Manny vs Mosley is signed

WelshDevilRob

Manny Pacquiao agrees to May 7 fight at MGM

Fighter to face Sugar Shane Mosley for WBO welterweight title at the MGM Grand Garden Arena

http://photos.lasvegassun.com/media/img/photos/2010/04/29/Marcus04_t653.JPG?214bc4f9d9bd7c08c7d0f6599bb3328710e01e7b

Referee Kenny Bayless checks on Ricky Hatton after Manny Pacquiao knocked out Hatton in the second round of their junior welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada May 2, 2009. Pacquiao’s Filipino trainer Buboy Fernandez is at right.

---------------

Manny Pacquiao plans to fight Sugar Shane Mosley in his next bout May 7 in Las Vegas.

Promoter Bob Arum told The Associated Press on Tuesday night that the deal will be done after Mosley’s lawyers approve the final paperwork for the WBO welterweight title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Arum says Pacquiao chose the bout because Mosley is the most accomplished and famous boxer in the field of candidates, which included Juan Manuel Marquez and welterweight champion Andre Berto.

“He’s the most recognizable name, and it’s a difficult fight for him,” said Arum, who met with Pacquiao in the Philippines last week. “People are also saying, ‘Well, why hasn’t he fought an African-American fighter?’ He’s doing that, but mostly it’s because Mosley is the biggest name.”

AdChoices

Pacquiao also realizes a potential superbout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. is likely still impossible because of the Mayweather family’s various legal troubles.

Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs) is on top of the boxing world after trouncing Antonio Margarito in a one-sided decision in Texas on Nov. 13. The 32-year-old Filipino congressman has won 13 straight fights while claiming world titles in an astonishing eight weight classes, most recently taking the WBC 154-pound belt with his win over Margarito.

Arum realizes he could have trouble selling a fight against a nearly 40-year-old opponent who will be nearly 2 1/2 years removed from his last victory when he faces Pacquiao, but he believes Mosley’s skill and speed will challenge Pacquiao.

“That was obviously a negative, but Shane Mosley is capable of doing great things,” Arum said.

Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) is near the tail end of a remarkable career that began in 1993. The former three-division champion has won just two of his past five fights, getting walloped by Mayweather in an unanimous decision last May before fighting to a dull draw with Sergio Mora on Sept. 18.

The deal further cements Mosley’s acrimonious split from Golden Boy, Oscar De La Hoya’s promotional company.

Mosley was a founding partner in Golden Boy, but he has cut ties with the organization since his draw with Mora last September, even refusing to answer phone calls from Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer. Mosley apparently was angry that Golden Boy pushed Marquez, the talented Mexican champion, as Pacquiao’s next opponent.

Golden Boy and Top Rank, Arum’s promotion, are involved in a bitter rivalry. The companies have become unwilling to match any of their fighters against each other, which likely proved to be an insurmountable obstacle for Golden Boy’s Marquez.

Pacquiao and Marquez have fought twice before, with a draw in 2004 and a split-decision win for Pacquiao in 2008. Both fights were thrilling contests that easily could have been decided for Marquez, who has been campaigning for a third bout since moments after their second fight ended.

After straying to suburban Dallas for his victories this year over Joshua Clottey and Margarito in cavernous Cowboys Stadium, Pacquiao is eager to return to Las Vegas, where his fights always attract thousands of fans eager to pump gambling money into Nevada’s struggling gaming industry.

“It’s great to do a promotion where I can sleep in my own bed,” Arum said.

Mosley didn’t immediately return a call to his cell phone.

I think Manny's on a hiding to nothing with this one.

Shane IS going to trouble him.

Making it look any less easy than Floyd did, and it's some ammo for the doubters.

Beating a guy with his recent record, despite imo, still being one of the best welterweights out there and one of the toughest tests around the division, will lead to almost no credit given to him.

I don't see it as a mismatch, although this time around, Pacquiao will be the very clear favourite.

Shane will have his moments, and isn't the "come forward" variety who has been served up to him recently.

Shane is something different - a guy who can box, has power and has speed.

He may be past his best, but imo, is still a dangerous opponent.

In fairness, I did think the same about Cotto and Margarito, and Manny completely dismantled them.

Mosley is a different kettle of fish though and Manny may have to go looking for him, leaving himself open in the process.

