P4P with a difference!

iamasadlittleboy

Re: P4P with a difference!

Possibly the states, they have a lot of champions at the minute???

Are you kidding, Mofo? Per capita, the States probably rank near the bottom right now. 365 Million people and if you look at the four recognized belts, how many champs do you see? http://www.fightnews.com/rankings-2

Floyd, Ward, then some guys like Bradley, Broner, Danny Garcia, Alvarado and then a couple joke champs like Devon Alexander and Lamont Peterson, and that's pretty much it.

I remember I used to rant about this during the Nineties when England had so many Champions, and some of my fellow Americans would scoff and point out that we had more, and I'd say, "Yeah, but compare the size. It's about the size of Texas, and if Texas had that many Champions then you'd be raving and go on-and-on about all the Texas Champs". Puerto Rico has clearly been the overachiever through the years, with them being in a bit of a slump, then I'm not sure. Cuba is considerably bigger than PR, about 11 Million, but with the increased number of pros coming along, it might soon take the lead per capita.

Are you kidding, Mofo? Per capita, the States probably rank near the bottom right now. 365 Million people and if you look at the four recognized belts, how many champs do you see? http://www.fightnews.com/rankings-2

Floyd, Ward, then some guys like Bradley, Broner, Danny Garcia, Alvarado and then a couple joke champs like Devon Alexander and Lamont Peterson, and that's pretty much it.

I remember I used to rant about this during the Nineties when England had so many Champions, and some of my fellow Americans would scoff and point out that we had more, and I'd say, "Yeah, but compare the size. It's about the size of Texas, and if Texas had that many Champions then you'd be raving and go on-and-on about all the Texas Champs". Puerto Rico has clearly been the overachiever through the years, with them being in a bit of a slump, then I'm not sure. Cuba is considerably bigger than PR, about 11 Million, but with the increased number of pros coming along, it might soon take the lead per capita.

Ive looked at the list dave and no country obviously stands out other than the US who have what appears to be the most by far.....it was just a stab in the dark, as sometimes the less obvious one is the answer :D

Ive looked at the list dave and no country obviously stands out other than the US who have what appears to be the most by far.....it was just a stab in the dark, as sometimes the less obvious one is the answer :D

You guys are actually both right. I'm so glad this was a twist on that menacing two letters and a number. Biggest phantom since the traditional 8 changed to 17. Person for person would depend on weight classes. The calculations would look quite different above say 122 then below it.

Which country currently produces the best boxers on a "person-for-person" basis?

Traditionally this role has been held by Puerto Rico (a country with around 3.6 to 3.7 million people) though with Puerto Rican boxing only having a handful of notable names right now, who has taken the title from them?

--- Puerto Rico is a protected commonwealth territory of the US, not an independent country. Since untold numbers actually live in the US and are eligible to vote in presidential elections without even obtaining citizenship, clearly your selection is gravely muddled even if honorable in recognizing the incredible number of recent champs and contenders from those isles.

I would offer up perhaps Kazakhstan as worthy of consideration, about as backwater a place as you can get developmentally in a modern sense. Golovkin and Shumenov who was upgraded to WBA super status plus a load of contenders and former champs lost in the mists of modern ABCs of which former Soviet satellite states have only recently emerged as boxing powers.

You guys are actually both right. I'm so glad this was a twist on that menacing two letters and a number. Biggest phantom since the traditional 8 changed to 17. Person for person would depend on weight classes. The calculations would look quite different above say 122 then below it.
Good to see ya mate :thumb:

Argentina has upped its numbers in this in the recent years, but recently one of their main candidates has suffered an upset-Matthysse of course. Still, they got Narvaez, Martinez and a few women who are kicking ass currently.

In terms of just female I think Argentina are #1, though with a population of 41,000,000 there is a lot of them

Kazakhstan is around 17 million

Cuba, at just 11 million, is doing well (Rigo, Lara, Hernandez)

Mofo-

There's two ways to look at the USA numbers, sure they probably have as many as anyone else, but per capita it still seems a bit small, and where it's REALLY striking is to compare us to where we were back in the past. Not going back to the 30's when there were usually seven of the eight champs located in the States, but even into the seventies when the USA usually had at least one of the belts in everything above flyweight. Some of the USA fans still have that mentality that the boxing world revolves around the States and are kind of blind to divisions where American presence has dropped off dramatically over the years. EVERYBODY spots it in the Heavyweights, but nobody ever mentions it's down in other divisions as well. You can point to a weaking Am program and other causes, but to me it's more about the rest of the world raising their game and us remaining stagnant as our best athletes look to other sports.