Coronation Street actor Steve Bell in Prizefighter bout

Faulks

Coronation Street actor Steve Bell in Prizefighter bout

Actor and boxer Steve Bell - picture from http://www.stevebellactor.co.uk

Steve Bell is swapping the cobbled streets of Weatherfield for the boxing ring

A television soap star is swapping acting for action, as he prepares to step into the ring for the next event in the Prizefighter series.

Coronation Street actor Steve Bell will take part in the tournament at York Hall, Bethnal Green on 20 November.

He captained the English boxing team in the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester and has fought more 150 times as an amateur.

"I'm probably better known for my amateur career and that is definitely my style of fighting," the 35-year-old said.

"I don't care who I fight. I'll have to fight three good boxers to lift that trophy but that's what I want to do."

Bell has played a squaddie in the ITV drama, appearing as an army friend of Gary Windass, called Quinny.

The actor was ringside at York Hall for the last Prizefighter event, witnessing Michael Sprott claim the Heavyweights IV title in front of a sell-out crowd.

The event will be the 15th edition of the eight-man, one-night tournaments, with the winner claiming £32,000 in prize money.

"Yes, there's a good chunk of money too," added Bell. "But the trophy and the title of Prizefighter champion is what appeals to me."

WBU featherweight champion Choi Tseveenpurev, Scott Lawton, Gary McArthur, Derry Matthews, Gary Buckland and Kevin O'Hara will also be on the bill.

The eighth and final fighter in the line-up has yet to be announced.

Not that I watch Coronation Street, but I had no idea who this guy was...

...For some reason I pictured the guy who plays Steve MacDonald! mlol/

Interesting, but fair play if he's actually pretty decent, which going by his amateur pedigree, he can't be too bad.

haha same!