It's official Glen Johnson in Super Six

Wheelchair

Veteran contender Glen “The Road Warrior” Johnson has been tapped to replace the injured Mikkel Kessler in the Super Six World Boxing Classic and is preparing to meet Allan Green in a Group Stage 3 bout on Saturday, Nov. 6, live on SHOWTIME® (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast), it was officially announced today by SHOWTIME Sports® Executive Vice President and General Manager Ken Hershman.

The 12-rounder between the Jamaican-born Johnson (50-14-2, 34 KOs), of Miami, Fla., and Green (29-2, 20 KOs), of Tulsa, Okla., will emanate from MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas and open the telecast on SHOWTIME. In the second half of the excellent Nov. 6 SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING doubleheader, undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) featherweight champion Juan Manuel “JuanMa” Lopez (29-0, 26 KOs) of Puerto Rico will defend his title against two-division world champion Rafael Marquez (39-5, 35 KOs) of Mexico City.

A former International Boxing Federation (IBF) light heavyweight champion, Johnson is a hard-knocking veteran who has fought and defeated some of the best fighters of this era. Seemingly always in close, rough, crowd-pleasing fights, Johnson owns victories over Roy Jones Jr. and Antonio Tarver, among others.

Johnson has appeared in seven world title fights and now has an opportunity to reestablish himself as one of the world’s elite prizefighters.

“I want to thank Showtime for including me in their Super Six tournament,” he said. “Having dedicated so many years to the sport of boxing, it is gratifying to still be considered worthy of competing with some of the top fighters in the world and on such a prestigious platform.”

Regarding the super middleweight limit of 168 pounds, at which Johnson has not fought since 2000, he stated: “I typically weigh in at 172 pounds for my light heavyweight fights. I will have no trouble making the 168-pound limit as a super middleweight.”

Group Stage 3, the final Stage of the point-based round-robin portion of the tournament, will determine the four fighters who will advance to the single-elimination Semifinals. As per tournament rules, a replacement fighter enters the Group Stage tied with the last place fighter—in this case, Green with zero points. Both men go into the Nov. 6 showdown on equal ground. But only one will have the opportunity to qualify for the Semis. The winner of Green vs. Johnson—with either 2 or 3 points—would need help from Andre Ward and/or Arthur Abraham to qualify. (See current standings below)

Allan Green, who was outmatched in his Group Stage 2 bout against Ward, is ready for the challenge ahead of him. Inspired to redeem himself, his intense preparation will continue as planned despite the change from Kessler to Johnson. No matter the opposition, Green needs a strong performance in Group Stage 3 to advance.

Following Nov. 6, Group Stage 3 will conclude on Saturday, Nov. 27, on SHOWTIME when Ward of Oakland, Calif., faces Andre Dirrell of Flint, Mich., in a battle of American stars and Abraham of Germany takes on former World Boxing Council (WBC) titlist Carl Froch of England, in a matchup that pits arguably the hardest punchers in the Super Six at Hartwall Areena in Helsinki, Finland. Ward-Dirrell will be televised live; Abraham-Froch will be shown on same-day delay.

SUPER SIX WORLD BOXING CLASSIC SCOREBOARD (Through Group Stage 2)

Record Fighter Points

2-0 Andre Ward 4

1-1 Arthur Abraham 3

1-1 Carl Froch 2

1-1 Andre Dirrell 2

0-1 Allan Green 0

0-0 Glen Johnson* 0

*Johnson replaces Mikkel Kessler

In Group Stage competition, fighters earn 2 points for a win, 1 bonus point for a KO/TKO and 1 point for a draw

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/glen-johnson-in-super-six-61733

I greatly admire Johnson and all but I thought Wheelchair was posting another humorous joke for us all!

Johnson will get nowhere in this tournament and his fight with Green only serves as a side attraction to the other two great bouts.

They really should forget replacements for Kessler.

I greatly admire Johnson and all but I thought Wheelchair was posting another humorous joke for us all!

Johnson will get nowhere in this tournament and his fight with Green only serves as a side attraction to the other two great bouts.

They really should forget replacements for Kessler.

Skav-

Showtime WANTED to move forward and just call the two fights the Semi-Finals, but I guess the Contracts didn't permit it, so they had to do it this way :( I think it's an okay fight, but your right that I'll be sadly disappointed if one of these guys scores a KO and then displaces a Dirrell or Froch who happens to come up short against Ward or Abraham.

Razz-

I think when we look back at the Super Six, we'll most likely remember it for the good times we've had with it, and will tend to forget all the little snags along the way like Froch's injury that delayed the AA fight. In the end, I still see one of these guys raising that big Silver Trophy over their heads, the confetti coming down, and everybody remembering it fondly. Maybe I'm dreaming there :)

This will be a good fight. Both fighters will know a stoppage may put them in a lucrative semi and should make for a war. Or at least a very good fight. Razz I think this is an undercard fight to Lopez vs Marquez. I reckon thats a quality fight. Adds substance to a card that may have struggled in Vegas

I don't see how anyone can call the Super 6 a failure or disapointment.If it wasn't for the Super 6 making these fights we'd be making 'Who wins' topics. The fights are happening, true there are snags but we are seeing match-ups made that otherwise probably wouldn't have happened.

