Team Haye agree to 50/50 split

WelshDevilRob

Booth agrees Wlad purse split

Adam Booth says the ball is firmly in Wladimir Klitschko's court to agree a fight with David Haye after the Brit agreed to a 50-50 split of revenues.

Haye's trainer and manager reports the WBA heavyweight champion has given the WBO and IBF king 'the deal he has wanted from day one' in a bid to unify the titles.

Klitschko has set a deadline of January 4 to agree terms for the unification clash, and Booth claims all previous stumbling blocks have been removed.

"We are now perfectly positioned to get together and make this fight with Wladimir Klitschko," said Booth.

"We have sorted out all the old problems and disagreements and are ready to sign the deal both (Klitschko's manager) Bernd Boente and I discussed on Sky Sports' Ringside show in November.

"Despite the fact we know we bring more UK television money to the table, David and I are happy to split the entire pot 50:50 and grant Wladimir the deal he has wanted since day one.

"We have offered them 50:50 on everything - just as they requested - and now see no reason why this tremendous fight can't happen. The path is clear."

Haye added that he sees no reason why Klitschko should not agree to a unification fight in 2011.

"We have now ticked every box they have asked us to tick and I just hope Wladimir is as eager to fight as he tells everyone he is," said Haye.

"We have removed every possible excuse and have shown we are serious about making this fight become a reality. I'll smoke him out if I have to.

"I only pray Wladimir is as serious as we are, because this fight needs to happen for the good of the sport."

Booth did not state where the proposed fight would take place, but, having compromised on the revenue split it is unlikely Haye would be happy to travel outside the UK.

Source:

http://www.skysports.com/

Booth did not state where the proposed fight would take place, but, having compromised on the revenue split it is unlikely Haye would be happy to travel outside the UK.

It's only this part I reserve judgement on, because in my opinion there is no compromise.

50/50 is a very good deal for Haye, and not that I'd be disappointed in the venue being in the UK, I think it may yet prove to be a stumbling block.

Let's hope not!

Good to see that the 50/50 is agreed. This must mean the fight is on whether its in Las Vegas, UK or somewhere neutral. I highly doubt it will be in Germany.

I think Goldenboy Promotions have probably talked some sense into Adam Booth and thats why we are now likely to get the best match-up the Heavyweight division has to offer.

I've just read about this on the BBC Sport website, and it's a step in the right direction. One quote I am not happy about though is.....

"Despite the fact we know we bring more UK television money to the table, David and I are happy to split the entire pot 50-50 and grant Wladimir the deal he has wanted since day one."

I thought Haye was always moaning about the brothers' demands AND uneven purse split. However if they were offering 50/50 "since day one" why has this fight taken over 2 years to materialise?

I've just read about this on the BBC Sport website, and it's a step in the right direction. One quote I am not happy about though is.....

"Despite the fact we know we bring more UK television money to the table, David and I are happy to split the entire pot 50-50 and grant Wladimir the deal he has wanted since day one."

I thought Haye was always moaning about the brothers' demands AND uneven purse split. However if they were offering 50/50 "since day one" why has this fight taken over 2 years to materialise?

I don't think they mean from the originally scheduled fight - no way in the World Haye would have been offered 50/50 back then. His only money was coming from Setanta who went bust.

I think I'll refrain from getting excited, (not in that sense!), until the fighters are in the ring, and the opening bell sounds.

Yes, I think we are a little way off an agreement. However, it sounds as if things are moving in the right direction and the respective camps may be making progress. A signed contract will be the marker for a rise in my pulse rate!

Klitschko's Manager Disputes Booth's Version of The Talks

by Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com spoke with Bernd Boente, manager of WBO/IBO/IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko, to get an update on the ongoing negotiations for a unification clash with WBA champion David Haye. In an earlier news brief on BoxingScene, Haye's manager Adam Booth advised British paper, The Guardian, that his fighter agreed to a full 50-50 deal, but Klitschko was refusing to sign a contract.

"I have been negotiating with Bernd Boente, Wladimir Klitschko's manager, and two days ago I offered him a 50-50 split of everything, including the British pay-per-view money. And that the fight could be on RTL [German TV network] and could be held anywhere they wanted to make the most revenue, including in Germany.

