DeGale ready for 'risky' Smith fight

Faulks

DeGale ready for 'risky' Smith fight

ESPN staff

October 14, 2010

Frank Warren is flanked by Paul Smith and James DeGale © Getty Images

Enlarge Related LinksProfile:James DeGaleJames DeGale has admitted he is taking a risk by challenging champion Paul Smith for the British super-middleweight title.

DeGale's manager Frank Warren confirmed at a press conference on Thursday that the pair will meet at the Liverpool Echo Arena on December 11. The card to celebrate Warren's 30th anniversary as a promoter will be topped by Nathan Cleverly, but the focus of attention was DeGale.

The Olympic champion has looked hugely impressive in his recent fights and will get a shot at Smith's title. It is a step up the ladder for the 24-year-old, but one he feels he needs to take.

"It's a big step up in class because Paul Smith is the best super-middleweight in Britain," he said. "I used to watch him when we were in the England camp and I've seen him grow during his seven years as a pro.

"Of course it's a risky fight at this stage in my career but I have confidence in myself and my ability. I think I can win. I've got to go into the lion's den and prove I'm the best super-middleweight in the country already. I've been calling him out and I've wanted to fight for the British title, so now here's my chance."

Also on the bill will be Frankie Gavin, Billy Joe Saunders, Matthew Macklin, Kell Brook and Tony Bellew.

Exactly, this card is bullsh*t.

I look back a few weeks and laugh at the amount of people who had an expectation for Frank to come through with the goods.

Not a single match-up that anyone was hoping for or expecting, and the fact this is effectively the "main event" given Cleverley's expected world title shot is also non-existant, speaks for itself.

Frank, reverting to form.

Brook's options have fallen through for a title shot.

Chisora is fighting elsewhere.

MAcklin said he doesn't want Barker anymore.

When Frank announced this fight he actually said "this fight is flanking up the main event featuring Nathan Cleverly"

- Against who?

The title fight has fallen through, and who would he take on that actually carried any risk when he is guaranteed a world title shot in his next fight?

It doesn't really matter who is announced now, the card has no chance of even coming close to being a "Massive Event" as Frank was trying to bill.

Don't be surprised to see DeGale or Smith pulling out days before the event too.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6445349,00.html

Frank Warren has announced that Nathan Cleverly, Matthew Macklin and Kell Brook will all feature on his anniversary show in December.

The promoter will celebrate 30 years in boxing on the 11th and is looking to put on a similar card to the successful 'Magnificent Seven' promotion last month.

The trio all featured on that night and return to action at the Liverpool Echo Arena alongside James DeGale, who takes on British super-middleweight champion Paul Smith.

Cleverly's opponent has not been named but the fight will be a WBO eliminator with champion Jurgen Braehmer currently fighting to avoid a lengthy prison sentence following two separate charges of assault.

Commonwealth champion Tony Bellew has been calling out Cleverly but was disappointing last time out and will have much to prove in his next defence, which also takes place on the undercard.

European middleweight champion Macklin is also awaiting an opponent as is WBO intercontinental title king Brook, who will make a defence of his title.

Frankie Gavin will take on a quality domestic operator in Dean Harrison - who dropped Nigel Wright for the first time in his career in July on the way to points loss - for the WBO intercontinental light-welterweight title,

"I've put on some massive shows during my 30 years in boxing and this will be up there with the best," Warren told his website.

"At the moment I've got the most exciting crop of young boxers I've ever worked with and this show represents the next generation of stars in British boxing.

"This is set to be a fantastic night with some cracking fights from top to bottom on the card. Smith and DeGale is a fight that everybody wants to see and with exciting youngsters like Cleverly, Brook, Macklin, Bellew and Gavin, plus many more joining them, it will be one huge night for the fans."

Fight fans will also be able to see Dereck Chisora take Wladimir Klitschko for the WBO and IBF heavyweight titles, a fight that will be beamed into the arena.

Smith and DeGale is a fight that everybody wants to see

No it fecking well isn't! angry//

We all wanted to see DeGale vs Groves, and YOU said you'd get the fight on. You didn't.

warren// you are just the same old cretin, promising what you cannot deliver. Just go and do us on all massive favour for your 30th anniversary would you? Tie some lead weights to your feet and jump in the Thames would you?

Then we'll all dance// on your grave.

Tosser. finger//

As if his failure to deliver world level matches wasn't bad enough, let alone the simplest of domestic matches, never mind that, Cleverly is apparently now fighting in ANOTHER WBO World title eliminator!?!

Frank put out speculation before the Magnificent 7, that the fight vs Murat would be for the full title, because of Braehmer's ongoing legal problems.

Instead it ended up being settled "as an eliminator."

Now he's got to fight in another one?

For what reason? I thought he was mandatory for the title?

It's just an excuse to make the fight sound more important than it actually is.

It's Nathan Cleverly versus "TBA," the token Frank Warren opponent.

This "anniversary show" is simply turning into another Birthday Present for Frank and a payday for nothing yet again.