Debutant Watch - Martin Hillman

boxrec

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/8/87/Martinhillman.jpgIt’s been a busy week for Debutant Watch and the final boxer we feature hoping to hit the big time as a professional is Orpington’s Martin Hillman. Martin is boxing man through and through - as well as fighting himself he is a huge fan of the sport. The 22 year old make his professional debut Saturday night at the York Hall, taking on Pavels Senkovs in a super-featherweight four rounder.

What made you want to start boxing?

“My dad was a former boxer who had lots of amateur fights and he used to get Boxing News magazine every week so I just started reading the magazine which made me want to try boxing myself. He didn’t want to take me to the gym originally and I think he was a bit nervous about it but he did take me in the end! I started boxing when I was 12 at the Eltham ABC which is run by Steve and Ryan Barrett”

Did you have a boxing idol when you were younger?

“Out of the modern fighters it was like Joe Calzaghe and Ricky Hatton. I’m a huge boxing fan and I like watching videos of the old time fighters like Willie Pep and Sugar Ray Robinson as you can learn so much from watching them.”

Did you do much amateur boxing?

“I boxed at Eltham, and I boxed in Body Shot’s in Crayford. I had 57 amateur bouts and would have had more but I have been unlucky with injuries. I fought for London three times which I am very proud of.”

How do you know the time is right to turn pro?

“I was lined up to fight for Ross Minters Queensbury boxing league but I got an injured ankle and had to pull out of the fight. I fought as an amateur for ten years and I feel I have picked up enough experience to be able to turn professional. I think it’s about time I started getting paid to fight.”

Do you see a difference in the pro and amateur codes?

“Yeah there is a difference, as a pro if you don’t hurt your opponent they will just keep coming at you. The amateur game is like tap-tap then move, I still like to box but you get more time in the pro’s.”

Do you work full-time alongside boxing?

“I work full time as a car mechanic. I am up early every day and running before work then I train again after work. It’s tough but its got to be done.”

What sort of fighting style do you have?

“A good solid jab is important, I have always been more of a boxer but I know I can change my style and adapt to who ever I am boxing.”

What ambitions/expectations do you have for your pro career?

“I want to be the best I can be. As a pro I am getting one to one coaching and I feel I am improving all the time. I would love to win a Southern Area title, my uncle Albert Hillman won that title back in the 1970’s so I would love to get that belt back in the family. If you win a Southern Area title you can always get a shot at something bigger after that.”

More...