Lemieux vs Camacho Jnr Fight Report *Spoilers*

WelshDevilRob

Lemieux destroys Camacho Jr

By Dave Spencer/Fightnews Canada at ringside

Rising unbeaten middleweight star David Lemieux 24-0, 23 KOs) demolished Hector Camacho Jr. 52-4-1, 28 KOs) in the first round on Friday night at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Camacho was wobbled with a right hand, then laid out for the count at the bell. Time was 3:00. Lemieux retains the WBC International belt.

A trio of knockdowns combined a handful of slips put Ricardo Blackman (5-10 2 KOs) on the canvas numerous times until the super-featherweight bout was called to halt at 2:56 of the first round, making a winner of Kevin Lavallée for the third time in as many tries. Blackman proved to be wild and unconventional and was often off balance which had him on the canvas for much of the contest. The Bridgetown Barbados fighter walked into a right hand for the final knockdown thAat forced referee Jean Guy Brosseau to invoke the three knockdown rule making it the third first round knockout for the Ste Adele fighter.

The Bizier-Henry welterweight fight was canceled due to an apparent suspension of Henry that is still on the books in New Jersey and not properly rectified.

Despite his now 3-26-1 record, heavyweight Stéphane Tessier will force you to work hard for your victory and that’s exactly what Eric Martel (5-0 3KO) had to do to secure a 58-56 victory on all three scorecards. Usually Tessier will lay back and try to counter with a well timed left hook and hope you tire along the way. But this time the heavyweight who hasn’t tasted victory in over five years was able to put his punches together and had the undefeated Martel hurt and holding on several times along the way. Martel fought through a closed left eye and despite losing two of the final three rounds, pressed on despite being visibly tired over a game but ultimately overmatched Tessier. The second time the Quebec heavyweight has posted victory against Tessier.

Tyler Asselstine made his pro debut a successful one as he scored a dominating 40-36 (x3) over Francisco Tadeo who remains winless at 0-4. The Gatineau southpaw had no trouble setting up his punches and was most effective with the left to the body throughout the contest but was unable to press the action to the point where his opponent was in danger of going down. Asselstine was able to shake off some early jitters where his footwork was a bit off and had him slipping to the canvas in the early moments of the fight. Despite being winless, Tadeo of Mexico who was able to land the odd wild hook along the way, has made it to the final bell in each of his four fights.

Video of fight here: http://budweiserboxing.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=6785

Saw this one coming months ago. Natural junior welter Camacho is long past his best and was questionable at his best when at the proper weight. Lemieux is an up and comer that does what Kelly Pavlik was purported to be able to do with his "explosive power", but didn't. Lemieux is smallish with a short reach, but I am of the opinion a middleweight belt is in his future if moved correctly. Let's see him in with somebody in the top ten before next summer.

Saw this one coming months ago. Natural junior welter Camacho is long past his best and was questionable at his best when at the proper weight. Lemieux is an up and comer that does what Kelly Pavlik was purported to be able to do with his "explosive power", but didn't. Lemieux is smallish with a short reach, but I am of the opinion a middleweight belt is in his future if moved correctly. Let's see him in with somebody in the top ten before next summer.

Yeah, Camacho wasn't that strong a fighter at Junior Welter, as a Middleweight he was at Lemieux mercy. I was figuring on maybe 3 rounds for him to stop running and get destroyed, turned out it didn't even take one round to track him down.

Hate fights like this, not really sure what David got out of that one.

Yeah, Camacho wasn't that strong a fighter at Junior Welter, as a Middleweight he was at Lemieux mercy. I was figuring on maybe 3 rounds for him to stop running and get destroyed, turned out it didn't even take one round to track him down.

Hate fights like this, not really sure what David got out of that one.

The inside scoop on Camacho was that he put in less than two weeks of actual training - and yet he managed to lather Lemieux thoroughly with counters at-times early in the round.

Like I said before the fight, Lemieux has the power to do well but has shown very little else. Another Daniel Ponce De Leon.

Wrong. He is coming up well and with just 24 bouts he isn't being rushed into a shot. I'd like to see them raise the level of his competition over the next year but look at his age.....what is the hurry?

