Khan Defends Himself and Pacquiao Over Drug Allegations

WelshDevilRob

Khan Defends Himself and Pacquiao Over Drug Allegations

By Nick Parkinson, courtesy of The Daily Star

AMIR KHAN has hit back at drug rumours and insists both he and Manny ­Pacquiao are clean.

Khan’s conditioning coach Alex Ariza says Marcos Maidana’s trainer Miguel Diaz called him “a fraud” following the Bolton boxer’s impressive points win over the Argentine in Las Vegas earlier this month.

Ariza even claims Diaz called him “a cheat” and strongly denied Khan uses anything illegal to prepare for his fights.

Khan’s former foe Paulie ­Malignaggi alleged he had once thought that the Bolton boxer could be using performance-boosting drugs ahead of their bout earlier this year.

But WBA world light-welterweight champion Khan has dismissed the slurs and claimed his knockers are just jealous.

He said: “It is hurtful. I am drug tested and have never tested positive because I am so clean.

“I don’t even drink. I would never, ever take a banned substance. I would never cheat in sport.

“Why would I want to cheat in sport or take drugs?

“I am too scared to take something like that because I train so hard and my body is so fit.

“When people say these things about you, they are just trying to make you look bad.

“Why don’t people say Maidana is on something because the power he has got is mad? He has got power that not many fighters have.

“I think a lot of people are jealous.”

Khan trains with the world’s best boxer Pacquiao, the Filipino who has so far failed to agree terms to a mega-fight with Floyd Mayweather Jnr because of a row over pre-fight drug testing.

Pacquiao-Mayweather is the fight boxing fans are desperate to see happen in 2011 along with ­Britain’s David Haye against Ukrainian Wladimir Klitschko in a world heavyweight title ­unification clash.

Khan, 24, defended Pacquiao’s stance on refusing Mayweather’s demands and insists the Pac Man is no drug cheat.

He said: “I have been hit by Manny Pacquiao’s best shot and not gone down.

“I have seen his speed and power and still think he is a normal, clean fighter who is not on drugs.

“Manny is wary of any drugs and dislikes injections of any kind.

“We were in a car a few months ago in the ­Philippines – me, him and Alex Ariza.

“I said ‘Manny, when will you fight Floyd Mayweather?’ He said, ‘He don’t want to fight me’.

“I joked, ‘Get off them drugs then’ and he replied, ‘Amir, I will never take a drug in my life but when Mayweather is demanding I take tests every day it is mental and I’m not ready for that’.”

Khan believes his two wins in America this year – over Yank Malignaggi in May and ­Maidana – have finally got rid of the demons that still haunted him as a result of his first round KO defeat to Colombian hitman Breidis Prescott back in September 2008.

He said: “One of my biggest achievements of 2010 has been ridding myself of the demons from Prescott.

“Not many fighters get the ­opportunity to come back in the way that I have done from that Prescott fight.”

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think following the refusal to agree to Mayweather's testing requests, and Pacquiao's performance in the ring, drug allegatons will follow him. However, can't see why Khan would use PEDs though, I suppose the assocaition with Pacquiao and Roach lead to people to taint him with the same lable. But, I don't think either of the pair use drugs, they are just good (with one being better than the other though).

I think the drug stuff was a smoke screen from the Mayweather camp not to fight Manny.

Amir Khan is not on drugs, his religion is deeply against such things and even alcohol, so he won't be taking anything.

I do find it funny that the Mayweather camp, who have Roger and Floyd Snr, accuse others of drug taking - I'd bet my house them two are on something - they are like a pair of smackheads around the place.

I think the drug stuff was a smoke screen from the Mayweather camp not to fight Manny.

Amir Khan is not on drugs, his religion is deeply against such things and even alcohol, so he won't be taking anything.

I do find it funny that the Mayweather camp, who have Roger and Floyd Snr, accuse others of drug taking - I'd bet my house them two are on something - they are like a pair of smackheads around the place.

Absolutely agree!

Floyd couldn't price himself out of the Pacquiao fight so it was genius to come up with the steroid allegations.

And rather spiteful.

I don't for a minute think Khan is on drugs, there has never been anything to suggest otherwise.