"Those were the only two points we were negotiating. But Bernd Boente came back and said: 'No point continuing. Forget about it. You do your fight and we'll do ours.' Wladimir was copied in on all the emails so I don't know why they are refusing. That is the question Boente refused to answer. Either Wladimir does not want to fight David Haye or, maybe, it is because they have this deal with RTL and they want to get that fight out of the way."

According to Boente, Booth is not disclosing the exact details which are currently preventing the negotiations from moving forward. Booth's statements are not entirely false. Haye finally agreed to a 50-50 split on the revenue generated from British pay-per-view. In the past, Haye refused to split the British television money.

However, an entirely new problem came up.

The Klitschko brothers have an exclusive television contract with RTL. Booth is claiming that rival German network ARD, the television partner of Haye's co-promoter Sauerland Event, is willing to pay a higher licensing fee to carry the fight on their network. Booth wants Klitschko's side to pay the difference between the two television offers.

Klitschko and his team have no interest in paying the difference because Haye's co-promotional agreements have nothing to do with them. If Haye wants to do the fight right now, Boente has advised him to regulate the situation with Sauerland. If he doesn't, then the fight is pushed back to a later date and Klitschko moves forward with a title defense against Dereck Chisora.

Boente told BoxingScene that he was personally informed by some very reliable sources that ARD has no intention on making an offer on Klitschko-Haye. He believes Sauerland is leading Booth on.

"Booth is complaining that another TV station in Germany is willing to pay more money. For example, if RTL was paying $1 million and then ARD wanted to pay $1.5 million, he wants us to personally pay the difference to him, $500,000, so he can pay his partner, Sauerland. What do we have to do with the deal on your side? I told him 'yes' to 50-50, but he has to honor our current deal with RTL. Our deal is for two more Klitschko fights, Wladimir or Vitali. Vitali Klitschko against Solis in March and then the fight afterwards is Wladimir's fight," Boente told BoxingScene.com.

"So either we fight Chisora and then the [RTL] contract will be over and then we can discuss it. We will likely remain with RTL which is our long term partner, but there could be a different possibility then. But right now, we have a contract with RTL. He has to honor it or pass and we have to pass, and he has to fight [Ruslan] Chagaev and we have to fight Chisora - and then we try to make a deal afterwards. If he wants the fight now, he has to understand that we have a deal with RTL and we have to live with that deal."

"Sauerland told him that he will get more money from their German TV. But, there is something that Adam does not understand. The TV executives on the absolute highest level talk to each other in general, and not only on this small issue. I can definitely tell you that ARD will not make an offer for this fight. Whatever Sauerland tells him is nonsense, it's not the truth."

"I told him, 'Adam, if you want to show me an official letter from ARD making the offer, let me see it,' but he can't deliver. The only thing that he can deliver is emails from Sauerland telling him that he can get more money, but we don't care because there is no offer. There won't be no offer right now because they [ARD] honor the contract we have with RTL and that's the end of the story."

Klitschko has to reach an agreement with Haye by the first week of January or honor a pre-existing agreement to reschedule his canceled fight with Chisora.

Source:

www.boxingscene.com

To be honest I thought it was too good to be true, and Booth is severely hampering Haye as a top level heavyweight.

His negotiating skills are non-existant.

Everything the Klitschko's have come back with are long known issues which Booth is so far, for some bizarre reason, refusing to concede on.

Meh.

The whole set of negotiations stink of sh*t!

To be honest I can see where the Haye camp are coming from on negotiating this. I know it's boring now and everyone is getting annoyed at the process and just want the fight to happen.

Haye has agreed to give up 50% of the UK split which I think everyone will acknowledge is a huge amount of money compared to what K2 bring to the table from their side. Now K2 offer 50% of their TV deal which isn't even the best deal out there. I can see why Haye and his team are pushing that.

My deal is worth £10m and that is the best deal I can get, here is 50% Mr Klitschko. Thanks David, well my deal is worth £1m but we could get more from another TV station but we are tied down, here is our 50%.