Lets judge the Super 6 once its over. I think it will be looked back on as a good thing.

the bute exclusion was a massive oversight by showtime IMO

Showtime wanted him at the beginning. HBO offered him 3 times the going rate for an Andrade fight. Bute took the money. Can't blame him but thats why he ain't in the Super 6.

Bute's next fight is on ESPN. (Worldwide rights owned by HBO) Bute's picky handlers made the wrong choice and took the cashful of money.

I said this to dave the other day and to Rob tonight, might as well make it officially predictiony - I can't see johnson being able to do any good at 168. It's a decade since he last fought there, he's been almost bang on 175 for 10 years and he's been looking like an old warrior who never quite made the elite for a while now. He went to the well against Cloud but I worry that was his Morales-Pacquiao/Diaz moment, and he still didn't win.

I can't see how he'll even make the weight comfortably, much less compete enough to be in contention. Is this a retirement plan?

the bute exclusion was a massive oversight by showtime IMO

Showtime wanted him at the beginning. HBO offered him 3 times the going rate for an Andrade fight. Bute took the money. Can't blame him but thats why he ain't in the Super 6.

Bute's next fight is on ESPN. (Worldwide rights owned by HBO) Bute's picky handlers made the wrong choice and took the cashful of money.

from what i understand about it, showtime never even asked bute to join.

From what I was told during my time as admin at LiveFight which also ran the official Froch forum - now joined together. Bute was offered a spot at around the same time as Froch. Bute's handlers weren't happy giving away so many conssesions like where Bute would fight and against who, so took HBO's improved offer. I'm just repeating what I was told and the sources are reliable. I believe Bute had previously fought on Showtime but made the switch to HBO, so I think Showtime would have definately approached Bute - it makes sense.

I like Bute and I'm sure most agree that Super 6 would be better with him in it, Why he's not there is open to debate.

I said this to dave the other day and to Rob tonight, might as well make it officially predictiony - I can't see johnson being able to do any good at 168. It's a decade since he last fought there, he's been almost bang on 175 for 10 years and he's been looking like an old warrior who never quite made the elite for a while now. He went to the well against Cloud but I worry that was his Morales-Pacquiao/Diaz moment, and he still didn't win.

I can't see how he'll even make the weight comfortably, much less compete enough to be in contention. Is this a retirement plan?

I like Johnson being in Super 6 and he's a decent late replacement but I completely agree that he might be too weakened by making the weight and also he's not getting any younger. I would favour him over Allan Green but the weight could well be the deciding factor.

...so Froch's fans say he was asked?...The same Froch's fans that felt he desrved the decision against Kessler? ;-)

Not Froch fans but people close to the man himself. Before the actually Super 6 was announced. Everything else they've told me about has been reliable.

The HBO bit is in several articles and I think common knowledge.

...so Froch's fans say he was asked?...The same Froch's fans that felt he desrved the decision against Kessler? ;-)

Not Froch fans but people close to the man himself. Before the actually Super 6 was announced. Everything else they've told me about has been reliable.

"We were never presented a proposal from Showtime. Bute would have happily entered the tournament," said Majeski. "How is Jermain Taylor in? He has lost three of his last four. What have Dirrell or Ward ever done?

http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-dallas/showtime-tournament-already-flawed

"IBF champion) Lucien Bute was not invited (to participate). He's a great champion but this tournament works. Not one promoter or fighter objected to the first-round draw. They all said ‘put me in front of anyone.’ Each promoter feels their guy is ready to take this tournament.’

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=20447&more=1

The fight announcement comes just two days after Showtime formally unveiled plans for a super middleweight tournament that includes six of the top fighters in the 168-pound division, including titleholders Mikkel Kessler and Carl Froch, Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell and Arthur Abraham, who vacated a middleweight title to move up in weight last week. Bute and Andrade, however, were not invited to participate despite strong resumes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4330348

With three Europeans filling half the slots, SHOWTIME bowed to geography and American insularity and ignored the Romanian-born, Canadian citizen, opting instead for three U.S.-born fighters –ex-middleweight champion Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell and recently crowned WBA super middleweight title holder Andre Ward - to fill out the lineup.

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-article/7495/mon-now-shouldn-bute-super-six-tourney/

Because Pavlik and Bute were not invited, HBO is using the opportunity to build up its own super middleweight, the HBO way. Rather than having an egalitarian tournament to determine the winner of the spoils, HBO knows that Bute and Pavlik are the two biggest threats to the winner of the Super Six. HBO also knows that if Bute and Pavlik fight each other down the line, the winner of that fight would likely be in the top 2 in the weight class, and thus the winner of the Super Six won't be a true champion.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/2/7/1292364/lucian-bute-and-the-super-six-hbo

Things to remember:

Andrade II was to settle the score

HBO date (and purse) due to Andrade/GBP

Ward and Dirrell were hardly known before hand

3 European and 3 Americans

HBO only paid $550,000 more for the rematch than Showtime paid for the first fight

How many more sources, quotes etc do you want?