I think its a bit harsh to call him a cheat for the other things too Iam, most if not all boxers do things such as that if they can get away with it. floyd's defense often borders on cheating, as does BHops and many others. Its a bit like calling a football a cheat for committing a foul. It isn't as if he tries to hide what he is doing.

I don't for a minute think Khan is on drugs, there has never been anything to suggest otherwise.

I think its a bit harsh to call him a cheat for the other things too Iam, most if not all boxers do things such as that if they can get away with it. floyd's defense often borders on cheating, as does BHops and many others. Its a bit like calling a football a cheat for committing a foul. It isn't as if he tries to hide what he is doing.

I was trying to be a bit tongue in cheek tbh, but i'd compare it more to a football diving as he got away with it...

Anyone who thinks Mayweather is scared of any fighter in his weight division should take up following tiddlywinks. He's just letting Pakow know that if any shots are to be called he will be the one calling them.

Pakow and Scroat, are happy demanding weight restrictions, and financial penalties from all and sundry. Mayweather is a the bigger earner, and far superior to anyone the Filipino has faced, so he will make them jump through hoops to get the fight, in his own good time.

You can postulate all you want; however, all Manny needed to have done, at least the first time around - before he ran away to fight the suddenly-re-born-bum Clottey for much less - was to agree to OST. He didnt. What did Floyd do? He took on what was generally considered at that time to be a tougher challenge and a more dangerous fighter, SSM, precisely what many were screaming to the heavens he would never dare.

Nowadays, and all of a sudden, we hear Manny is open to OST for the soon-to-be-40-SSM fight. Go figure.

P34c3

I think the drug stuff was a smoke screen from the Mayweather camp not to fight Manny. ...

And in case you overlooked this piece: The first time around, Roach vowed he would never agree to Floyd's demand for OST, because, according to him (Roach,) that would be tantamount to giving the first two rounds away [to Floyd.]

Nowadays, maybe because Floyd is reported to have other problems ouside the ring, every Dick and Harry is taking turns to take a swipe at him and turn history on its head.

This, too, shall pass; and I pray we soon again see the beautiful science as showcased by PBF in this era. But may be that's just me.

P34c3

I think the drug stuff was a smoke screen from the Mayweather camp not to fight Manny. ...

And in case you overlooked this piece: The first time around, Roach vowed he would never agree to Floyd's demand for OST, because, according to him (Roach,) that would be tantamount to giving the first two rounds away [to Floyd.]

Nowadays, maybe because Floyd is reported to have other problems ouside the ring, every Dick and Harry is taking turns to take a swipe at him and turn history on its head.

This, too, shall pass; and I pray we soon again see the beautiful science as showcased by PBF in this era. But may be that's just me.

P34c3

I shall state that I am not a 'fanboy' of either, I like both fighters and admire their talents in the ring.

Neither side is completely blameless in why this fight never happened and its naive for anyone to put the blame solely on one camp.

The drug testing saga from both sides and their fans was a bore, the fight needed to happen and still does. Both fighting a known drug taker like Shane Mosley makes a mockery of principles with regards to 'PED's' and Floyd vs Manny.

We may see Floyd getting back in the ring and he needs to start focusing on boxing otherwise he'll end up in jail and might be headed that way next year. While Floyd is poking minimum wage security guards in the face and not fighting, Manny is staying busy - which one is gonna be better prepared come fight time?

Floyd Mayweather nor Manny Pacquiao is the Greatest fighter that ever lived but they are fantastic fighters and this fight needs to happen. I personally think its only Floyd standing in the way of it.

I generally don't know whether this type of argument can hold water. Since when has the tenets of their religion deterred suicide bombers?

Since when has the preaching of Islam deterred some Moslems from doing drugs, or getting as much as drunk with alcohol whether in private or public?

P34c3

I generally don't know whether this type of argument can hold water. Since when has the tenets of their religion deterred suicide bombers?

Since when has the preaching of Islam deterred some Moslems from doing drugs, or getting as much as drunk with alcohol whether in private or public?

P34c3

You make valid points. But we all know this is just a smear campaign at Roachs gym. Khan unfortunately for him is getting dragged into it. He drags into enough mess with his twitter account.

I don't like this underhanded stuff. Mayweathers people need to put up or shut up and stay out of jail.

Taking drugs ain't as bad as hitting a woman, is it, or do you disagree?

