Jump to content

Malignaggi Confirms Welterweight Run For Hopkins-Pascal


WelshDevilRob
 Share

Recommended Posts

Malignaggi Confirms Welterweight Run For Hopkins-Pascal

 

By Rick Reeno

 

Former junior welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi (27-4, 5KOs) has confirmed BoxingScene.com's recent story about his possible participation on the Jean Pascal-Bernard Hopkins undercard on December 18 at the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec.

 

Malignaggi will begin the next chapter of his career as he enters the ring for the first time since signing a promotional contract with Golden Boy Promotions. Malignaggi had previously been promoted by Lou DiBella before the two parted ways a few months ago. Malignaggi will also begin his run in the welterweight division. Citing weight struggles, Malignaggi will no longer compete at 140-pounds.

 

"That's what we're going to do. I'll be fighting on December 18th. I don't know yet if they're going to show the fight on TV. We're going to fight in December and I hope to get something big in early 2011," Malignaggi said to BoxingScene.com.

 

Erik Morales, now fighting between 140-147-pounds, will have his next fight televised on the Pascal-Hopkins pay-per-view. Morales' fight will be carried via split-feed from Mexico. Malignaggi, unaware of his split-feed status, had inquired about fighting Morales on the card.

 

"When I heard Erik Morales was going to be on the show, I asked about fighting him but they told he wasn't fighting in Canada, that his fight would be in Mexico. I don't know who I'm fighting yet," Malignaggi said.

 

Malignaggi is expecting big things for 2011.

 

"I'm real excited about boxing again, and about everything going on in my life. I have a lot of things going on outside of boxing. I can't wait to get in the ring in December. I hope to have something big in early 2011. I'm very happy that I'm with a promoter like Golden Boy. I want all of my fans in Quebec to come to the show," Malignaggi said.

 

Source:

www.boxingscene.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

....So he moves up yet again, into a division where he is even more feather-fisted, and is going to be even more brutalised by top level opponents???

 

 

...Instead of moving back down to lightweight where he would have been competitive in the first place.

Let's face facts, he was gifted the title by the referee who refused to let N'Dou fight on the inside, and then he was a pretty weak world champion (quite literally) after that, and was shown up in boxing skill even by Ricky Hatton, who is barely known for his boxing.

I think he could have been a great lightweight, as it was his natural size and he would have carried almost enough power to get a slightly better KO ratio.

He has a great heart and chin, but Paulie at welterweight is just asking for trouble....tbh it speaks volumes about Goldenboy's management, as much as it does of the fighter himself.

He's obviously being lined up as some 147lb cannon fodder, once he's established a win or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think it's only Paulie who doesn't realise Golden Boy didn't sign him to help him with his career

 

they signed him just so they can throw him in with all their up and coming prospects,

 

he doesn't bang so he isn't a danger but he's a decent name to have on the record

 

win-win for any up, coming fighter GB fighter

 

wish the same could be said for poor old Paulie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

its a shame really because i quite like malignaggi. if he had a bit of power there was nothing to stop him being in the same class as mosley/ cotto etc. sadly he doesnt have that power and hes a good B level fighter

 

at 147 hes cannon fodder for anyone with a decent dig. hes gonna be a lot smaller with nowhere near enough power to hold anybody off. had he gone down to lightweight he could have been world champion again providing he avoided Katsidis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

its a shame really because i quite like malignaggi. if he had a bit of power there was nothing to stop him being in the same class as mosley/ cotto etc. sadly he doesnt have that power and hes a good B level fighter

 

at 147 hes cannon fodder for anyone with a decent dig. hes gonna be a lot smaller with nowhere near enough power to hold anybody off. had he gone down to lightweight he could have been world champion again providing he avoided Katsidis

 

and Marquez...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

its a shame really because i quite like malignaggi. if he had a bit of power there was nothing to stop him being in the same class as mosley/ cotto etc. sadly he doesnt have that power and hes a good B level fighter

 

at 147 hes cannon fodder for anyone with a decent dig. hes gonna be a lot smaller with nowhere near enough power to hold anybody off. had he gone down to lightweight he could have been world champion again providing he avoided Katsidis

 

i don't like him at all hes not a great fighter and quiet boring, apart from his haircuts theres not that excitement about the guy. and he was hyped up way too much when he went 12 rounds with undefeated cotto, stopping his undefeated record. his ranting mouth as well puts me off the guy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jean Pascal-Bernard Hopkins moves off PPV, heads to Showtime

 

The December 18 fight between world light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal and Hall of Fame-bound challenger Bernard Hopkins has been officially moved off of pay-per-view, a Showtime press release announced today. The two will fight on regular Showtime, starting at 10pm EDT from the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec City.

