Is Sven Ottke a Great Fighter?

WelshDevilRob

No this isn't a wind- up topic.

I'm looking into the fighter and wondering whether he gets a bad press or no.

I've posted the same topic on several sites to gauge opinion - I chose these sites as the members are hardcore boxing fans.

The other hardcore sites:

http://boxrec.com/forum/index.php

http://boxingbanter.com/index.php

http://budweiserboxing.forumcircle.com/index.php

http://thebtbc.com/index.php

http://talkboxingwithbillyc.proboards.com/index.cgi

This is a fighter that reigned for years at Super Middleweight though never Unified and you had the likes of Joe Calzaghe and fellow German Marcus Beyer in the division. He won the IBF title in his 13th fight against American Charles Brewer. He then defended it 21 times.

His record is here: http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_ ... &cat=boxer

Is the man a great or not? Does he make the Hall Of Fame?

Lol... Ya know what? I'm gonna be honest; I actually thought that Sven Ottke was a bloody good fighter. Very underrated - particularly over in these shores and in the United States. He was an excellent technician. Had a great jab. He was a master at darting within range using nimble footwork, gettin' his punches off and then scurrying away unharmed. I remember that ex-foe Byron Mitchell referred to him as a "Snake Charmer" which I think was an excellent way to describe his style. He was very intelligent. Also, I hate to correct such a top poster like Rob but I believe he DID actually unify. When he beat Mitchell, he was defending his IBF strap AND challenging for the Yanks WBA title. Certainly can't call him Undisputed based on that but the fact is that he did unify two of the big four titles.

Was he great fighter? No chance (even though the Krauts thought the sun shined out of his 'Arris). Far too many fighters on his record were sub standard and too many decisions were questionable. Because all of his bouts took place in Germany, he had the benefit of some serious "home cookin'". As Skav mentioned, if justice had been served, he wouldn't have retired as an undefeated fighter because Robin Reid kicked his arse only to be shafted on the decision. Also, I think the best thing Ottke ever did was keep away from Joe Calzaghe - that truly was a masterstroke! He would've definitely come unstuck there.

Still, Ottke wasn't the mug that many fans made him out to be. He could fight and he definitely deserves to be mentioned amongst the best Super-Middleweights of his era (but in fairness, I think it was a pretty poor era - no where near as competitive as today).

definitely not. hes a better fighter than some give him credit for, but he doesnt have the resume of greatness. i put him slightly below the level of joe calzaghe, another undefeated fighter with around the same number of title defenses. they are local greats i suppose, but not world greats.

I thought he was good, but he was definitely not a great.

He relied heavily on blatant referee corruption and biased judging on a good few occasions, and despite a few good wins, he never left Germany and rarely fought the better opponents in the division.

His record shouldn't be anywhere near undefeated. He had at least 2 or 3 losses in my eyes, despite what the record-books may say.

I thought he was good, but he was definitely not a great.

He relied heavily on blatant referee corruption and biased judging on a good few occasions, and despite a few good wins, he never left Germany and rarely fought the better opponents in the division.

His record shouldn't be anywhere near undefeated. He had at least 2 or 3 losses in my eyes, despite what the record-books may say.

It's exactly my opinion, well protected (Sauerland style's), certainly smart and quick but the great fighters are made of another league !!!

I think the same thing of Henry Maske, large only in the house garden

Certainly not a great in my book. Not enough career defining wins and a few really dodgy decisions.

I wouldn't dream of excusing Joe Calzaghe's (or RJJ's) reluctance to travel but they could point to some pretty solid reasons not to go abroad in that era. Ottke's dodgy hometown decisions were one of them.

I saw about 5 of his fights and every one was a farce. The biggest farce was his bout against Robin Reid in 2003 where the ref wouldn't even let Reid PUNCH him (he was actually breaking up JABS !!!!!). I've also read that all of his major wins were suspect. I will one day get round to watching all of them. And of course all of his bouts were in Germany (aside from one, i think i recall being in Austria: Same thing). From what i've seen and read the man was an utter farce.

He also only had 6 KO wins from a total of 34. A low KO ratio might be fine when you're down at 118lbs or up to about 147. But from MW and above you're not going to go far if you can't KO opponents.

