If Haye...

dulais_valley

Yeah I tend to agree. I don't even think the level of opposition is that much of a problem in a way - it could actually do the world of good for heavyweight boxing if he was KOing a string of fighters in the States. The hard fans might know that it means little but at the end of the day a KO in a heavy fight is almost always exciting and if it is with the unified champ it will interest the general public.

That in my book is the main problem with Wlad. He does get a high percentage of stoppages but it is so dreary how he comes to them, slowly grinding them down almost until they fall under their own steam. So bloody cautious!

For a start, it's a massive, massive IF.

Haye hasn't even bothered getting in the ring with a half decent heavyweight yet, let alone the 3 best ones out there.

Secondly, he keeps telling us he'll be retired before his 31st birthday.

In my book, he looks serious enough, although I know to take anything Haye says with a pinch of salt.

That effectively means that he has 2 fights left in him before he retires. One in the spring, and one in late October.

If he ends up having to fight Chagaev, who is his mandatory, then to be honest it only leaves one very short final window to get in there and fight ONE of the Klitschko's.

If he's fortunate enough to win, I can almost guarantee he'll retire.

But like you say, what he should do, is go on and take out the other best heavyweights in question, to cement his legacy.

What he does and what he says will likely end up being completely different things though, and if he beats any TWO of the above, I would be mightily impressed with him.

To go on and beat all 3, and then even consider the above question is just a pipe dream.

It has a 1 in a hundred million chance of happening.

As Lewis discoverd, it's nigh-on impsossible to become unified champ and actually impossible to stay that way - the orgs just won't allow it, especially with Haye's very lazy fighting schedule.

That's true. The last totally unified champ was Tyson, back before the creation of the WBO.

Re: If Haye...

...was to do the unthinkable and beat the KBros and Adamek in his next three or four fights, would he be right in walking away from the sport? Or would it be better to give the public a string of defences even if it was against lower level opposition?

Right now Haye's stance seems to be that he will only press on in limited fashion however if your scenario did somehow play out I have to wonder if Haye could walk away. Think about it; he'd become a huge international star within the context of our sport. The United Kingdom would be literally busting at the buttons to showcase him. The offers would be everywhere. HBO would be throwing money and opportunity at him. He'd be the biggest thing as a unified heavyweight (or at least as the guy that mopped up the confusion) since the days of Holyfield-Bowe-Lewis.....and possibly before that (should he have been dramatic in beating that trio). The big question then would be could he walk away on his present timetable. Personally, I don't believe so. The lure of adulation and riches, the sweet smell of success.....can be extremely seductive.

...was to do the unthinkable and beat the KBros and Adamek in his next three or four fights, would he be right in walking away from the sport? Or would it be better to give the public a string of defences even if it was against lower level opposition?

Right now Haye's stance seems to be that he will only press on in limited fashion however if your scenario did somehow play out I have to wonder if Haye could walk away. Think about it; he'd become a huge international star within the context of our sport. The United Kingdom would be literally busting at the buttons to showcase him. The offers would be everywhere. HBO would be throwing money and opportunity at him. He'd be the biggest thing as a unified heavyweight (or at least as the guy that mopped up the confusion) since the days of Holyfield-Bowe-Lewis.....and possibly before that (should he have been dramatic in beating that trio). The big question then would be could he walk away on his present timetable. Personally, I don't believe so. The lure of adulation and riches, the sweet smell of success.....can be extremely seductive.

He'll come to the "retirement crossroads" long before he has any sort of opportunity to beat all 3 of those guys, much less win all 3.

He'll have to make the call as to whether to stick to his word and walk away by Nov 2011, probably after one of those fights - win, lose or draw.

I would also throw Solis in the mix, though of course, he has an opportunity against Vitali forthcoming.

He'll come to the "retirement crossroads" long before he has any sort of opportunity to beat all 3 of those guys, much less win all 3.

He'll have to make the call as to whether to stick to his word and walk away by Nov 2011, probably after one of those fights - win, lose or draw.

I would also throw Solis in the mix, though of course, he has an opportunity against Vitali forthcoming.

Yeah, I do tend to agree with you on that.

I'd like to see him defend a unified title a couple of times, though I imagine it would be against those he beat obtaining it. He seems very serious in his decision to retire next year. I've mooted in the past that this may be to try a lure one of the K bros into the ring as the fight would be a massive pay day (for both sides). That said, if Haye did retire he'll have a few quid in the bank and he seems to have his head screwed on so other avenues are bound to open up for him.

Yes, I'd like to see it - even against lesser opponents, but don't think I will.