Carl Froch has two weeks to decide on next opponent; two names in the mix

RINGNEWS24

Re: Carl Froch has two weeks to decide on next opponent; two names in the mix

Unified Super-middleweight champion Carl Froch has just two weeks left to decide on his next foe, with two men left in the mix.*

More...

--- What happened to the Kessler option?

Chavez Jr won't be a big fight not to mention Brits can't afford his price tag. Groves will be an easier fight for Froch this time around, so if Kessler ain't there for him, bade thee haste to Stratford on Avon for a Brit classic to sort their modern metromen fans.

If only Groves were as keen on giving rematches as he is on receiving them - I seem to recall he said there was no reason to fight DeGale again because he'd beaten him as an amateur and also as a pro( by a point or so), so it was done, no need to revisit.

The Chavez fight is a waste of time for Froch, but I suppose he's entitled to choose his opponents. I won't bother watching if he chooses Chavez, though, and I'll be very disappointed if he never gives Groves a rematch.

Froch v Chavez in Vegas makes a lot of sense. Big money, a Vegas fight, a victory over a recognised name and, to top it off, an easy fight on paper.

Groves can bitch all he wants but it's starting to sound like Haye begging for a big fight. If you're as good as you think you are Georgie Boy, earn you're damned title fight!

Froch v Chavez in Vegas makes a lot of sense. Big money, a Vegas fight, a victory over a recognised name and, to top it off, an easy fight on paper.

--- I see Froch has never fought in Vegas so I can see the lure from the point of view of wanting the experience of the mecca of big fights, however JCJr is an HBO fighter with Arum and we know how little the suits of HBO generally think about fighters hailing from overseas.

I can only speculate on the mad money end, but unless HBO coffers suddenly crack forth in a gusher come Froch's way, the Groves fight would net him considerably more acclaim domestically and internationally as well as monetarily. I also seriously doubt Arum wants to ruin Junior in what is still his prime years, but he's at loggerheads over trying to figure what division the kid is gonna be able to squeeze into. The Martinez fight is a nonstarter because the kid is just too big and will be weak from having to make 168 against Vera who has no business fighting above 160.

I find it interesting that Kessler has disappeared from any discussion without any notice of retirement. Ward also wants Junior, so could be Arum's playing both side against the middle in hopes of somehow being part of Ward/Froch II in Vegas, the long shot of long shots as Ward shows no inclination of ever being more than a domestic mama's boy.

Chavez Jr is hardly a mouth watering opponent, is he. Everyone thinks he's overrated and that belief was solidified when Martinez schooled him. It's a fight that means nothing to the sore loser's legacy.

Chavez Jr is hardly a mouth watering opponent, is he. Everyone thinks he's overrated and that belief was solidified when Martinez schooled him. It's a fight that means nothing to the sore loser's legacy.

--- Everyone knew Sergio was going to town on him, what they failed to notice is the kid has a great chin, fighting heart, and came within soft breeze of KTFO Martinez in a replay of his 'ol man against Meldrick Taylor.

Near ruined Sergio's career was the net result. Sergio had been operating on fumes since the 11th round of that fight and could fall over any time now. I say that sadly because as an Argentine step child fighting in America with a 2nd tier promoter, he's been a breath of fresh air for fans fed up with the suits who usually manage to control every aspect including the results.

See Cintron/Martinez for how that works.

--- Everyone knew Sergio was going to town on him, what they failed to notice is the kid has a great chin, fighting heart, and came within soft breeze of KTFO Martinez in a replay of his 'ol man against Meldrick Taylor..

That's because that didn't happen - it was a heavy knockdown but Martinez not only got up, he opted to fight back as well.