Arum: "Margarito Should Make $5-6 Million For Pacquiao&

WelshDevilRob

Arum: "Margarito Should Make $5-6 Million For Pacquiao"

By Mark Vester

Former three time welterweight champion Antonio Margarito is going to be a happy man, win or lose, after everything is said and done with the upcoming clash with Manny Pacquiao. Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum told The Philippine Star that Margarito is set to make between $5-6 million dollars on the fight, which is set for November 13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Margarito is guaranteed to receive $3 million for the fight. If the pay-per-view does as well as Arum thinks it will, Margarito could nearly double the amount of money he would make.

"He is guaranteed $3 million and he has an upside on the pay-per-view. So if everything goes the way I think it would go, he should make approximately between 5 to 6 million,” said Arum.

Source:

www.boxingscene.com

Every fight of this magnitude carries a similar sort of salary, so it's not exactly a shock.

It was stupid of him to announce how much he would be making, when there are bound to be so many people vocally against him/it, but it may just be a bit of sensationalism journalism, making a story out of nothing to create a bit of controversy.

Wasn't the best thing for Arum to say was it.

Skav-

You have to wonder why he would say anything at all, since it didn't seem to be in response to any questions, but jut volunteered information.

Perhaps he wants the crowd to hate Margarito even more by buying the fight and watching him get tortured, eh, dave?

Eugh, how morbid does that sound? lol.

Skav-

LOL. That could very well be, what releasing the enough does is make us hate Margo even more, and that's not bad at the Box Office. Londoner also mentioned a possiblity to me today and that's that Arum might also be releasing this info as a kind of "I told you so" at those that told him that he couldn't sell the Cheaters resurrection.

If PacMan gives him a beating then its justice but $5 million for a beating ain't.

There is always the very real possibility that he'll win. He's alot bigger and he's not taken many beatings.

I agree, Rob, this is a fascinating fight for me, morality issue aside.

It's going to be good seeing how a 5'6 Filipino is going to handle a 6'0, 160lb Middleweight who keeps coming forward, especially when Manny can't fight on the back foot.

If Pac's power doesn't put a dent in Margarito, he's in trouble!

Yeah, makes me sick too. Hell, even without the Wrap suspension, the ass kicking Mosely gave him should've eliminated him from the equation. I must admit, I didn't think Arum could sell this........I guess I underestimated the general publics gullibility.

I don't think you can underestimate anyone's gullibility when the top fights across the quarter include Vitali vs Briggs, Haye vs Harrison and Wlad vs Chisora...!!!

Frank Warren alone, has made a career and a small fortune by selling mis-fights.

I think that Pacquiao vs Margarito doesn't even come close to being the worst fight sold on the DAY, let alone this year, or beyond...

I actually think it's an intriguing match that realistically could go either way.

Manny is bound to be the favourite, but Margarito relishes the underdog tag, and I think too many people are writing him off too soon.

Yeah, makes me sick too. Hell, even without the Wrap suspension, the ass kicking Mosely gave him should've eliminated him from the equation. I must admit, I didn't think Arum could sell this........I guess I underestimated the general publics gullibility.

I know this may cross that line with some people but I do think it's better than Haye vs Harrison, at least from a competitive standpoint.

The majority of the public for both fights will be made up by the general public so gullibility doesn't factor into it.

However, it must be said the hardcore fans that do attend Haye vs Harrison have no right to complain about the crap that promoters do put on in the future.

For me, Pacquiao gets away with it because he's well on his way to becoming a modern legend of the sport.

People may just be surprised by the outcome, anyway.

I know this may cross that line with some people but I do think it's better than Haye vs Harrison, at least from a competitive standpoint.

The majority of the public for both fights will be made up by the general public so gullibility doesn't factor into it.

However, it must be said the hardcore fans that do attend Haye vs Harrison have no right to complain about the crap that promoters do put on in the future.

For me, Pacquiao gets away with it because he's well on his way to becoming a modern legend of the sport.

Skav-

I see your point in terms of just the matchup inside the Ring, but as far as the overall picture I find Haye-Harrison a little more palatable, simply because as much as Audley hasn't done to deserve a shot, at least he's stayed within the Rules. NEITHER fight is anything Boxing should be proud about thumbd//

Skav-

I see your point in terms of just the matchup inside the Ring, but as far as the overall picture I find Haye-Harrison a little more palatable, simply because as much as Audley hasn't done to deserve a shot, at least he's stayed within the Rules. NEITHER fight is anything Boxing should be proud about thumbd//

Yeah, I agree with your last sentence, Dave!

Good. Margarito deserves it. It's wrong for people to deny him the right to earn a living in his home country.

it isn't in his home country though!

The hell it isn't. Margarito was born in Torrance, Ca. He's a US citizen. He was just raised in Mexico his whole life.

and what you mean nobody can deny him the right?

of course they bloody can, the guy wrapped his hands in plaster!