: Matty Askin

- Light heavyweight: Tony Jeffries (or maybe Tony Bellew)

- Super middleweight: James DeGale

- Middleweight: Martin Murray

- Light middleweight: N/A

- Welterweight: Kell Brook

- Light welterweight: Frankie Gavin

- Lightweight: N/A (John Murray is 30-0 and too famous to be a prospect)

- Super featherweight: Gary Sykes

- Featherweight: Joe Murray

- Super bantamweight: Carl Frampton

- Bantamweight: N/A

- Super flyweight: Paul Edwards

- Flyweight: N/A

- Light flyweight: N/A

- Minimumweight: N/A

I would go for Stuart Hall at bantamweight, although he's not going to go too far, and is already 30, he's had a couple of nice wins lately.

Paul Edwards is the most lucky guy in the world to have won the British Flyweight title though!

Was pretty disgusting infact, that he blatantly fouled Bayaar, and then won the title, because the BBBofC are so inept as to not have changed the rules in time for the fight to have made it a NC like everyone else does!

I'm not a fan of Edwards', either for that fight, or for his ability, but everyone else on your list I quite like the look of.