It's going to be no walk in the park, but I do expect Pacquiao to prevail.

Its my birthday on May 20th and a mate of mine has her birthday on 27th May, we decided we're going to Vegas for our birthdays in 2011 but said we'd hang fire on booking incase a decent fight came up - we're gonna stick to the original plan of flying out on 26th May, this fight stinks.

Berto would have been a live opponent for Manny and stylistically JMM would have been interesting too but i'm afraid i'll be watching this via a stream

It's going to be no walk in the park

Only because it's a walk in the garden.

Mosley has looked pretty horrible for most of his fights in the last few years, excluding Margarito, and who knows what qwould have happened if Margarito had actually fought back?

Mosley is too slow, too tentative and not talented enough to trouble Pacquiao particularly. I wouldn't be too surprtised to see the ref stepping in somewhere around round 8, but if he doesn't, Pacquiao UD by a mile.

not even bothered about this anymroe to be honest

if Manny goes on to fight Marquez and Berto nobody can complain

People have developed a habit of excusing walkovers on the provuiso that the fighter takes someone competitive next time out. Given Pacquiao's now had 3 in a row, why would he have a difficult couple to follow? If he's the greatest fighter in the world, he should be fighting the best, therwise he just continues his evolution into floyd Mayweather.

People have developed a habit of excusing walkovers on the provuiso that the fighter takes someone competitive next time out. Given Pacquiao's now had 3 in a row, why would he have a difficult couple to follow? If he's the greatest fighter in the world, he should be fighting the best, therwise he just continues his evolution into floyd Mayweather.

Even if he did start to emulate Floyd who could complain with Pac's past achievements?

Even if he did start to emulate Floyd who could complain with Pac's past achievements?

Me - you're either a world champion or you're not. If you are, start fighting contenders and making defences. If you're not, let go of the titles and fuck off. But yeah, obviously Pacquiao's by far and away the greatest fighter in the history of the sport so he's allowed to do what he likes.

Ha...

I have never heard Cotto, Clottey and Margarito classed as "walkovers!"

Or Mosley for that matter.

The fact Pacquiao IS walking over them is testament to his own ability.

The fact is he's on a hiding to nothing now, because people are going to pick apart EVERY single one of his opponents, unless it's Floyd or someone ridiculously too big, which even then I can see some excuses as to why they are a bad choice.

Berto - an untested novice, who holds a paper title, and has a lot to prove.

Marquez - Fighting at too high a weight, already outclassed by Floyd, and past his peak.

Guzman - Never heard him being mentioned yet, but again a guy with weight issues, who is naturally smaller, getting on a bit and has no dedication.

Brook - Untested.

Khan - Not on the same level.

Bradley - a 140 lb'er who isn't all that great.

Alexander - Looked horrible in his last 2 fights.

Maidana - Outclassed by Khan and one dimensional.

Ortiz - No heart.

......Anyone else???

I give Pacquiao respect for actually fighting the better fighters in the division.

He has opted for 147 lbs, and has already dealt with 3 of the top 5 fighters in the weight class.

Mosley is the 4th and Floyd would be the icing on the cake.

We all know why the fight isn't happening though.

People have developed a habit of excusing walkovers on the proviso that the fighter takes someone competitive next time out. Given Pacquiao's now had 3 in a row, why would he have a difficult couple to follow? If he's the greatest fighter in the world, he should be fighting the best, therwise he just continues his evolution into floyd Mayweather.

Ha...

Cotto was niot included - I was referring to Clottey, Margarito and Mosley. I thought Clottey would be game but was still a foregone conclusion, I said all along I expected PAcquiao too stop Margarito, who was tailor-made especially after looking so poor in his comeback. And I say Mosley is a walkover, because why wouldn;t he be? Pacquiao is probably faster than Mayweather and is more aggressive, so he'll rattle combos off Mosley's head while Mosley's still wondering when the bell will ring and he can pick up his cheque.

I don't see why you give Mosley such a great chance when he struggled against Mora and Mayorga to name but two.

As to the list of opponents, there is nothing wrong with taking any of the 140lb champions, or Berto, and it's becoming another Mayweather parallel. "Oh he'd win anyway, he doesn't need to fight them so we might as well be happy he's fighting Gatti." Well I'm not happy, I want Pacquiao to prove he deserves the acclaim he's been given, and he's not going to do that fighting Arum's choice of has-beens. I suppose if Mosley loses a lopsided decision to Pacquiao he should get yet another title shot because, hey, Pacquiao's the greatest, so losing to him doesn't mean anything.

