Prescott offers Khan chance at revenge

Wheelchair

Breidis Prescott, who inflicted the only defeat of Amir Khan's career, has urged the WBA light-welterweight champion to try and gain revenge in a rematch.

The Colombian fighter inflicted a humiliating defeat on Khan in September 2008, knocking him out after just 54 seconds of their battle for the WBO Inter-Continental lightweight title.

The embarrassing loss threatened to cause permanent damage to Khan's career, but he has since recovered in some style under the tutelage of master trainer Freddie Roach.

The Bolton fighter made a third successful defence of his world title against Marcos Maidana at the weekend, in the process answering doubts about his chin that surfaced after Prescott turned his lights out.

By contrast, Prescott's star is on the wane - he has lost two of his five bouts post-Khan, including a points defeat to British prospect Kevin Mitchell. Nonetheless, he insists he has what it takes to crush the Brit again - and his hopes of a bout have been boosted by his willingness to travel to England, where Khan hopes to fight next.

"I'll go right to his backyard and knock him out again," Prescott said. "If he wants his true redemption, if he truly wants to prove what happened was a fluke and remove all doubt from his name, then let's do it again."

Prescott's co-promoter Leon Margules added: "If Amir Khan wants to erase the memory of what happened to him, it's a phone call away."

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/62616.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

It's a daunting prospect, facing up to the guy who destroyed you inside a minute, but to be perfectly honest, Prescott has been mince since that fight.

He's not even close to World Title Challenger material.

I'd still give Khan respect for opting to avenge the loss/face up against the only guy to beat him, but I don't fancy much of a shock this time around.

heard yesterday morning that a fight with Zab is close to being signed

interesting match up to be quite honest

be interested to see how Khan fairs against a slick, southpaw, somebody who can can pretty much match him for speed as well, and not only that but also carrys a bit of power

i was saying that if he fights and beats Judah, and then fights and beats the winner off Bradley/Alexander later in the year, it's hard to look past him for fighter of the year unless somebody else produces something special next year

be interested to see how Khan fairs against a slick, southpaw, somebody who can can pretty much match him for speed as well, and not only that but also carrys a bit of power

i was saying that if he fights and beats Judah, and then fights and beats the winner off Bradley/Alexander later in the year, it's hard to look past him for fighter of the year unless somebody else produces something special next year

Yeah, I like the matchup too, but you have to put it into the perspective that Judah has looked pretty mince his last half a dozen fights.

I think it's an interesting merge of styles, and the speed/power element will definitely make for a good fight.

Judah isn't the fighter he once was, though I'm still all for it.

Fighter of the year is a bit premature though.

He has to beat them both first, and then he'll be up against the likes of the Super 6 winner, whoever comes out on top in the Haye vs Klit category, Juanma and Gamboa are lined up in some pretty special matches, the bantamweight tourney winner, who will likely go on to a further unification...

I think there are at least half a dozen fighters who could put Khan's achievements into the shade, even if he does win both fights.

Yeah, I like the matchup too, but you have to put it into the perspective that Judah has looked pretty mince his last half a dozen fights.

I think it's an interesting merge of styles, and the speed/power element will definitely make for a good fight.

Judah isn't the fighter he once was, though I'm still all for it.

Fighter of the year is a bit premature though.

He has to beat them both first, and then he'll be up against the likes of the Super 6 winner, whoever comes out on top in the Haye vs Klit category, Juanma and Gamboa are lined up in some pretty special matches, the bantamweight tourney winner, who will likely go on to a further unification...

I think there are at least half a dozen fighters who could put Khan's achievements into the shade, even if he does win both fights.

first point, i don't think he's been as bad as people make out

he knocked out Santa Cruz and he won that razor thin decision against Matthysse, but people seem to overlook the quality of Matthysse, he may have been relatively unknown but the guy was undefeated and had an awkward style so for me that was a great win for Judah

on the subject of fighter of the year, you bring up some good points but half of those fights wont end up happening

if Haye fights and beats both Klitschko's then nothing at all could come close for me, but i can only see him fighting one

Gamboa and Lopez won't meet and i don't think there's much left for either of them to face to qualify them for fighter of the year, except if maybe one of them took on John and Caballero in the same year

the tournament winners are good shouts as whoever wins their respective tournaments are well deserved winners

first point, i don't think he's been as bad as people make out

he knocked out Santa Cruz and he won that razor thin decision against Matthysse, but people seem to overlook the quality of Matthysse, he may have been relatively unknown but the guy was undefeated and had an awkward style so for me that was a great win for Judah

I watched his fight vs Ernest Johnson and he was woeful, despite winning most rounds.

He came back with a couple of KO wins, but Santa Cruz was a lightweight masquerading as a welterweight, and most of his losses have come by knockout - against lightweights...

The other guy was a journeyman.

Matthyse was a good fight, but one which I thought Lucas did enough to win, especially with the knockdown in the 10th.

Judah's not been "totally mince" but he's a patch of the guy who made his name, and who would have demolished all of these guys with ease.

I still think it's a good matchup.

They're almost identical fighters imo.

Both Khan and Zab have decent power, fast hands and the same flaws with their chin, though Judah normally goes into his shell when he ships one good shot.

I'm all for the fight, and I don;t think it's a mismatch in the slightest.

It doesn't earn him fighter of the year plaudits though.

If he can go on and clear up the Bradley vs Alexander winner too, then the majority of plaudits and respect will come from that fight, but it's a bit premature to say he'll do that either.

and who is Prescott again to be offering Khan anything?

I guess if you are a nobody and find an opening anyone will jump at the chance.

Prescott holds a 54 second KO win over Khan. If Khan wants a Great Legacy as I'm sure he aspires too, then it would be good to get that blip off the record and avenge his only defeat. Avenging a loss is a criteria of greatness, so Khan has the chance to add a tick to the box.

Prescott, while limited, knows he can get a great payday for a rematch - so naturally he is calling Khan out.

and who is Prescott again to be offering Khan anything?

I guess if you are a nobody and find an opening anyone will jump at the chance.

Prescott holds a 54 second KO win over Khan. If Khan wants a Great Legacy as I'm sure he aspires too, then it would be good to get that blip off the record and avenge his only defeat. Avenging a loss is a criteria of greatness, so Khan has the chance to add a tick to the box.

Prescott, while limited, knows he can get a great payday for a rematch - so naturally he is calling Khan out.

I agree 100% about avenging a loss. But if its determined to be a whitewash is it really going to prove anything? Seeing as Maidana is loads better than Prescott.

Easy payday of course.