 

I don't know what made this happen, but there are a lot of possibilities. For one thing, the fight just isn't that good. Yes, it's a legit championship fight, but Pascal is still well under the radar for American audiences, and Hopkins has never been a draw. His recent fights have done miserable numbers on PPV and HBO. As great as Hopkins is, he's never become a superstar. He has neither the style nor personality suited to being a huge money fighter, even though he has been a truly great fighter.

 

I hope that's a big reason they're doing this, but my guess is it's pretty far down the actual list. One problem might have been undercard. So many of Golden Boy's name fighters are fighting close to that date that they were all but out of options to stick on the show, and Pascal's promoters at GYM don't have any star power suitable for a PPV undercard. We complain about PPV undercards pretty much every time there is a PPV, but at least you're getting half an attractive fight almost every time with those bouts. They're just usually mismatches. There aren't even any mildly attractive mismatches to make for December 18. GYM just doesn't have anyone too notable, and Golden Boy's guys are locked up. Amir Khan, Marcos Maidana and Victor Ortiz are fighting on Dec. 11; Juan Manuel Marquez and Michael Katsidis are going on Nov. 27; Saul Alvarez is headlining in Mexico on Dec. 4; Robert Guerrero and Lucas Matthysse are fighting on Nov. 6. When you look at the Golden Boy stable, they would have had to try and fill a show out with the likes of Rocky Juarez and their not ready for prime time prospects, maybe get a James Kirkland rust-shaker fight on the card, maybe see if Paul Malignaggi or Juan Diaz wanted to fight again on that date, all of which is unlikely.

 

The budget for the show probably didn't help any there. Pascal and Hopkins are both likely getting pretty damn good guarantees for the fight, and there was certainly no guarantee this thing wouldn't flat bomb on PPV. Hopkins did less than 100K earlier this year for a grotesque rematch against Roy Jones Jr. that served at best to fill some void in his soul or whatever, and his 2008 fight with Kelly Pavlik did about 180K, it was reported. When you have high guarantees in a main event that likely isn't going to sell well, there's no money to waste on a big undercard, or even attempting to make something useful.

 

There was even talk of doing a split-site PPV with Erik Morales fighting in Mexico. Morales has been in contact with Golden Boy Promotions recently, as the two sides seem utterly hell-bent on a fight between Marquez and Morales in 2011. But that didn't pan out as PPV material. We'll see if that might enter plans still, but it would seem a bit of a long shot.

 

The show's proximity to Christmas probably played some kind of role, too. HBO turned down the fight not so much because they didn't want it, but major American networks rarely carry boxing that close to the holiday, and HBO has another event planned for that date, anyway. Asking fight fans to spend $50 or so on a card lacking a great main event or a balanced undercard within a week of Christmas, when wallets are light, seemed like a really strange plan in the first place.

 

The good news is you'll have something decent to do on December 18 if you're a boxing fan, and you won't have to pay for it. There's really no downside to this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree, I think hard economic times are convincing people that you simply can't oversell the PPV business. This putting fights that aren't even good HBO or Showtime fights onto PPV and expecting people to fork over $40 for it is insane. It's a good sign that garbage like Jones-Santiago, Hopkins-Pascal, etc. are being yanked off PPV, now if we can just get the rabid Mexican fans to quit buying Chavez Jr. PPV Jokes from Top Rank.......

 

To me, PPV was meant to operate like the old Closed Circuit did. It was just for SuperFights, the Mega attactions that come along maybe once a year if that. The ones you didn't want to miss because you never knew when there would be another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...