It's a game Frank Warren's played for years and I hate it.

People have developed a habit of excusing walkovers on the proviso that the fighter takes someone competitive next time out. Given Pacquiao's now had 3 in a row, why would he have a difficult couple to follow? If he's the greatest fighter in the world, he should be fighting the best, therwise he just continues his evolution into floyd Mayweather.

Ha...

Cotto was niot included - I was referring to Clottey, Margarito and Mosley. I thought Clottey would be game but was still a foregone conclusion, I said all along I expected PAcquiao too stop Margarito, who was tailor-made especially after looking so poor in his comeback. And I say Mosley is a walkover, because why wouldn;t he be? Pacquiao is probably faster than Mayweather and is more aggressive, so he'll rattle combos off Mosley's head while Mosley's still wondering when the bell will ring and he can pick up his cheque.

I don't see why you give Mosley such a great chance when he struggled against Mora and Mayorga to name but two.

I don't think you'll find any quote from me saying he has a "great" chance.

I said he had "a" chance, and a slim one at that.

I said it wouldn't be a walkover though, because Pacquiao looks at his best with come-forward fighters who show no defence.

He throws fast combinations against open guys and lands hard punches, then gets out of range.

He's going to have to go looking for openings or will have to create openings versus Mosley, and while he does, he will be open to counter.

Mosley is going to be the biggest one-punch fighter he'll have faced to date imo, and will certainly ask some questions, just as he did of Floyd in round 2 of their fight.

Pacquiao is far easier to hit than Floyd is, and hence it's pretty safe to assume he'll get more openings of his own against Manny than he did against Floyd, and Shane is a guy who can certainly take advantage of them.

Now, I'm not saying he has a good chance of pulling off the upset, because I would bet my house on Manny winning.

However, he does still have a chance, and I would bet my house on Manny beating absolutely ANY fighter in and around the weight class.

He's no different to anyone else mentioned, in that Manny is the heavy heavy favourite. I would suspect that Manny would probably be the bookies favourite against even Floyd, or anyone else even regarded somewhere close to his level, let alone a Mosley, a Berto or a Marquez.

I don't really know what you want out of the guy, and I highly doubt whether you could name anyone a whole lot better who isn't Floyd Mayweather or a natural middleweight.

I'd forgotten he's now a light-middleweight champion, which opens up a wholwe load of other possibilites.

I think most of the fighters you named are better than Mosley - he could fight one of the 140lb champs, or Berto, or Marquez, or one of the loght-middles or..more or less anyone who isn't a complete has-been or a drug cheat or both.

Failing that, why not take his current strategy to its logical conclusion and offer David Haye a fight for his WBA world heavyweight crown, with the proviso that Haye meets him at, say 200lbs.

Mosley doesn't pose any threat whatsoever.He has looked shot to shit in his last two fights and I have no reason to believe he'll have suddenly improved since then.

Pacquiao will be rattling off combinations against Mosley's noggin until the referee spares the old man and the viewing audience anymore of this mismatch.

This is cherry picking and there's no excuse for it.

the thing that really upsets me about mosley is that is so obvious that he cant pull the trigger anymore.

for arum to pretend that mosley is a bigger fight than marquez on cinco de mayo weekend is laughable.

this whole fight reeks of arum trying to put one over on golden boy...

and of course, pacquiao will get off free by the boxing press who are still entrenched in their love affair him.

Its funny how the masses would have more sway regarding the promoters and managers if we all boycotted the event.

We could definitely get the fights that need to be made made.

Hopefully, one day, they see that, and we don't have to go V for Vendetta on them.

Berto, JMM would have been much better.

There are 3 big useless dollops in the welterweight division, whose idea of defence is to insert their gumshields. Margarito, Clottey, and Baldomir. Human punchbags to anyone with good mobility. Mayweather was rightly slaughtered for fighting one of them, and Pakow should be slaughtered for fighting the other 2.

Mosley could well pose a problem for a few rounds with his long armed reach, but after that if the Fillipino works him out ( though that is a far from forgone conclusion, as he is not a clever fighter, rather a supremely fit one ) then its just a very wide UD.