Lucas Browne making his move towards the World title in 2014

RINGNEWS24

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/3dc3c3c1262285724fd85141c1cc3d8e_S.jpg

After keeping himself extremely busy in 2013 and fighting no less than five times, Lucas Browne has his eye set on making 2014 ‘His Year’. So following up an impressive performance against Richard Towers in November, Lucas cemented his commonwealth title credentials with a second round demolition of Clarence Tillman in December-a little over a month later.*

More...

Re: Lucas Browne making his move towards the World title in 2014

Looks like fights with Fury, Wilder and Price will evade him for awhile. Commonwealth next against Haumono makes sense and is a decent fight.

Several decent fights, in Oceania, to be made as you got Alex Leapai, Bowie Tupou, Mark de Mori, Shane Cameron and Chauncey Welliver.

22 year-old Joseph Parker is one to watch from that region. 7-0, 6 KOs.

Parker's last fight taking the NZ title.

22 year-old Joseph Parker is one to watch from that region. 7-0, 6 KOs.

Parker's last fight taking the NZ title.

Say, he does look good. Never saw him fight before.

Gotta' love a big guy who can still bang on the inside.

Edited by Cableaddict

I just checked out some of Parker's other fights. That hand speed! Wow ...

I agree with you, he's got a future in the HW division.

Nasty cut in his last fight, which has slowed him down abit but he looks very talented. Hope he develops as the Heavyweight division need good fighters coming through.

Nasty cut in his last fight, which has slowed him down abit but he looks very talented. Hope he develops as the Heavyweight division need good fighters coming through.

--- Well, as you mentioned, Fury, Wilder, and Price remain unavailable to Browne who has progressed to fringe contender status.

Price at least has an opponent scheduled, but the others including Chisora are TBA. What's an already good heavy to do if he can't make a natural match with his peers?

....What's an already good heavy to do if he can't make a natural match with his peers?

That's the single most important question regarding the entire sport of boxing. Ask Wilder, Amir Mansour, Bogdan Dinu..... the list of potential champs who never got a chance is longer than the collected works of Shakespeare.

After Thabiso McHunu destroys his opponent this Friday, watch the rest of the CW division run for the hills, quacking all the way.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Well, as you mentioned, Fury, Wilder, and Price remain unavailable to Browne who has progressed to fringe contender status......

Personally, I don't see much potential in Browne. He seems kinda' slow & lumbering to me.

But heck, I've been wrong before. I bet on David Price! :mmph:

- twice.

Edited by Cableaddict

Personally, I don't see much potential in Browne. He seems kinda' slow & lumbering to me.

- twice.

Yeah, Lucas seems more of a fun fighter to watch. Would like to see him get a chance to mix with the top prospects, and contenders, but ultimately he is not destined to be Heavyweight champion of the World.

- twice.

--- I'm generally nonplussed about most of the Oz boxing scene so was even more critical of him when I saw his first fight.

He'll never be speedy obviously, but his core boxing form has sharpened up nicely and he's been very busy learning against a wide variety of good competition. Since there are no runners of note in the top echelons, his ring center gravity is not a handicap of having to run down gazelles who shouldn't even be gracing the scorecards of boxing in the first place.

So that leaves handspeed as a weakness, but little known in boxing circles these days is heavy handed big guys with decent defense as he's developed that have good timing can trump most fast handed popcorn punchers. I'd favor him over Wilder, Price, and Chisora for sure at this point. Him and Fury would be a good scrap that would greatly benefit the winner in development and maybe the loser too if he wasn't beat up too badly.

.....So that leaves handspeed as a weakness, but little known in boxing circles these days is heavy handed big guys with decent defense as he's developed that have good timing can trump most fast handed popcorn punchers.

Good point, but of course they have to win by KO, so its still a disadvantage. Also, slow hands means slow defense, unless the fighter has great head movement, and Browne does not.

& Browne beating Wilder? In your dreams !

But heck, who really knows? That's why we like this sport .....