Mick Henneseey even said "Bute is not in the frame"

MICK HENNESSY:

“I just want to say something, the third world champion who’s not in this tournament, Lucian Bute, was offered huge money to fight Carl Froch before this tournament. He had a mandatory, and the only way around that mandatory was to have a unification. He was offered huge money and he turned it down.

Lucian Bute is not even in the frame."

http://www.secondsout.com/usa-boxing-news/usa-boxing-news/froch-and-dirrell-conference-call-highlights[/i]

^^well said

anyways my two cents on the "mess" at 168:

once the tournament has a winner its pretty much inevitable that HBO will snatch him up to fight bute. its either that or the winner will just stay on showtime and fight bums because his price will have gone way up and showtime won't be able to afford the really good opponents (not to mention the division isnt that strong outside of the tournament and bute).

so unless bute loses or something dramatic happens at 168, the winner of the super six vs. bute will be the true champ at 168 IMO

"We were never presented a proposal from Showtime. Bute would have happily entered the tournament," said Majeski. "How is Jermain Taylor in? He has lost three of his last four. What have Dirrell or Ward ever done?

http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-dallas/showtime-tournament-already-flawed

"IBF champion) Lucien Bute was not invited (to participate). He's a great champion but this tournament works. Not one promoter or fighter objected to the first-round draw. They all said ‘put me in front of anyone.’ Each promoter feels their guy is ready to take this tournament.’

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=20447&more=1

The fight announcement comes just two days after Showtime formally unveiled plans for a super middleweight tournament that includes six of the top fighters in the 168-pound division, including titleholders Mikkel Kessler and Carl Froch, Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell and Arthur Abraham, who vacated a middleweight title to move up in weight last week. Bute and Andrade, however, were not invited to participate despite strong resumes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4330348

With three Europeans filling half the slots, SHOWTIME bowed to geography and American insularity and ignored the Romanian-born, Canadian citizen, opting instead for three U.S.-born fighters –ex-middleweight champion Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell and recently crowned WBA super middleweight title holder Andre Ward - to fill out the lineup.

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-article/7495/mon-now-shouldn-bute-super-six-tourney/

Because Pavlik and Bute were not invited, HBO is using the opportunity to build up its own super middleweight, the HBO way. Rather than having an egalitarian tournament to determine the winner of the spoils, HBO knows that Bute and Pavlik are the two biggest threats to the winner of the Super Six. HBO also knows that if Bute and Pavlik fight each other down the line, the winner of that fight would likely be in the top 2 in the weight class, and thus the winner of the Super Six won't be a true champion.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/2/7/1292364/lucian-bute-and-the-super-six-hbo

Things to remember:

Andrade II was to settle the score

HBO date (and purse) due to Andrade/GBP

Ward and Dirrell were hardly known before hand

3 European and 3 Americans

HBO only paid $550,000 more for the rematch than Showtime paid for the first fight

How many more sources, quotes etc do you want?

Mick Henneseey even said "Bute is not in the frame"

MICK HENNESSY:

“I just want to say something, the third world champion who’s not in this tournament, Lucian Bute, was offered huge money to fight Carl Froch before this tournament. He had a mandatory, and the only way around that mandatory was to have a unification. He was offered huge money and he turned it down.

Lucian Bute is not even in the frame."

http://www.secondsout.com/usa-boxing-news/usa-boxing-news/froch-and-dirrell-conference-call-highlights[/i]

Ok so why not try typing Bute rejects Super 6 in the search engine. You can keep trying to prove me wrong but apart from internet articles have you spoken with anyone involved? I have and they are reliable, I take their word on what happened. Simple as that.

I'd also guess some of this stems from Bute and his team being unhappy with the lack of invite for the tournament, though Showtime has said he simply rejected an invitation. I'm also curious about that whole deal. Why would Showtime lie? They've got a great tournament even without him, and part of me wonders if Bute got the invitation, and he and his handlers decided it was a pipe dream and just went, "Thanks, but no thanks."

http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/7/16/951434/thursday-afternoon-notes-bute

Bute’s promoters rejected the opportunity of participating in the Super 6 Boxing Classic, for reasons unknown to man. It might be a decision they’ll regret, we’ll wait and see.

http://theboxingtribune.com/2009/12/2009-super-middleweight-report/

It's been suggested the winner of Froch-Taylor will get a chance to add the IBF belt to their CV by fighting the winner of this Friday's title fight between Lucian Bute and Fulgencio Zuniga.

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=boxing/09/03/10/manual_183340.html

A fight that Bute and his handlers rejected - plenty on that in the search engines.

Anyway, I know what I know and not everything is published and rehashed onto the internet, sometimes things stay behind closed doors. To my knowledge Bute and his handlers went the HBO route rather than a Froch unification and also to particpating in the Super 6.

It's upto others to believe what they want. mlol/