Odlanier Solis

Johnny Walker

I've always had a particular feeling about this guy relative to his abilities and how that all factors into his chances. He's got terrific pedigree, at-times surprising power and he is more athletic than one would think looking at him. Fundamentally speaking, he is well educated for ring duty but his downfall will be the fact that (I suspect) he's had it easier than he should based on what and who he will soon be facing. His weight is the tip-off but it is his lackadaisical approach combined with his considerable abilities will be his undoing with Vitali Klitschko. I suspect things came easier to Solis than a lot of guys, and he's never had to bite down and give it everything he's got heading into an assignment....which doesn't bode well when he finds himself lacking or maybe in sudden distress.

I think his style if it stays the same as in the Austin fight makes him perfect for the Vitali jabs. Solis just isn't busy enough in the ring and while he does at times display fast hands, his accuracy is not there at the moment. I think he has decent power though not one punch KO power.

I can envisage Solis following Vitali around the ring and getting picked apart in the process. He has the skills to cause real problems but the dedication to training seems lacking and affects his workrate once in the ropes.

If Solis could refrain from trying to emulate his boyhood hero, Tony Tubbs, and get down to some serious training, he could have a future in the division. He may well lose to Vitali, but the brothers won't be around for ever, and perhaps he could grab a title when the K Bros retire.

Let's just hope his next target for physical perfection after the Tubbs look is not this.......

http://blog.onehundredpounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Gabe-Brown-boxing-6342360.jpg

I like Solis, and think he has a genuine chance of beating Vitali, even moreso Wladimir.

I think when he fights Vitali, it will set the benchmark as to how Haye will fare against him, because stylistically they are fairly similar.

Solis has been chasing the big fights since day 1, so I don't think it's through any fault of his own, that he hasn't managed to tempt some better opponents into a fight before now.

You only have to look at his amateur record to see he's prepared to face anyone, and I wouldn't really say he's had it all that easy.

It was a tough enough job to get out of Cuba, much less fight anyone who's put in front of him.

I think he is about on a par with Haye, and if they fought tomorrow, I'm not sure who would win.

I'd like to see them meet somewhere down the line anyway, because there's already a lot of background story to set the scene, what with Solis' amateur victory over him.

I like Solis, and think he has a genuine chance of beating Vitali, even moreso Wladimir.

I think when he fights Vitali, it will set the benchmark as to how Haye will fare against him, because stylistically they are fairly similar.

Solis has been chasing the big fights since day 1, so I don't think it's through any fault of his own, that he hasn't managed to tempt some better opponents into a fight before now.

You only have to look at his amateur record to see he's prepared to face anyone, and I wouldn't really say he's had it all that easy.

It was a tough enough job to get out of Cuba, much less fight anyone who's put in front of him.

I think he is about on a par with Haye, and if they fought tomorrow, I'm not sure who would win.

I'd like to see them meet somewhere down the line anyway, because there's already a lot of background story to set the scene, what with Solis' amateur victory over him.

Getting out of Cuba was not easy. Given his skill set and athleticism, discussed within the context of boxing, some feel that Solis has had it easier relative to other lesser-gifted or skilled fighters, and that his weight is a reflection of his relaxed ethic. The suggestion is that unless we see Solis give himself the best possible chance, he may very well not succeed where he might otherwise in a challenge of one of the Klitschko's.