Ken Norton - Did he have a glass jaw?

WelshDevilRob

Ken Norton - Did he have a glass jaw?

I've seen a few Norton fights but wasn't around when his career was in full swing. What I've never read is anyone question his ability to take big shots.

Floyd Patterson often gets labelled as having a weak chin at the top flight and is Ken Norton in the same category as Floyd?

Norton was Ko'd 4 times in his career - 2 at the end.

So, how do people rate his chin?

I'd put him in the Frazier,Bruno,louis and Shavers chin category - not glass,but not all that strong either.

Patterson was like the Marquez and Trinidad of his day.He went down alot,but he also got back up alot and recovered pretty quickly.Most of his knockdowns were very early fights too I think.

• 10 years later...
Styles make fights and Norton did not fare well against huge punches. Not only did he lose to the likes of Foreman, Shavers, and Cooney, he was knocked out cold in 1-2 rounds. Had he fought a Sonny Liston or even a Ron Lyle, I believe the same thing would have happened. People say he was past his prime vs Shavers and Cooney but he didnt last one full round with those guys. Patterson was similar to Norton. He lasted one round two times with Liston yet went 12 rounds and did better against Ali . He actually went the distance and got the decision against Bonavena. I'm not even sure Norton would have beaten Bonavena, who knocked down Frazier twice. My opinion was the Norton's chin was suspect especially against punchers who could make him back up

--- Officially a DQ, basically because Holmesy keep hanging on for dear life while ignoring orders to fight by the ref. Bobick also zipped up Ali who had been touting his protege as the future of the div, effectively 2 KOs with one punch. Thus Holmesy early pro career spent vs novices and other base levels of the existent gene pool fighters until he got his legs back for bigger fights.

Y'all forgetting Holmes was predominantly a gun-for-hire sparring partner to all and sundry and was a reluctant boxer in his own right, shunning publicity and the limelight, unlike his contemporaries. He often went into fights totally unprepared in a sense that he had been earning corn sparring other fighters in the division, and used this as his own fitness/conditioning regime for his own fights. Remarkable record considering.

• 3 weeks later...