I have no problem with a low KO% TBH, Maxie Rosenbloom was apparently a phenom but only scored 19KO's in 200+ wins and was a champ at 175.

He also only had 6 KO wins from a total of 34. A low KO ratio might be fine when you're down at 118lbs or up to about 147. But from MW and above you're not going to go far if you can't KO opponents.

I have no problem with a low KO% TBH, Maxie Rosenbloom was apparently a phenom but only scored 19KO's in 200+ wins and was a champ at 175.

It does highlight the fact that he relied heavily on judges scorecards though, and on many occasions he just didn't deserve the nod, but still came out victorious in every fight.

I do think that power is a necessity, in particular at higher weights, but you can also counter that by the fact he was never knocked down (as far as I know) let alone knocked out, and obviously had a decent chin.

He was a skillful fighter, but the Reid fight in particular summed him up for me, and you can't rely on many of his bigger fights being legitimate.

The referee in that fight was an absolute shambles, possibly the worst refereeing I have ever seen in a fight.

Lol... Ya know what? I'm gonna be honest; I actually thought that Sven Ottke was a bloody good fighter. Very underrated - particularly over in these shores and in the United States. He was an excellent technician. Had a great jab. He was a master at darting within range using nimble footwork, gettin' his punches off and then scurrying away unharmed. I remember that ex-foe Byron Mitchell referred to him as a "Snake Charmer" which I think was an excellent way to describe his style. He was very intelligent. Also, I hate to correct such a top poster like Rob but I believe he DID actually unify. When he beat Mitchell, he was defending his IBF strap AND challenging for the Yanks WBA title. Certainly can't call him Undisputed based on that but the fact is that he did unify two of the big four titles.

Was he great fighter? No chance (even though the Krauts thought the sun shined out of his 'Arris). Far too many fighters on his record were sub standard and too many decisions were questionable. Because all of his bouts took place in Germany, he had the benefit of some serious "home cookin'". As Skav mentioned, if justice had been served, he wouldn't have retired as an undefeated fighter because Robin Reid kicked his arse only to be shafted on the decision. Also, I think the best thing Ottke ever did was keep away from Joe Calzaghe - that truly was a masterstroke! He would've definitely come unstuck there.

Still, Ottke wasn't the mug that many fans made him out to be. He could fight and he definitely deserves to be mentioned amongst the best Super-Middleweights of his era (but in fairness, I think it was a pretty poor era - no where near as competitive as today).

Great insight Donkey...!

Wherever you rank Calzaghe, Ottke should not be far behind because they are practically the same fighter in terms of accomplishment.

They defeated a ton of bums to rake up title defences and the only thing that separates the two is Calzaghe actually defeated a very good, undefeated Kessler, and he also has a couple faded legends on his resume.

Wherever you rank Calzaghe, Ottke should not be far behind because they are practically the same fighter in terms of accomplishment.

They defeated a ton of bums to rake up title defences and the only thing that separates the two is Calzaghe actually defeated a very good, undefeated Kessler, and he also has a couple faded legends on his resume.

I can kind of see the sentiment here but Calzaghe did EVENTUALLY fight overseas, albeit it too late in his career and against aging, faded greats (Though BHop is proving otherwise).

Calzaghe also doesn't have the questionable decisions. Though his own fight with Reid was cose, and the Hopkins decisions, but they were by means robberies. It's clear Ottke got more than the odd gift decision.

Great insight Donkey...!

Thanks for the props grin//

• 2 weeks later...

The refereeing in that bout was the worst i have seen in my life. As Rob's gif points out, the ref was actually stopping Reid from PUNCHING Ottke. Not much more proof needed to show that Ottke's career was an absolute farce.

The fact he has 6 KOs from 34 wins just adds to it (such a weak level of punch suggests he needed help from judges as he was never going to win by KO).

And i certainly would rank Ottke anywhere near Joe Calzaghe or even Dariusz Michalczewski for that matter. Michalczewski was a talented fighter and packed one hell of a punch. Ottke wasn't exciting and didn't pack a punch.

And Joe Calzaghe has a better record than both of those guys. And i NEVER big up Joe Calzaghe.

I was a HUGE Calzaghe fan until around 2003-2004 then went off him because the major bouts never materialised.