Arum: Cotto-Berto tough to make, Andre is overpaid

RAZZ-MCFC

WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto is set to return on November 27 against Mexico's Freddy Hernandez at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. If successful, Berto has mentioned a number of desired opponents for 2011. One of the opponents at the top of Berto's list is WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto.

Cotto's promoter, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, says a fight with Berto is very hard to make because of the economics involved. Berto receives a significant sum of money for every fight picked up by HBO. Arum believes Berto is being overpaid by the network for "ordinary fights." And because he's already being paid a very high amount per bout, Arum says it's very difficult to make a deal to fight Cotto because Berto is going to request an even larger sum of money.

"The problem with Berto is that he's a lovely kid and he's a good fighter, but he's a tulip, which means that his value has been set by what HBO is paying him for his fights. And, like the frenzy over tulips centuries ago in Holland, it's the same thing," Arum said.

"Berto shouldn't command anything like what HBO is paying him. Therefore, it makes it very, very difficult to make a big fight for Berto against somebody like a Miguel Cotto because the kid wants to be paid more than he would get paid for ordinary fights. Therefore, he would be vastly overpaid. So it's very difficult."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32208

I agree with Arum to ta point. Berto is not the star he thinks he is

Correction, Berto is not the Star that HBO THINKS he is. Arum has a point that they were paying him too damn much fron the Start. They wanted to lock him up because they THOUGHT he was going to be a Star instead of waiting until he actually DID become one.

Gav's right though. It didn't prevent Berto from putting together a deal to face Mosley last Spring......Bob's just so used to stealing from both sides of a contest that it seems like a bad deal when he's limited to just the one fighter.

I think there is probably something in it.

Berto is vastly over-rated, and hasn't really won a meaningful fight yet, especially in any sort of spectacular fashion that would propel him into superstardom.

I don't know what he's getting paid, and it's not my place to say what a guy should or shouldn;t be getting paid anyway.

If he can get a big wad for poor fights, then fair play to him.

I don't, however, think he deserves it.

In my opinion, if he can make a Mosley fight no problem, then he should be able to make a Cotto fight no problem.

Cotto has never ducked a challenge, and Arum has to bear in mind that he's coming off of two huge losses, and his stock isn;t what it once was either.

I'll have to give him credit for the win over Collazo! I felt he should something in that fight!

However he looked ordinary against Urango and couldn't even knock him out...

I think arum is a tight arsed lawyer anyway and despite all the politics involved at the end of the day it just the fans that get cheated once again.

I think it would be a great match up and cotto wins by MD or even late round stoppage.

I'll have to give him credit for the win over Collazo! I felt he should something in that fight!

However he looked ordinary against Urango and couldn't even knock him out...

I think arum is a tight arsed lawyer anyway and despite all the politics involved at the end of the day it just the fans that get cheated once again.

I think it would be a great match up and cotto wins by MD or even late round stoppage.

Cotto would most likely knock him out, the fight would have to be at 154 as well i reckon

He's topping one million a fight on Hbo for his last 5 or so fights because Al Haymon loves him. Martinez and Williams arent getting what Berto gets for their rematch. The way it works if a fight with Cotto were to happen is that Cotto would command a figure of about 4million and Berto would be looking for at least 2.5 to 3.5 but the only money that you can pay Berto out of is the HBO money. I heard Bob talk about this before and he reckoned that HBO would pay no more than 3mil for this and should Berto get all of that when Cotto is the one selling all the tickets for the rest of the pot. Say what you like about Arum but he is dead right here. He has brought Cotto to stardom and marketed him well and Cotto has battled to get to the top. Why should they get screwed fighting a kid just because Al Haymon runs HBO. HBO are the ones ruining this sport along with the governing bodies. But IMO boxing is doing ok all around the world apart from the US. Why is that???? Because they created a culture of making boxing a luxury through premium cable , pay per view and making fights inaccessable to the public. In the 70's and 80's fights were on network tv and fights were all over the country where the fans were. Can anyone tell me where the two Duran and Leonard fights were and why?? Because the arena's paid top dollar because they could get 50k into see it. Berto is a prime example of what has happened to boxing. Its become boring to the average man and they cant identify with it.

It really is astonishing how Andre berto has been able to earn as much money as he has.The fact is that this guy hasn't fought a legitimate welterweight contender since Collazo two years ago - and the result of that fight was disputed by many.The guy isn't a draw,he's not exciting to watch,basically brings nothing to the table except a paper title that he was given for beating some bum.

Al Haymon must be constantly whoring himself out to all the bigwigs at hbo.

Yeah, I todally agree that Arum is on target that Berto's been ridiculously overcompensated by HBO from the Start, but I don't really beleive that's the true reason this fight isn't happening......trust me, if Andre Berto fought for Top Rank, his favorable HBO deal wouldn't be a problem. This is just a convenient (and for once true) Arum excuse for not pursuing it any further. He'll probably now try to push a Cotto-Clottey fight and be going, "well, I TRIED to get Berto" and then we'll find out Al Heyman never got a single call grin//