Which FIGHTERS disappointed you in 2014?

iamasadlittleboy

Jose Benavidez-Some have said this kid is the US prospect of the year, though he fought just once beating Abraham Alvarez Osuna

Hozumi Hasegawa-Guy fought twice this year but faced no one of note (despite theKO over Carmago being spectacular)

Gary Russell Jr-What has this guy been doing? Oh, very little

Roman Martinez-Gets a GIFT against Burgos, gets a close one over Magdaleno and then gets stopped by Garcia. Surprisingly some still had him ranked above Uchiyama going into the Garcia fight

Ricky Burns-Gets out boxed by Gonzalez then bailed out by the judges against Beltran

Beibut Shumenov-Where was this guy for much of the year?

Roman Gonzalez-Love this kid but 2013 has been a write off for him

Yuriorkis Gamboa-Where do we begin here?...What happened to the amazingly fun to watch Cuban?

Re: Which FIGHTERS disappointed you in 2014?

I am going to approach the question a different way and say Sturm disappointed me for beating Barker the way he did. Saul Alvarez, after all the hype, being exposed as not as good as they made him out to be although I had my suspicions.

Yuriorkis Gamboa-Where do we begin here?...What happened to the amazingly fun to watch Cuban?

--- He left Arum to sign with 2-bits who has him fighting for Arum for peanuts now. That'd make a mess of any fighter to be used that way.

Floydy--- Much hype about the Showtime contract after years and years of lies upon lies, and then he listens to Guerrero Senior savage all the Mayweathers, promises to go toe to toe, and only fights for two rounds while making the other ten rounds a track meet the judges couldn't even fully support.

Then fights Canelo at a catchweight and rehydration limit fight weight to foul him at will in the early going with the ref all over Canelo like Cortez was with Ricky. His fans scream like sissies when a judge gives him a draw in a tit for tat type of mealy mouth fight.

--- He left Arum to sign with 2-bits who has him fighting for Arum for peanuts now. That'd make a mess of any fighter to be used that way.

Floydy--- Much hype about the Showtime contract after years and years of lies upon lies, and then he listens to Guerrero Senior savage all the Mayweathers, promises to go toe to toe, and only fights for two rounds while making the other ten rounds a track meet the judges couldn't even fully support.

Then fights Canelo at a catchweight and rehydration limit fight weight to foul him at will in the early going with the ref all over Canelo like Cortez was with Ricky. His fans scream like sissies when a judge gives him a draw in a tit for tat type of mealy mouth fight.

Still bitter that the guys you said would beat Floyd got shown up, huh? No doubt if Mayweather decided to stand and trade all night, you'd be going "ho-ho, what happened to the defensive tactical genius?"

Robert Guerrero -- Gone into obscurity since the Mayweather loss...refused a Thurman fight as well. I want to see more in 14'.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr -- He was looking capable at one point...Maybe Martinez was just the better fighter and that's why he couldn't put anything forth for eleven-and-a-half rounds.... But 1 fight and horrible display verses Versa removed any doubt -- useless fighter.

Devon Alexander -- Never felt he was special, and after a forgettable showcase against Purdy, he was dominated by Porter.

Arthur Abraham -- Abraham was wrecked by Stieglitz, got some gifts against lesser-opponents, and fell off of my radar.

Seth Mitchell -- After running a marathon in the Banks rematch -- he was quickly exposed against Arreola... Best he search for a new career.

Austin Trout -- Thought he'd follow up a solid showing against Canelo...he instead looked very bad against Lara...

Nonito Donaire -- went life-and-death with Darchinyan and was dominated by Rigondeaux.

Denis Boytsov -- Awful performance against Leapai. The hype is looking much weaker.

Robert Helenius -- Ugly return for the Finn.

Lamont Peterson -- PEDs and a brutal KO loss to Matthysse.

...and many more,

Edited by QBoxing

Robert Guerrero -- Gone into obscurity since the Mayweather loss...refused a Thurman fight as well. I want to see more in 14'.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr -- He was looking capable at one point...Maybe Martinez was just the better fighter and that's why he couldn't put anything forth for eleven-and-a-half rounds.... But 1 fight and horrible display verses Versa removed any doubt -- useless fighter.

