What is With The Child Like Emotionalism Re Khan, Ortiz, etc

Johnny Walker

"Ortiz sucks. He should do something else"

"Peterson sucks"

"Khan is overrated"

"Ortiz is a product of GBP hype"

Seriously guys, what is it with some of you? Why even bother being a fan?

Boxing is about a drawn-out journey. A story line in the development of an individual. Each and every fighter is a journey, a story line, a work in progress. Some have more than others, some have greatness, potentially, within them. Match two extraordinary professionals with each other and the mesh can be fantastic, less so or even anti-climactic. The variables of each match-up are unique, especially when mixed with timing relative to each combatant.

As opposed to knee-jerk reactions that haven't for the most part been thoroughly thought-out, enjoy what is taking place and try to understand that there is skill, talent and worth in each of the men you are watching....even if they don't meet your personal criteria of a super hero.

Just sayin.

Boxing may be about a long drawn out journey as you say, but it's not always a long journey before certain fighters are found out.

Some guys just don't cut the mustard, and it's proved very early on.

Not all journey's have a natural conclusion, some end suddenly with a crash....

Boxing may be about a long drawn out journey as you say, but it's not always a long journey before certain fighters are found out.

Some guys just don't cut the mustard, and it's proved very early on.

Not all journey's have a natural conclusion, some end suddenly with a crash....

Yes, but you are missing something here my friend. The development process of a top ten contender isn't cut and dried in one fight. Think about the fact that if a guy can make it to the top ten, he is cutting some good mustard to begin with. Honestly, reading it from some fans, it's about one dry showing and into the garbage heap. If you had your way, and I state this respectfully, you'd soon be done with this site and boxing altogether. Know why? There'd be nobody left to watch and follow. You'd do yourself in with that outlook.

Having come up through the GREATEST period this sport has ever known, I can tell you many around here are DEAD WRONG in their premature emotional assessment of Victor Ortiz, Amir Khan and Lamont Peterson.

Did I say they'd become all-time greats or even world champions?

No.

I said that many around here are wrong, and I submit that theses guys still have a journey to take. Watch them take it. Maybe they will get better and maybe they won't, but they deserve the chance to move father down the line. They, all three of them, have already beaten the odds on being successful. They are successful, talented and with go-forward potential.

Using Ortiz as a reference point, he needs to change part of his game. His mental make-up is not yet where it should be commensurate to his considerable skills. Time will tell if he will get better or not, but he was head to head with another top ten guy, his mistake being that he let the other guy off the hook. Why? He needs to change his approach AND the other guy was damned good. Simple stuff.

Boxing is not always about flash and explosions. You'll find that with certain cartoons but not in the ring (most times).

Plenty of fighters have found high levels of success after a lot of setbacks, but as a general rule, you can accurately predict how a fighter is going to fare based on 2 or 3 performances in a row at the same level.

It's either going to take a massive change of heart/approach, or it's going to take a massive setback to give them the kick up the ass they need to get going again.

I rarely write a fighter off based on a single fight, but it does dictate whether you're eager to see them again in the near future, and sometimes a loss or a criticised performance is just what a fighter needs.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion about a fighter, and it's down to them to prove the doubters wrong imo.

If they can make people eat their words, then I'm sure they'll get the respect they deserve.

Likewise, if they don't manage to find the level they should be at, then though the criticism is sometimes unjust, it's proven to be somewhat correct.

I think a strong opinion either way is better than apathy anyway.

Re: What is With The Child Like Emotionalism Re Khan, Ortiz,

"Peterson sucks"

"Khan is overrated"

Boxing is about a drawn-out journey. A story line in the development of an individual. Each and every fighter is a journey, a story line, a work in progress. Some have more than others, some have greatness, potentially, within them. Match two extraordinary professionals with each other and the mesh can be fantastic, less so or even anti-climactic. The variables of each match-up are unique, especially when mixed with timing relative to each combatant.

As opposed to knee-jerk reactions that haven't for the most part been thoroughly thought-out, enjoy what is taking place and try to understand that there is skill, talent and worth in each of the men you are watching....even if they don't meet your personal criteria of a super hero.

Just sayin.

And you quote everyone else as being child look emotionalism? And there's nothing child like in saying that Ortiz is the product of the GBP hype machine.

It seems I touched a nerve in attacking your boy, Ortiz.

I call it as I see it but you don't have to like it.

And this is a forum, on it you have critics and praises.