BTW - He's fighting guys Kelly Pavlik's team wishes they could get away with fighting. ;)

Wrong. He is coming up well and with just 24 bouts he isn't being rushed into a shot. I'd like to see them raise the level

So he's young, so what? I'm not saying throw him in with the champions already, but he's learning little or nothing from fights like this - knockover jobs are not the way to bring a fighter along, it's the Frank Warren method.

The Pavlik example is equally valid - another one-dimensional fighter who gets by fighting questionable opposition until he meets someone with real technical ability.

I think he's got some skills, but I also agree that he's been brought along with Kid Gloves because of his Age. But he's 20 now, and it's time to think about upgrading the opposition. Not World Class guys yet, but certainly guys better than Camacho, who was eight years and 20 pounds above his Best, which wasn't all that great to begin with.

Wrong. He is coming up well and with just 24 bouts he isn't being rushed into a shot. I'd like to see them raise the level

So he's young, so what? I'm not saying throw him in with the champions already, but he's learning little or nothing from fights like this - knockover jobs are not the way to bring a fighter along, it's the Frank Warren method.

The Pavlik example is equally valid - another one-dimensional fighter who gets by fighting questionable opposition until he meets someone with real technical ability.

Yeah, he's young and developing. He's had some good matches this year, notably the one before Camacho....a fighter that took a better developed Arthur Abraham deeper. Now of course the question becomes what did Art take out of that fighter, and time has passed, fair enough, but it was still a very good assignment with an impressive outcome. So go ahead and take Camacho out of the mix. Fine. He needs more development......and rest assured he'll get it. Staying busy with known names is a method that is as old as the hills, but rather than being pessimistic, take the matter for what it obviously is, that being a young fighter getting in the wins....not taking over the world. As for seeing nothing else, make it a point to allow that he and his team may not have him develop on your time table.

As I stated before, I'd like to see him get in there with some contenders over the next year....and I would love to see him taken ten rounds a few times....but that said, he's doing the work of some currently over hyped names .... and doing a better job of it. So you can take that one of two ways.

I'd like to see him in with John Duddy or even Andy Lee in the not too distant future.

The Abraham fight was as much Abraham's poor preparationb as iot was Ayala's workrate. And again, Ayala looked a bit doughy against Lemieux while it lasted.

Don't see the point of putting him in with Duddy, who is target practice, but there was a mooted match against Rubio that didn't seem to come off. Wouldn't be a bad option now.

Fair enough, you're some way sold on Lemieux, I'm not, at least until I see him stepping up in class, and then I think he'll be too easy to hit and get himself into trouble, and he'll have had so many easy fights it'll be difficult to break the bad habits.

The Abraham fight was as much Abraham's poor preparationb as iot was Ayala's workrate. And again, Ayala looked a bit doughy against Lemieux while it lasted.

Don't see the point of putting him in with Duddy, who is target practice, but there was a mooted match against Rubio that didn't seem to come off. Wouldn't be a bad option now.

Fair enough, you're some way sold on Lemieux, I'm not, at least until I see him stepping up in class, and then I think he'll be too easy to hit and get himself into trouble, and he'll have had so many easy fights it'll be difficult to break the bad habits.

You might be right but I'm a firm believer in a guy getting 30 to 40 fights before taking the plunge. One thing I will state is that Lemieux looks smaller than 5'10 and he needs to start working on defense and technique. He may be too much in love with his power.

30 to 40 before taking the plunge to a world title, sure, but there should be a reasonably steep learnign curve - get him in with a few guys who aren't likely to go anywhere for a good 6 or 7 rounds, some guys who can;t hurt him but have excellent skills and can teach him a few things. For me, Tyson Fury and David Haye are recent examples of young fighters who were brought along the right way - too often fighters are protected until they're overrripe and then they've lost the edge they need to reach and remain at the top.

The occasions i've seen Lemieux he's reminded me of Khan in the early days - gets his man hurt and starts to wade in without too much thought.

I hope he does well as a big puncher is always exciting at the top level, I'm just not sold right now.