Devon Alexander -- Never felt he was special, and after a forgettable showcase against Purdy, he was dominated by Porter.

Arthur Abraham -- Abraham was wrecked by Stieglitz, got some gifts against lesser-opponents, and fell off of my radar.

Seth Mitchell -- After running a marathon in the Banks rematch -- he was quickly exposed against Arreola... Best he search for a new career.

Austin Trout -- Thought he'd follow up a solid showing against Canelo...he instead looked very bad against Lara...

Nonito Donaire -- went life-and-death with Darchinyan and was dominated by Rigondeaux.

Denis Boytsov -- Awful performance against Leapai. The hype is looking much weaker.

Robert Helenius -- Ugly return for the Finn.

Lamont Peterson -- PEDs and a brutal KO loss to Matthysse.

...and many more,

Thats right, I knew I forgot somebody. REALLY, to lose against LEAPAI, who is old now and never been a world class fighter...that is BAD!:tsk: And he got dropped twice! It seems fighting only bums for so long took its toll.

Thats right, I knew I forgot somebody. REALLY, to lose against LEAPAI, who is old now and never been a world class fighter...that is BAD!:tsk: And he got dropped twice! It seems fighting only bums for so long took its toll.

Yes, definitely. When the going got tough, Boytsov crumbled. His best tactics were grappling, holding, and attempting to win some rounds at a slow pace.

The worst part? Leapai is now Klitschko's mandatory. Boytsov is one thing, but Wladimir won't have any trouble with Alex Leapai.

Gotta say I was disappointed with two of the fighters I follow...Froch was caught in a whirl wind against Groves and struggled to keep himself in the fight and Price showed that he had possibly the worst defence in a HW that ive seen for years.....the right drops every time he throws a jab, it drives me insane!!

Edited by mofo2

Yes, definitely. When the going got tough, Boytsov crumbled. His best tactics were grappling, holding, and attempting to win some rounds at a slow pace.

The worst part? Leapai is now Klitschko's mandatory. Boytsov is one thing, but Wladimir won't have any trouble with Alex Leapai.

:tsk: Well, what do u know...Wlad isn't what he used to be, MAYBE Leapai will manage to stagger him or something, he does have power. He just won't last long if he does that, lol. Which is positive really.

David Haye for pulling out of two fights plus cancelling Feb 8th. Injuries happen but even I've gotten tired of it.

Gamboa - used to sparkle but something was missing in 2013.

Cleverly - was ringside for his Kovalev fight and he just didn't seem to have a gameplan. He is not as bad as he appeared, in that fight, and I do wonder if he lacked the hunger.

Edited by WelshDevilRob

:tsk: Well, what do u know...Wlad isn't what he used to be, MAYBE Leapai will manage to stagger him or something, he does have power. He just won't last long if he does that, lol. Which is positive really.

Yes, definitely, but if Wlad starts fast, he can finish Leapai early and avoid that risk. The problem is, he's not starting all that fast lately! So, we'll see.

Yes, definitely, but if Wlad starts fast, he can finish Leapai early and avoid that risk. The problem is, he's not starting all that fast lately! So, we'll see.

I think thats an understatement, lol-he hasn't been starting fast since circa 2008. :tongue1:

--- Not the fastest starter, but why should he be against Leapai? Jab him to death, throw him around and take the openings as they happen. Knocked down Thompson early cruising to 6th round KO as he did Pianata, solid craftsmanship. Knocked down Povetkin early with his patented quarter left hook that the boxing illiterati called a jab.

Still, a crazy puncher like Leapai will always have that slugger's chance, but Wlad has never taken a 10 count, think about it.

Also think JCJr let the crooked boxing poohbahs get to him by not staying in decent shape during his suspension. Kid still has raw talent he's never tapped into thanks to his lazy training habits. He seems to have wrecked Martinez for life.