That's the way of one.

Essentially you are telling people what to post.

I took Ortiz fight with Maidana into account in my post so your assumption that I, or we, wrote him off with the Peterson fight is absolutely false!

And I don't appreciate your superiority complex in your post to Wheelchair, either.

Many of us have a lot of experience in watching the sport. I have 18 years worth.

Have you ever gone to Vegas for a fight, a couple of times a year?

I'm betting no.

Get off your high horse!

If you don't like certain posts, don't get involved with the thread and move on.

Re: What is With The Child Like Emotionalism Re Khan, Ortiz,

"Peterson sucks"

"Khan is overrated"

Just sayin.

And you quote everyone else as being child look emotionalism? And there's nothing child like in saying that Ortiz is the product of the GBP hype machine.

It seems I touched a nerve in attacking your boy, Ortiz.

I call it as I see it but you don't have to like it.

And this is a forum, on it you have critics and praises.

That's the way of one.

Essentially you are telling people what to post.

I took Ortiz fight with Maidana into account in my post so your assumption that I, or we, wrote him off with the Peterson fight is absolutely false!

Lol

You need to relax. I am not telling anybody what to post. I am making a pointed observation. There is a distinction there. Get it?

My boy?

My my, you light up easily. No, Ortiz is not "my boy". There is no proof to back up your emotionally charged accusation. Now that I've likely rocked you a little (just a guess based on your last response), I'll add that I enjoy your submissions and respect, for the most part, what you post. I apologize if you feel slighted or take what I posted personally, but perhaps what I posted relates to you in an off-handed way. Just save it. It was never aimed at you. Re-read it all and if you approach it accordingly you won't associate it incorrectly.

I would never tell anybody what to post. I enjoy reading all of the posts around here. I like different views and opinion - enough that - they stimulate me sufficiently to respond or create posts.

Now, back to a rational approach.

The quotes I leveled are an excellent example of thinking that requires more thought, IMO.

I reject the notion that Victor Ortiz should move on or that he is strictly hype. I like Ortiz as much as those that would chastise him to an extreme. After all didn't we all, as one, watch him? I expect that he may or may not change his approach. Let's see who can address that matter with him as a trainer. Perhaps the right trainer can adjust or tune the guy just enough to work wonders. It has been done to great effect with Wladimir Klitschko.

Lamont Peterson? Some terrific technical talent there, not to mention a huge heart. Let's see him retool with additional experience and possibly move into a more positive light. In the meantime I expect to see him continue to be victorious.

Amir Khan? I have never felt better about the guy, and that's not because he looked terrific over the first half of the fight with an inhuman wrecking machine with an extraordinary penchant for digesting punishment, both mentally AND physically. No, it was the shit that he dealt with SUCCESSFULLY later in the fight, particularly in round 10.

I'll be watching all three all the closer from here on out - and so will you. Consider that food for thought, buffet-style.

;)

I still don't think Peterson did enough to earn a draw.I had him losing the vast majority of the early rounds.Then you have the two knockdowns and on my card he needs to win the next six just to scrape a draw - and he didn't do that in my view.

Ortiz won't be at 140 much longer.You can expect to see Ortiz vs Malignaggi in the near future.

I still don't think Peterson did enough to earn a draw.I had him losing the vast majority of the early rounds.Then you have the two knockdowns and on my card he needs to win the next six just to scrape a draw - and he didn't do that in my view.

Ortiz won't be at 140 much longer.You can expect to see Ortiz vs Malignaggi in the near future.

Agreed.

I'm not going to reply to Johnny Walker's last post but felt I had to clear something up since he accused me privately of being egotistical in regards to my statement about Vegas.

As I said to him in a private reply, the way it was meant to be interpreted was that *we* all have vast boxing experience here and some of us travel far to watch bouts to demonstrate *our* passion for the sport, not just mine.

I know I probably didn't have to justify myself here but felt that I had to in case anybody got the wrong end of the stick.

I am sure that if he got the wrong end of the stick about that then anybody else can so that's why I am saying what I am.

Carry on.

Lively debate. Individuals have their own set of beliefs and views when it comes to boxers and boxing in general. Good to hear differences in thought and perspective and its what makes a forum tick. I don't think there is a right or wrong in this case (the topic) and its more down to personal preference. Michael Katz and even Kevin Iole have said alot harsher things about boxers and some readers agree and some think its misplaced or offensive, I think its a case of each to his own.