Jovan Young's back home and boxing in Camden

boxrec

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/b/bb/Jovanyoung.jpgSussex born Jovan 'Hammer' Young (4-0-1) boxes professionally for the first time in the UK when he appears at the Camden Centre on Saturday August 3rd.

Young's professional career has thus far taken place overseas. After making his debut in Uruguay last June, he had his next three bouts in Carolina, US, but is happy to return home.

The 25 year-old middleweight is better known by fight fans in Jamaica and the States. Both his grandparents were from Jamaica and he went on to represent his their homeland all over the world, winning bronze at the Central American and Caribbean Games and competing in the Pan-American Games and the Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

Young grew up in Southwark and learned to box at the famous Fitzroy Lodge. He decided to pursue a professional career in the US after the death of Fitzroy Lodge coach Mick Carney in 2011.

"It hit me hard," said Young. "Mick wasn't just my coach, he was my mentor and was always there for me. I was very emotional and decided I had to get out of England."

Young's record was dented by a six-round draw with Yuwshua Zadok in October last year, but he's convinced he deserved the decision after ending the fight needing six stitches from a headbutt. That left him angry, and he decided to come home.

"All the travelling has made me grow up so much. I've been by myself and it's been hard. It feels like I'm home now, I do miss the sun, but I'm glad to be back in London again."

Young is now living in Lewisham, and is training with Paul Dogboe and strength coach Lawrence Farncombe at Miguel's Gym in Brixton, having signed a promotional deal with Mickey Helliet's Hellraiser Promotions.

The 25 year old said: "It's time to get busy again. I want to get up the rankings as quickly as possible and start collecting titles.

"Early in my career, I didn't understand the commitment needed, but now I do, and have the right team around me, the possibilities are endless.

"I’m a very hungry fighter and I’ve never felt more excited about my career than I do right now. I can’t wait to fight in front of my friends and the London fight fans."

Tickets for the August 3rd show at the Camden Centre are available from 07808-805994.

More...