McCloskey targets Amir Khan

RAZZ-MCFC

Paul McCloskey has set his sights on Amir Khan after defending his European light-welterweight title for the second time against Barry Morrison on Saturday night.

The 31-year-old Irishman stopped his opponent in seven rounds in the Hunky Dory's Fight Night event in Letterkenny and immediately called out the WBA beltholder.

McCloskey was comfortably in control during the early rounds, working away at his Scottish opponent without doing huge amounts of damage.

However, Morrison sank to one knee after being caught flush on the temple with a right hand in the fifth and was on the canvas once more in the seventh - although McCloskey's shot was not ruled a punch.

The fight was to last only around another minute. McCloskey pinned his opponent back on the ropes and landed a combination of punches. Although he failed to land a winning blow, Morrison went to ground again and referee Mark Green stopped the fight.

McCloskey told RTE afterwards: "I was so pleased with the performance, I started really sharp.

"He's a hard, hard man and that's a brilliant result for me, it pushes me up the ladder.

"The crowd were amazing, and that really pushes you on. It was good, I was happy."

Asked about the future, he replied: "What's the next move after becoming European champion? It's obviously the world.

"Amir Khan is one of the big names out there - he's English, I'm Irish, it'd be a great fight for this part of the world. Let's get it on."

Coach John Breen added: "He showed real class tonight. Barry Morrison's not a bad fighter and Paul made him look second-rate tonight."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6424018,00.html

Haven't seen his most recent fight yet, but have seen at least half a dozen of his fights, and I think Khan would hammer him.

And I'm not a particularly big fan of Khan's.

I just can't see an area of their games where McCloskey comes out on top?

There are a few other domestic guys who would give him a good fight anyway at least, so he should be involved in some relatively high profile matchups in the near future anyway.

I think anyone wanting to win a world title at 140lbs would choose Khan...

The lads in the studio (RTE) think he has all the boxing skills to win a world title but they'd be worried that the likes of Bradley etc would suss him out and counter him as he leaves himself very exposed. But his reflexes are amazing at this level, and has great footwork etc.

(Just in case ye didn't listen to the post-fight chat)!

The lads in the studio (RTE) think he has all the boxing skills to win a world title but they'd be worried that the likes of Bradley etc would suss him out and counter him as he leaves himself very exposed. But his reflexes are amazing at this level, and has great footwork etc.

(Just in case ye didn't listen to the post-fight chat)!

I do like McCloskey and he is a pretty confident guy who seems so laid back in the ring, yet handles his opponents pretty well, with what often appears like ease.

I've never been in awe of what he's done in the ring, but I do think he has a few gears to step up into yet if he needs to, so he's definitely not found his level yet.

I am worried that he keeps the same relaxed outlook for bigger fights, and gifts it to his opponent.

Bear in mind, this is without seeing his last fight, or any of the chat that followed on from it though.

It sounds like it was his best performance to date, but was with all due respect, against a tired Barry Morrison whose better days are well behind him.