P34c3

I shall state that I am not a 'fanboy' of either, I like both fighters and admire their talents in the ring.

Neither side is completely blameless in why this fight never happened and its naive for anyone to put the blame solely on one camp.

The drug testing saga from both sides and their fans was a bore, the fight needed to happen and still does. Both fighting a known drug taker like Shane Mosley makes a mockery of principles with regards to 'PED's' and Floyd vs Manny.

We may see Floyd getting back in the ring and he needs to start focusing on boxing otherwise he'll end up in jail and might be headed that way next year. While Floyd is poking minimum wage security guards in the face and not fighting, Manny is staying busy - which one is gonna be better prepared come fight time?

Floyd Mayweather nor Manny Pacquiao is the Greatest fighter that ever lived but they are fantastic fighters and this fight needs to happen. I personally think its only Floyd standing in the way of it.

I won't as much as call you a Pac fan boy, but your writing is clearly biased, IMO, although you're trying to wriggle out of it. First you clearly and unambiguously laid the drug-testing blame on PBF until you've been called out on it. Now you are saying you "personally think it's only Floyd standing in the way of it." In all of these, no single, specific blame on Pac. Where else could your sympathy lie? It's not as if there's anything wrong with your sympathy lying with the Pac camp, IMHO.

P34c3

P34c3

I won't as much as call you a Pac fan boy, but your writing is clearly biased, IMO, although you're trying to wriggle out of it. First you clearly and unambiguously laid the drug-testing blame on PBF until you've been called out on it. Now you are saying you "personally think it's only Floyd standing in the way of it." In all of these, no single, specific blame on Pac. Where else could your sympathy lie? It's not as if there's anything wrong with your sympathy lying with the Pac camp, IMHO.

P34c3

Ok, I can see how it came across that way, so my fault for making it look that way.

I blame both sides, you I feel are only putting the blame at Manny's door. When you get promoters like Arum and GoldenBoy involved there is gonna be a huge difference in opinion.

I am known here as a David Haye 'nuthugger' and on many sites - I am not Manny or Floyd - thats a fact. grin//

If I seem anti Floyd then from my impartial view - I blame him for the fight not taking place, I just don't think he wanted to fight. Thats an opinion not a Pro Manny stance or Anti Floyd. I think the fight is 50/50 on who wins - I just want to see it and politics etc is getting in the way.

Taking PED's is just cheating at sport. Hitting women is a criminal offence, so there is no comparison, and comparing the two is just taking a cheap shot at the fighter you dont like as much as the other.

Personally i'm far more concerned about a fighter who is a short armed little guy calling himself a Welterweight when he clearly isn't unless it comes to beating useless lumps of wood like Clottey.

Anyone remotely percieved as a threat has weight restriction demands made upon them with massive financial penalties should those restrictions not be met.

All fine and dandy for the fans of the Arum, Roach, and Pakow travelling circus, but as a serious Welterweight Champion, dont lets be silly about this.

Roach: Mayweather Would Be Difficult, But Pacquiao Wins

By Ruslan Chikov

Trainer Freddie Roach was quoted by Golzka regarding Floyd Mayweather Jr. silence on a possible fight with Manny Pacquiao. The Filipino will defend his WBO welterweight title against Shane Mosley on May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The promoter for Pacquiao, Top Rank, tried to reach Mayweather. He never returned their calls and the Mosley deal was finalized.

"I don't know what it is. I don't know if he really wants to fight. I think Mayweather is more concerned with protecting the zero on his record. It's not about money. He cares more about being undefeated so he can tell people he's the greatest fighter of all-time. Mayweather's style is difficult but it's a fight we could win," Roach said.

I think the whole issue of PED's in the Wildcard gym has been overhyped by Team Mayweather tbh! Saying that, i'd be asking for the same stringent testing if I was PBF. It would be the most lucrative fight in the history of the sport so theres no harm in ensuring both fighters start on an even playinf field However, some of their behaviour has been OTT, they seem to be making suggestions that Manny/Amir are on PEDs without any proof and trying to peddle their opinions as facts - Manny/Amir have every reason to be upset.

