A damning verdict on James Toney delusion

Ton

I didn't catch all of prizefighter, but most of it on the rerun Friday daytime and I certainly didn't see any interviews or anything but I just saw an article on the BBC about James Toney's appearance in the latest PF, a huge fall from grace from his early-mid 90s prime!

I just assumed James was plodding on earning a bit of cash here and there wherever he can, knowing he was over the hill but that he can earn a living off his past glories. But through the article I understand he's actually delusional and believes he can be a world champion again and rid boxing of the "cancer" that is the Klitschko's.

Quite a sad tale really, why does this happen to them? Is it an ego thing and they refuse to believe they've lost whatever they had in their peak years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24955528

Re: A damning verdict on James Toney delusion

Slurs his words badly. He did quite well in the first fight but he hasn't the energy.

Was a poor Prizefighter. Michael Sprott won despite being badly hurt in two fights - his punch resistance has almost gone.

Easily the worst one I've seen. Sprott won almost by default, it was like being the best ski-jumper in Miami, Florida.......yeah, you might be the best in town, but it's really not much to be bragging about. As for Toney, it's nearly impossible catch more than a couple words out of each sentence and piece together what he's talking about.

Audley Harrison won two Prizefighters. Sprott has beaten Harrison and been a credible British-to-almost-Euro-level guy for years, therefore I don't see this as too bad.

If you're going to make the effort to sit and watch a tournament involving has-beens and never-weres, you can't act surprised when the guy who wins it isn't actually any good. Frankly, after Audley won the first one, the format should have been too ridiculous to continue, but people will keep watching shit.

Sprott has made £60k (presuming prize money is still £30k) for fighting 18 rounds max (possibly fewer if he won any by KO). More than I've seen/made in my life to date by far. Not bad going really.

Audley Harrison won two Prizefighters. Sprott has beaten Harrison and been a credible British-to-almost-Euro-level guy for years, therefore I don't see this as too bad.

If you're going to make the effort to sit and watch a tournament involving has-beens and never-weres, you can't act surprised when the guy who wins it isn't actually any good. Frankly, after Audley won the first one, the format should have been too ridiculous to continue, but people will keep watching shit.

Ffs, Sprott is how old, 38-39? And he's lost a hundred times, been stopped more than a few times also. One is entitled to be surprised!:ranger:

Well, Gav makes a good point that he didn't exactly beat Murders Row, every single one of these guys had question marks. I was surprised Willis couldn't box more effectively, I thought he'd have an easy go of it. Now we'll have to endure Sprott getting annihilated as a "opponent" against someone decent, simply by virtue of winning the Tournament of "Opponents". PF is what it is.

Ffs, Sprott is how old, 38-39? And he's lost a hundred times, been stopped more than a few times also. One is entitled to be surprised!:ranger:

Not when he's fighting the sort of shit in Prizefighter - it's less than a year since he fought Helenius and not only lasted the distance but looked to many of us like he'd won it. He's never been very good, but he's not completely shot and he was never completely shit. That's already a level above Prizefighter.

Christ, for all Toney's delusions, I gather he came close to getting in the final this weekend, and it's debatable between him and Roy as to who is more shot.