Jump to content

Trayn almost wrecked in Aberdeen


Recommended Posts

Scottish boxing fans were treated to an excellent evenings' entertainment at a sold-out Beach Ballroom in Aberdeen. The four fight card promoted by Granite City Promotions had plenty of excitement, with the top of the bill contest between local lad Darren ‘Trayn-Wreck’ Traynor (9st 2lb) and Bulgarian Yordan Vasilev (9st 4lb) a close affair.

There was a shock for Traynor in the opening round when a right hand over the top had him on the canvas. The home boxer looked more embarrassed than hurt and tried to box his way back into the round. Another right hand from Vasilev had Traynor down for a second time in the round as the Scotsman suffered a torrid opening stanza.

Traynor started to land more shots of his own in the second round. Rather than being wary of his opponents power Traynor kept taking the fight to the Bulgarian and he shipped a couple of big shots in order to land his own. It was a close round, however the better work came from Traynor.

The Aberdeen man started to box better after the early scare and started to outbox Vasilev. Traynor used the jab well and his corner was urging him to continue with it, but although the home fighter landed more, but his punches were not deterring Vasilev, who fired off big single shots in reply.

Around the half-way mark, Traynor started to throw more combinations, but round six was a quiet one as both men struggled to land. Traynor worked the body more in the second half of the fight and round seven was another close one. The atmosphere inside the venue was electric as the boxers came out for round eight - the home support knew their man was in a close contest and they gave Traynor encouragement in appreciation for his efforts.

Traynor landed a big right hand in round nine, but both men found it hard to land clean shots in the last round and as the final bell rang there were a few worried faces around ringside.

Vasilev celebrated at the final bell thinking that he had done enough for victory. Traynor’s camp was more reserved. Referee Kenny Pringle scored 96-94 in favour of Traynor, who picks up the vacant International Masters Super Featherweight strap.

It was a contest where opinions were split ringside with some going for Vasilev for landing the heavier harder shots and others going for Traynor who landed more without troubling the Bulgarian.

The contest before the main event was also a close affair with Dundee’s Ronnie ‘The Shark’ Clark (9st 4lb) taking on Kirkcaldy based Latvian Andrei Podusovs (9st 3lb). Podusovs landed slightly more in the opening round as both men struggled to find their range early on. The second was close, with Clark managing to bloody the nose of the Latvian. Clark got in to his stride in round three and a body shot that looked a little low had Podusovs in retreat and struggling. It was a much better round from Clark as he stepped up the tempo.

The Latvian tried to match Clark punch for punch throughout the fight and both had their successes in the fourth of this six-threes contest. Plenty of leather was being thrown in the fifth with Clark landing the harder shots. Podusovs was breathing heavily in the last round and two great body punches from Clark had his opponent holding on. Clark was close to getting a knock down in the closing round, but he had to settle for a 58-56 points victory in an entertaining battle.

Aberdeen’s Matty ‘The Hawk’ McAllister (10st 9lb) returned to the ring for the first time since April with a comprehensive points victory over New Cummnock’s Billy Campbell (10st 9lb). McAllister entered the ring to Planet Funks ‘Chase the Sun’ - the song most known for being played at the darts, which had the home support in full flow as they sang along.

McAllister made a bright start and mixed his shots well switching between the head and body. The home boxer threw plenty of good combinations over the six-threes and was a worthy 60-54 point’s winner. McAllister was cheered on at ringside by his brother Lee and the crowd, who were vocal throughout, were treated to a comprehensive victory as “The Hawk” went after his prey.

Campbell was on the back foot for the majority of the fight and showed a good chin as the focused McAllister landed some solid shots. At the end of this one referee Kenny Pringle asked MC Craig Stephen to highlight to the crowd that he didn’t have to call break once in the whole contest.

The show opener was another close contest with Aberdeen based Pole Marek 'Macho Man' Laskowski (10st 4lb) matched against Ayr’s Martin 'Tino' McCord (10st 6lb) over four-threes. The opening round was close and there was no feeling out process as both men went at it from the opening bell. Round two was again close, perhaps shaded by McCord. The Ayrshire man opened up a cut under Laskowski’s left eye in round three, but a stronger finish to the round by the Polish boxer nicked it. The final round was a slugfest with the more accurate work coming from Laskowski who took a 39-37 points victory on Kenny Pringle’s card.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...