Warren makes an offer for Khan-Brook

RAZZ-MCFC

BRITISH boxing got another lift last week with lion-hearted performances on both sides of the pond.

First, my youngsters led the charge with stunning displays in Liverpool. Then Amir Khan capped a superb night, winning one of the fights of the year against dangerous Marcos Maidana.

The Khan fight took place in Las Vegas and impressed American audiences.

I've never doubted he has plenty of heart. On Saturday he showed bags of it!

What alarmed me later in the fight was how Maidana found Amir's chin so often. You can't have too many fights like that if you want a long career.

Talk of him facing Floyd Mayweather next needs to be knocked on the head. He must not listen to the wrong people and consider it purely for financial gain.

Amir said his next fight will be in the UK. Instead of Mayweather, I hope he takes the offer I have made to him to fight Brit Kell Brook, No 1 to Manny Pacquaio in the WBO at welterweight. It would give home fans another mouth-watering evening.

Earlier last Saturday, James DeGale put on a near-perfect display against Paul Smith to lift the British super-middle title.

I manage both and they are terrific guys but sometimes fights become natural and you have to let them get on with it. Paul will come back I have no doubt. They make them tough in Liverpool.

DeGale is more advanced at this stage of his career than any boxer I have managed or promoted and that includes Naseem Hamed, Joe Calzaghe and Amir Khan.

Also in Liverpool, Nathan Cleverly lifted the interim WBO light-heavy title with a hard-fought win over Nedjab Mohammedi.

The Frenchman came in at late notice and was a totally different opponent style-wise than the one Nathan prepared for.

Brook and Matt Macklin were also stunning in Liverpool.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33970

That would be a very interesting fight, but would brook have the power to cause khan problems? im not sure. I think at this stage in there careers Khan wins hands down , id love to see the fight happen longer down the line.

Brook for me should be fighting more than 3 times a year or better quality fighters , Hopefully we'll see the best of Brook in 2011

Nice to see Frank give Khan credit.

I don't see the point of Khan moving up in weight just to fight Kell Brook. Khan has bigger fights at his own weight. I think Khan will one day make Welterweight comfortably but he seems strong at Jnr.Welter at the moment.

Right enough, I never considered that the fight would be expected at welterweight.

I assumed Brook would move down, but it's unlikely I guess.

That rings true, Skav! What is interesting for me is that Frank is so cautious over his fighters, and Kell is probably his best prospect in terms of boxing ability this would be a risky fight for him to make!! Usually Frank does not throw caution to the wind this early on in a prospects career. He must have some real faith in Brook to tout this as a potential fight! Maybe he knows full well that Roach won't allow Khan to fight at welterweight and so in future Warren can use the "Khan avoided Brook when I made the offer" routine.

IF, and thats a huge if, Frank is genuine about trying to make that fight I am massively suprised given that his last gamble with a prospect in Kevin Mitchell didn't pay off. After that disappointment I aint expecting to see Brook, Clev or his other cash cows in any tough fights in the immediate and not too distant future.

That rings true, Skav! What is interesting for me is that Frank is so cautious over his fighters, and Kell is probably his best prospect in terms of boxing ability this would be a risky fight for him to make!! Usually Frank does not throw caution to the wind this early on in a prospects career. He must have some real faith in Brook to tout this as a potential fight! Maybe he knows full well that Roach won't allow Khan to fight at welterweight and so in future Warren can use the "Khan avoided Brook when I made the offer" routine.

IF, and thats a huge if, Frank is genuine about trying to make that fight I am massively suprised given that his last gamble with a prospect in Kevin Mitchell didn't pay off. After that disappointment I aint expecting to see Brook, Clev or his other cash cows in any tough fights in the immediate and not too distant future.

I agree Ton, and not only Brook but he seems to be taking huge risks with Degale at this point, too.

I'm actually quite startled by his approach lately.

Yeah he is pushing Degale pretty quickly and fair play. I don't really like the cockyness of Degale but he is producing the goods in the ring. He wasn't anywhere near a favourite at the Olympics in which he won gold, and upon the lot of them turning pro many people predicted that Degale wasn't suited to the pro game in terms of approach and power. But he has looked the best out of the olympians by far! Would love to see him fight Groves, and I actually think he dismantles George reasonably well (and I'm a George Groves fan).

Yeah he is pushing Degale pretty quickly and fair play. I don't really like the cockyness of Degale but he is producing the goods in the ring. He wasn't anywhere near a favourite at the Olympics in which he won gold, and upon the lot of them turning pro many people predicted that Degale wasn't suited to the pro game in terms of approach and power. But he has looked the best out of the olympians by far! Would love to see him fight Groves, and I actually think he dismantles George reasonably well (and I'm a George Groves fan).

i think it was more the fact degale pushed warren , when you saw the interview degale said he wanted the fight and warren looked a bit worried as if ,,should i of made this?

Brook's not ready to fight a fighter of Khan's calibre. He needs to step it up for sure. But, he needs to fight some other World title contenders before he fights an actual World champion. The guy is still fighting journeymen. Let him fight a few guys like Judah, Peterson or even Prescott before he gets in the ring with Khan.

This fight isn't going to happen anytime soon it's all talk from the Warren camp. Why would khan take the fight? Bigger fish to fry at 140. I read else where that fwanks contract with sky is under scrutiny hence the more meaningful fights which on a personal level is great as we learn nothing seeing the likes of DeGale beating up bodybags. It was good to see him mix it up a bit last saturday

I don't see the point of Khan moving up in weight just to fight Kell Brook. Khan has bigger fights at his own weight.

Exactly. Brook has no world title, and Amir has bigger potential fights at 140lbs at the moment. Maybe one for the future if Brook can obtain a belt at world level.

Amir Khan Laughs at Warren's Offer to Fight Kell Brook

Promoter Frank Warren tried his best to get unbeaten Kell Brook a major fight in 2011. He presented an offer to WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan. Warren's former fighter sent his reponse on the social networks. Khan has no interest in facing Brook and claims to have worked Brook over in sparring. He advised Warren to make a promised rematch between Brook and Michael Jennings.

"Laughing out loud.....Frank Warren has offered me Kell Brook. Ask him what I used to do to him in sparring. Frank promised Jennings a rematch with Brook......promises shoudn't be broken ," Khan said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34153