The annoying thing is that it takes them so long to discuss these issues. Just book a conference with everyone in the room, TV execs, fighters, managers, promoters, agents, tea boys, catering companies and get the deal done!

To be honest I can see where the Haye camp are coming from on negotiating this. I know it's boring now and everyone is getting annoyed at the process and just want the fight to happen.

Haye has agreed to give up 50% of the UK split which I think everyone will acknowledge is a huge amount of money compared to what K2 bring to the table from their side. Now K2 offer 50% of their TV deal which isn't even the best deal out there. I can see why Haye and his team are pushing that.

My deal is worth £10m and that is the best deal I can get, here is 50% Mr Klitschko. Thanks David, well my deal is worth £1m but we could get more from another TV station but we are tied down, here is our 50%.

The annoying thing is that it takes them so long to discuss these issues. Just book a conference with everyone in the room, TV execs, fighters, managers, promoters, agents, tea boys, catering companies and get the deal done!

I hate how everyone keeps talking as if Haye PERSONALLY brings this money to the table.

He doesn't.

He doesn't have a TV deal. He fights on Sky Box Office and will ONLY be paid accordingly to the level of his opponent, which ergo means his opponent is equally a part of the event which earns the British revenue.

The British public would not be so foolish as to accept another Harrison type opponent a second time around, and even if they were, Haye doesn't get the money simply for turning up to the ring himself and spouting off his usual p*sh.

There may be more money available from British network television, simply because enough people are foolish enough to keep buying pay per view.

A different matter entirely though.

There is no such thing as a "British Pot" which Haye holds and a "German Pot" which Klitschko holds.

It simply doesn't exist.

They are both one part of an event which will reel in tens of millions of pounds for both fighters, and Haye's arguments are nonsense.

The British interest is simply in Haye fighting a Klitschko, and hence 50/50 of this money is exactly right.

Lets not forget Wlad is risking more. Wlad loses his reputation is "he lost to a cruiserweight", Wlad wins "He only beat a Cruiserweight", Wlad brings the "linear" title and the fact he is actually the champion who has beaten others for a title, not someone who got a bad messed up WBA title by virtue of the Finnish boxing board and the WBA's spinelessness.

I hate how everyone keeps talking as if Haye PERSONALLY brings this money to the table.

He doesn't.

He doesn't have a TV deal. He fights on Sky Box Office and will ONLY be paid accordingly to the level of his opponent, which ergo means his opponent is equally a part of the event which earns the British revenue.

The British public would not be so foolish as to accept another Harrison type opponent a second time around, and even if they were, Haye doesn't get the money simply for turning up to the ring himself and spouting off his usual p*sh.

There may be more money available from British network television, simply because enough people are foolish enough to keep buying pay per view.

A different matter entirely though.

There is no such thing as a "British Pot" which Haye holds and a "German Pot" which Klitschko holds.

It simply doesn't exist.

They are both one part of an event which will reel in tens of millions of pounds for both fighters, and Haye's arguments are nonsense.

The British interest is simply in Haye fighting a Klitschko, and hence 50/50 of this money is exactly right.

You say that but WK was quite happy to let Haye keep the "British Pot" when they were first signed to fight, then when Setanta went bust (I know Setanta was Irish but they were broadcasting in the UK) Haye wasn't geting paid for the fight. Now Haye actually offers a lot more they are happy for 50-50.

To say Haye isn't the draw for the Sky Box Office money is naive, he has sold big numbers for all 3 PPV events so far and they were against Valuev, Ruiz and Harrison. Haye could quite easily fight 2 or 3 more fights against the Chagaev's of this world and make plenty of PPV sales. If Sky put either Klitschko on PPV I doubt they would sell 6 figures! Haye is the attraction, he is what sells.

I agree with Rob, if this is all for the sake of £500,000 they need to forget it and move on, sign the fight and start training. Although if the actual amount is a lot higher it might be worth waiting until they can negotiate a new German TV deal, it is worth remembering that after all the trash talking Haye has done in the last couple of years if he loses this fight (which I think he would) that is probably the end for him so he needs to make sure he's getting paid the maximum amount.