Amir Khan and Frankie Gavin "5 years on"

iamasadlittleboy

When Amir Khan made his professional debut in 2005 there was a lot of expectation on his young shoulders. He was expected to go a long way and whether we like him or not he has accomplished more than many other top British fighters.

Within 5 years of Khan's debut he had compiled a solid looking 23-1 record with victories over Marco Antonio Barrera, Andriy Kotelnik and Paulie Malignaggi. As well as those victories he had won the Commonwealth, the WBO international, the WBA international, the WBA inter-continental and WBA world titles.

Sure Khan had come a cropper to Breidis Prescott but he had bounced back well from the loss.

In February this year Frankie Gavin (currently 18-0, 12) will celebrate 5 years as a professional. If we look at Gavin's record it looks pretty on paper though it lacks sort of big names, the best victory is over the domestic level Denton Vassell and the past his peak Bradley Pryce. Although Gavin has won titles himself, including the Irish (anyone?), British, Commonwealth and WBO inter-continental title he hasn't moved beyond domestic level.

When he turned pro many were calling Gavin the most naturally gifted boxer Britain had produced in a generation. To me, he's become the biggest flop of the last few years, unwilling or unable to step up and instead treading water fight after fight after fight....and worst of all he's not taking the necessary steps to sort things out, i.e. leaving Warren and signing with a promoter who can invest in him and promote him properly

*awaits the Gavin apologists in here to say "he has/had problems"...like every other fucking person!*

Re: Amir Khan and Frankie Gavin "5 years on"

Gavin's had alot of problems and it's a credit that he has overcome them and maintained a superb unbeaten record. 2014 will be a huge year for him and don't be surprised to see him beating Top 10 contenders, but seriously I jest.

Amir Khan, as much as I have derided him over the years, has had a very successful career, astonishing really given his obvious chin failings. With Frankie Gavin, it seems he is similar to Kell Brook - in that we are always waiting for him to kick on. Talent is there but we still don't know if he can perform at the highest level - they need to be finding out this year.

Re: Amir Khan and Frankie Gavin "5 years on"

*awaits the Gavin apologists in here

--- Haven't seen any of his fights lately, but thought he had the talent to at least win a title.

Figure his failure is partially if not mainly Warren's troubles interfering with his promotions. I don't sweat when a fighter doesn't have ambition to match his talent. I only protest when he becomes heavily hyped and is losing fights as Broner has done from the gitgo. Maidana was lucky to get some marginally fair judges who dared not stink up the obvious any more than Broner had already stunk out the joint.

Figure Gavy has his own timeline to figure through many troubles not his own. Hope to see him in a big international type match sooner rather than later.