Debutant Watch - Justin Menzie

boxrec

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/1/17/Justinmenzie.jpgDebutant Watch features Ilford‘s Justin Menzie, who debuts at the famous York Hall, Bethnal Green this Saturday on a Goodwin Promotions card and has been matched against Lincoln’s Rick Boulter in a four round light-middleweight contest.

Justin, 30, has just gained his amateur coaching badge and while pursuing his own boxing career under the tutelage of experienced trainer Rod Julian, he intends to give something back to the community by training youngsters around the Hackney area.

What made you want to start boxing?

“I didn’t come from a boxing background, it was just a case of living local to the Lion club which was a five minute walk from my house. The gym was so close so I just though I would give it s shot. After I started training I just loved it and after six weeks I had my first amateur fight.”

Did you have a boxing idol when you were younger?

“As a kid I never followed boxing, I moved to London with my mum when I was 10 and back then my main sport was basketball. I started following the sport when I was actually boxing myself and ever since then my boxing idol was Mike Tyson, I liked him because he was fearless and I take that attitude too. Gary Russell Jnr is also a fighter who I admire because he is a southpaw like myself.”

Did you do much amateur boxing?

“I had 16 amateur fights for the Lion Club in Hoxton, I also trained at Haringey boxing club for a while but my loyalty stayed with the Lion Club.”

How do you know the time is right to turn pro?

“I have felt ready to turn pro for a while now, it's has just been a case of meeting the right people. Now I am working with Rod Julian and Steve Goodwin I feel ready. As soon as I started training with Rod he said he could see some ability and opened up the door for me to turn pro. After my first 5 amateur fights I knew I wanted to turn pro one day.

“I have been doing a lot of sparring with Joe Mullender in the past month and that has given me a huge confidence boost heading into my debut.”

Do you see a difference in the pro and amateur codes?

“The amateurs is all about scoring points and using a pitter-patter style, moving in and out. I like to work the body which doesn’t happen much in the amateurs. Already I am feeling a lot more settled boxing as a professional.”

Do you work full-time alongside boxing?

“I work as a driver/labourer for a lift engineering company, I love the job and it keeps me busy. I am a very active person and I do a lot of heavy lifting at work which is like being in the gym as well. My boss is very understanding and helps me out, it works really well at the moment and I can juggle the two easily enough. Hopefully soon I will be able to earn a living from Boxing.”

What sort of fighting style do you have?

“I’m a very aggressive fighter, but boxing is an aggressive sport so if I’m not trying to knock my opponent out, he will certainly be trying to knock me out. With my power I do like to get in there and let them feel that I’m very strong and can hit hard. I noticed as an amateur, once I have landed clean my opponent has taken a step back and gone into a shell. We have also been working on counter punching, so I like to be known as a Boxer-Puncher, rather than just being a brawler.”

What ambitions/expectations do you have for your pro career?

“I just want to win titles, I have got the belief in myself and have never doubted my ability as a boxer. I believe 100 per cent that I can go on to win a British title. First off I want to win a Southern Area title and would love to go in a Prizefighter tournament.”

More...