Solis, Cloud, Mayorga results ***SPOILERS***

Wheelchair

In a bizarre finish to tonight’s WBC heavyweight eliminator, Ray “The Rainman “ Austin (28-5-4, 18 KO’s) suffered a disqualification loss to Odlanier “La Sombra” Solis (17-0,12 KO’s). Solis dominated the action with superior handspeed, defense and combination punches. Although Austin held height and weight advantages, Solis had him moving backwards for most of the fight. Austin’s jab slowed down to a mere push in the later rounds as Solis’ energy seemed to increase. The tenth round saw Solis land a solid one-two that stunned Austin followed by a blistering 4 punch combination to put the “Rainman” on wobbly legs. Austin ate another right hand that caused him to clinch Solis into the ropes. That’s when things got weird. Austin pushed Solis into the ring ropes at the bell and the two men almost toppled over only to get pushed back up by promoter Ahmet Oner and referee Tellis Assimenios. When the two fighters finally righted themselves, Austin threw an ill-advised punch that connected. That was enough for referee Tommy Kimmons who he immediately disqualified Austin. The win means Solis will face WBC world heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko next year for the title.

Tavoris “Thunder” Cloud (22-0, 18 KO’s) retained his IBF light heavyweight belt with a unanimous decision victory over rugged Colombian challenger Fulgencio Zuniga (24-5-1, 21 KO’s). Cloud dictated the pace with double jabs followed by thunderous right crosses and left hooks to pile up the points from the opening round. However Zuniga would not go away as he scored with left uppercuts and displayed a decent jab of his own. Cloud knocked Zuniga to the canvas with a left hand as he appeared to lose his footing. Referee Tellis Assimenios administered a standing eight count to the Colombian slugger. Judges scores were 117-108, 118-108 and 116-109 for the undefeated light heavyweight from Tallahassee who now looks to find bigger fights against the other big names in the division.

Ricardo “El Matador” Mayorga (29-7-1, 23 KO’s) unleashed furious shots soaked with malicious intent to score a 9th round TKO victory over Michael “Midnight Stalker” Walker (19-6-2, 12 KO’s). Mayorga landed left hooks in the corner to start the ninth and force Walker to take a knee. He kept punching however and suffered a 2-point deduction from referee Tommy Kimmons. It wasn’t enough to deter “El Matador” as he obviously had a knockout on his mind and saw it to fruition at 1:09 of the same round.

The final two bouts on the undercard of tonight’s “Tribute to Freedom” card ended in quick succession as Turkish heavyweight prospect Erkan Teper (3-0, 3 KO’s) demolished Donato DeMartiis (2-1, 1 KO) by TKO in 1 minute 49 seconds of the first round. Cuban lightweight Angelo “La Cobra” Santana (10-0, 7 KO’s) unloaded serious leather to stop John David Charles (6-2, 1 KO) at 2:59 of the 3rd round by TKO.

Sometimes the name-calling before two fighters enter the ring is an indicator of the aggression to come within the ring. That didn’t seem to be the case tonight however. New York-based heavyweight Darrel “King” Madison (16-1, 4 KO’s) made the most of his trip to the Sunshine State tonight to earn a unanimous decision victory over Michael Marrone (19-2, 14 KO’s). Marrone vainly tried to set up big shots throughout the fight as he stalked Madison. However, Madison displayed the quicker hands and frustrated Marrone with quick straight lefts and right jabs from his southpaw stance. Judges scores were 100-90, 98-92 and 99-91 for “King David” Madison.

Eileen Olszewski (7-2-2) claimed the WIBA/GBU female flyweight belt with a unanimous decision victory over Anastasia Toktoulova (13-11, 2 KO’s). Olszewski leveraged her superior footwork and combination punching to stunt Toktoulova’s come-forward style. All judges scored the bout 80-72 for Olszewski.

Cuban cruiserweight Pedro Rodriguez (4-0, 4 KO’s) brought a soft belly into the ring tonight as he took this fight on short notice. Unfortunately for opponent TJ Cook(1-1, 1 KO), Rodriguez didn’t forget to pack his heavy hands. Rodriguez scored with short, chopping hands to stun Cook in the 2nd round. Cook tried to slow the assault with body shots but Rodriguez forced the action in the corner and scored 2 big rights to drop Cook as the 2nd round bell rang. Referee Tellis Assimenios waved off any further punishment.

fightnews.com

Below are ring quotes from DKP’s big world championship card on Friday night at the AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami.

Odlanier Solis: “I wanted to make Austin suffer for the things he said at the press conferences leading up to the fight. I didn’t like it when he said that when he was done with me, they were going to send me back to Cuba. Now I sent him back to Cleveland where all they have are cows…..I wasn’t tired at all. It was my strategy to fight the way I did tonight. What’s the worst thing that could have happened? I could have knocked him out or made him look ridiculous, which I did.”

At the post-fight press conference: “I don’t think I’m fat. What I would like to do is slap around some of the newspaper writers that say I’m fat.”

Ray Austin: “Solis will beat Vitali Klitschko. He’s accurate and has a good defense. He rests and recovers well, too. The only downside I see might be his chin…..He showed a lot. I see him being the next WBC heavyweight champion. He’s good.”

Tavoris Cloud: “I got hit with a headbutt in the second round that caused a cut over my left eye, but Zuniga was a tough guy. I knew I had better skills but he came into this fight in good shape…..I only give my performance a “B” tonight. I will tell you I took this man seriously because I knew he would come to fight…..I want the winner of Pascal-Hopkins tomorrow night, or Chad Dawson if he ever decides he wants to fight me.”

Fulgencio Zuniga: “Both times I went down were from headbutts. I thought I did enough to win…..Cloud was a strong guy, a champion and a hard puncher. But I was still proud of my performance.”

Ricardo Mayorga: “I showed tonight that I can still fight. [Michael] Walker thought he had something for me, but the outcome was never in doubt. El Matador is back.”

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/solis-i-wanted-him-to-suffer-70673

Just watched the Solis vs Austin fight and it was a bit of a bizarre ending right enough.

Austin was only hanging on in to the fight anyway and kept holding and leaning on Solis, and then it was him who tried to tip Solis over the ropes, before the ref had to hold them and stop them going over.

The bell had long gone, and Austin decided to punch him in the face once they were both upstanding, and was rightfully DQ'ed.

Pretty disgusting tactics, and he had already been deducted a point in the 10th for holding.

Look forward to see how Solis does against Vitali anyway. He can definitely punch and has a pretty solid chin and body, so can ship a punch well too.

Whether he's busy enough to beat Vitali, we'll soon see, but he wasn't particularly outstanding vs Austin.

Would be great if Haye beats Wlad and Solis beats Vitali to get a rekindling of the amateur rivalry at last for the full unification!

Was I right in reading somewhere that Solis is unbeaten in over 230 amateur and professional bouts?!?

That was some bizarre ending. Austin out on his feet and hanging on for dear life. I don't think he actually knew where he was when he threw the cheap shot or while trying to take them both over the ropes.

The fight could have been ended alot earlier. Round 5 and Austin hit the canvas and once up was out on his feet but Solis just didn't make the effort.

Solis is either a very lazy fighter or can only fight in short bursts due to poor conditioning.When he lets the hands go its exciting though his accuracy is poor. Austin for the most part threw a weak jab and looks very awkward throwing punches technically.

Austin should not be ranked anywhere near the top 10 again - at 40 years old any punch resistance he once possessed is gone. Doesn't say a great deal for Solis power that he took 10 rounds.