HBO's Head Sees Big Things For Williams-Martinez Winner

Wheelchair

On November 20, at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, which is the site of their first meeting, Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez will go to war for a second time. Last December they traded knockdowns in the first round and went to war for the remaining eleven. Williams won a close majority decision. The rematch took a lot of effort to finalize. HBO Sports President, Ross Greenburg, spent a lot of time pushing both sides to reach an agreement.

"I guess that we drove everyone crazy in the process of getting this fight done again. We drove the parties in both camps crazy," said Greenburg. "But the reason for that is because, you know, I sat at ringside for their first fight, and it was a great fight. So, not only as the president of HBO sports, but also, as a fan, why wouldn't you want to see it again?"

Depending on the result, there might be a manifestation of interest in perhaps a clash between Manny Pacquiao and Williams, who once defeated Antonio Margarito in a welterweight bout, or one featuring Martinez against Margarito, who stopped Martinez by seventh-round knockout in February of 2000.

"Whoever wins between Martinez and Williams is obvously going to be on top of the world, and, whoever loses, is certainly not going anywhere. They are two, very gifted athletes who happen to be at a similar weight," said Greenburg.

"I think that that's really what this fight is about also. There are certain times when gifted athletes are in the boxing ring together, and Martinez and Williams are two of the best athletes in the ring today."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32382

On the one hand this adds valuable incentive for Martinez and Williams to go out there and give their all in the rematch, but on the other hand, it smacks of the same old HBO mistake of throwing money at a perceived star when in fact that "star" cannot even fill auditoriums close to home.....like Chad Dawson. The idea is legitimate enough, but they should add the value element to it the way big studios do with movies, that being here's a reward ON THIS ONE, but it better produce sparks AND numbers if you want the same type of payout for the next one. I hope HBO understands that. That all aside, in this case with Martinez/Williams.....I'm more than reasonably confident we can expect these two to produce.

On the one hand this adds valuable incentive for Martinez and Williams to go out there and give their all in the rematch, but on the other hand, it smacks of the same old HBO mistake of throwing money at a perceived star when in fact that "star" cannot even fill auditoriums close to home.....like Chad Dawson. The idea is legitimate enough, but they should add the value element to it the way big studios do with movies, that being here's a reward ON THIS ONE, but it better produce sparks AND numbers if you want the same type of payout for the next one. I hope HBO understands that. That all aside, in this case with Martinez/Williams.....I'm more than reasonably confident we can expect these two to produce.

Johnny-

In this case, I actually like Greenburgs comments simply because he's basing it on something substantive for a change, it really WAS a good fight they put on the first time around. For the last few years, I've often wondered if Greenburg EVEN WATCHED the fights his network aired grin//

Before when he's wasted Millions, it was spent on locking up a "Star" that hadn't proved himself to be one yet (Berto, for example) or buying Klitshcko fights on the off chance that one of the No-hopers that we all KNEW was Cannon Fodder might somehow pull an unlikely upset. Or in the case of Dawson-Tarver 2, being the only one on the Planet that thought a rematch might result in something different.

As you mention, it might not be Hagler-Hearns or Zale-Graziano, but at least it's based on something that's happened INSIDE the Ring for a change. Pretty interesting given that I think they aired the first fight thinking that Paul Williams would have no problem disposing of Martinez and got taken by suprise grin//

I think Williams will win this alot more comfortably than people expect. I think he was taking Martinez for granted along with everyone else. I hope he does the business and gets in with on eof the big two. I think he has the potential to pretty much batter anyone between welter an middle. Which is a talent deserving of recognition. He needs to get active again though after this.

Go Martinez,

I would like to see Wiliams vs Pavlik, who pavlik will clearly beat!

I disagree however with the loser being discarded. Both are great action fighters and a joy to watch! I hate that about boxing! One lose or a few loses and you're casted away at the way side! Such a travesty!

Win lose or draw they have both made a name for themselves and will continue to be an attraction in my book (albeit a little novice one)!

Would it happen though, I can't see Pavlik staying at 160 anymore?

true, i dont think he can make 160 anymore. the canceled fight was at a catchweight somewhere 160+ i believe.

I'd like to see a Pavlik vs PW fight. I think Williams takes the win over Martinez again.

Manny Pacquiao is too small to beat Williams and that fight will never get signed.

dont forget, williams is with al haymon and with goosen not with top rank, so thats 2 more reason why pacquiao-williams wont happen mlol/

can you really see Pavlik beating Williams and why?

Pavlik sitting down on his shots wearing him down. Jermain taylor all over again.

forget that PW has an amazing punching rate per round. Pavlik will wear him down.

1. Pw stays right in front of you, not very good head movement, he's there to absorb the punishment

2. Pavliks chin is a lot sturdier that PW

3. I might give pw the edge in stamina up until the Ghost start pounding away at the body

4. I like the Ghost over the Punisher

What are your thoughts on the matter Mooreman?

I dont think the recent version of Pavlik would have much of a chance to be honest. He needs to be the bigger man and bully opponents and loves when his opponent stands there and takes punishment. I really thought that Pavlik was going to be huge until he took the beaing off Hopkins and then the air of invincibility left and he always looked like losing badly to Martinez. He still has good power but I think that Williams being the bigger and more agile boxer would give him a bit of a beating. Unless he just stands there. Williams hasnt a bad chin. He seems susceptable to the odd flash knockdown but I havent seen him badly hurt yet and he has been in with good punchers.

I'd fancy Williams to stop him!

I agree with Mooreman, I think the Kelly Pavlik that beat Taylor in 2006/2007 has left us, and this facsimile that was left in the wake of the Hopkins loss might have a hard time exploiting his size and power edge (if there is indeed one) over Paul Williams now. Maybe PW would be the opponent for bringing that out of him again and he'd be able to seek and destroy PW, but he just looks tenative in everything he does inside the Ring anymore. It's hard to think of a recent fighter who so thoroughly changed in just one night as did the Pre- and Post-BHOP Kelly Pavlk.