I think the whole issue of PED's in the Wildcard gym has been overhyped by Team Mayweather tbh! Saying that, i'd be asking for the same stringent testing if I was PBF. It would be the most lucrative fight in the history of the sport so theres no harm in ensuring both fighters start on an even playinf field However, some of their behaviour has been OTT, they seem to be making suggestions that Manny/Amir are on PEDs without any proof and trying to peddle their opinions as facts - Manny/Amir have every reason to be upset.

As i said previously Joe, Mayweather is just playing with the Arum, Roach, Pakow travelling circus. He knows about the 3 million dollars per pound over 147 penalty on Oscar when they fought. He knows about the 142 limit they tried to put on Mosley, before they signed to fight Hatton.

He knows about the 145 limit put on Cotto

He was just puffing his chest out and ruffling his feathers, showing that he can call the shots, and he's been proved correct, because since then we've had yet another bullshit fight at catchweight with Margarito.

It amazes me that blind fanboys know absolutely f**k all about psychology. They ask why Mayweather is silent. He doesn't need to say anything, he just sits back and watches the Pakow camp look stupid with their catchweight fiasco's, and fighting guys he's already humiliated.

As i said previously Joe, Mayweather is just playing with the Arum, Roach, Pakow travelling circus. He knows about the 3 million dollars per pound over 147 penalty on Oscar when they fought. He knows about the 142 limit they tried to put on Mosley, before they signed to fight Hatton.

He was just puffing his chest out and ruffling his feathers, showing that he can call the shots, and he's been proved correct, because since then we've had yet another B*lls**t fight at catchweight with Margarito.

It amazes me that blind fanboys know absolutely f**k all about psychology. They ask why Mayweather is silent. He doesn't need to say anything, he just sits back and watches the Pakow camp look stupid with their catchweight fiasco's, and fighting guys he's already humiliated.

+1 here as well McBride; thank you for putting it so succinctly.

P34c3

He was just puffing his chest out and ruffling his feathers, showing that he can call the shots, and he's been proved correct, because since then we've had yet another B*lls**t fight at catchweight with Margarito.

If you know so much about psychology then you would know that Pac wouldn't bow down to Floyd's demands because it is about ego!

Floyd isn't playing with anyone, he's crying at the fact he's been upstaged by the little Filipino and his "easy fights, easy pay days" career approach has been screwed with.

And general public opinion is that most blame Floyd for the fight not happening. Sure, Manny has his critics for having TWO catchweight fights.

What the hell you talking about Manny fighting Floyd's leftovers?

It was just Oscar. Oscar, himself, was only two fights away from retirement when Floyd fought him.

Would Floyd get in the ring with Margarito? Ah, no, he decided to leave that cool 8 mill and fight Baldomir instead, another easy pay day and title.

Did Floyd fight Cotto?

No, he sat back, relaxed in his rocking chair while Cotto, Mosley and Margarito all bashed one another up!

Oh, but, now Cotto has been comprehensively bashed up TWICE, reports came out not so long ago that a Mayweather vs Cotto fight could now potentially be made.

That's a surprise, isn't it(!)

Why you are on the side of a mentally fragile, opponent dodging, wife beating, money grabbing fraud begs belief.

It's the Floyd fans that have been taken for mugs.

He doesn't deserve fans.

Do you really think he'd appreciate your support? Give over, will ya!

He only wants your $$$$.

I like how you harp on about Manny's catchweight fights so much.

I dread to think what you would have said about Leonard had the internet been available back in the day.

If you can only pick faults such as Manny's catchweights and ALLEGED steroid use, then that's a compliment to me.

Keep trying!

I dont take any notice of silly Pakow / Leonard nuthuggers that fall for the Catchweight bollox. It does wrankle though when they mention great fighters like Duran, and Hearns who went up through the weights and fought guys for titles without any stips, in the same breath as the pathetic little Fillipino creep.

The lies about Mayweather aren't insulting, they are a joke. He isn't crying about the Fillipino at all, he's just ignoring the muppet. Blood tests or no fight.

Now lets see, knocked out twice, beaten by a semi shot Morales. Still without an emphatic win over JMM. Of course the unbeaten Mayweather has to accomodate the runt. lol// lol// lol//

Mayweather / Marquez, more PPV's and more money than Pakow /Cotto.

Ditto Mayweather / Mosley compared to Pakow / Margarito.

Yeah he's really crying about that.

Keep hugging the nuts Skav, until you get a boyfriend of your own.