Jump to content

Luke Campbell off to a quick start - Hull undercard results


Recommended Posts

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/0/0f/LUKE_CAMPBELL350S.jpgLuke Campbell's homecoming at the Craven Park Stadium lasted just 88 seconds. The Olympic Gold medallist quickly dismantled his first professional challenge, Gloucester southpaw Andy Harris (2-6), and will be kept busy by promoters Matchroom as he makes his mark on the domestic scene.

A well timed right hand to the side of the head caught the usually durable Harris (9st 9lbs 3oz) off balance and sent him down for the first count just thirty seconds into the contest. As Campbell (9st 8lbs 11oz) followed up, Harris went down again for another count.

Campbell quickly backed Harris into the corner and unloaded with fast, accurate hands, causing referee Howard Foster to rightly step in at 1.28. Harris had not fully recovered from the first knockdown, and didn't protest.

Campbell's Dancing on Ice mentor, Jayne Torvill OBE, applauded the Hull fighter's work from ringside. The 25 year old said after the fight: "Having my first professional fight, outdoors, in my home town at a packed-out stadium and winning by stoppage in the first round, what more could you ask for?"

His next fight will be on September 7 in Glasgow, on the undercard of Ricky Burns' WBO world title defence against Mexican Raymundo Beltran.

Campbell had a card full of talent backing up his professional debut (click here for Kell Brook, Lee Selby and Derry Mathews fight reports).

In his third pro contest, Olympic Bronze medallist Anthony Ogogo (3-0) stopped Shepperton's Gary Boulden (7-10) in the fifth round. Boulden (11st 6lbs) was lively as usual, and a good test for Ogogo (11st 5lbs 3oz) at this stage. Despite resistance, Ogogo went through the gears and gave a referee Howard John Foster good reason to wave it off at half a minute into the fifth with Boulden taking too many clean shots.

Driffield's Curtis Woodhouse (18-5) was in no mood for extra time at the Craven Park Stadium either. The troll hunting former footballer, 33, is competing nearer lightweight and made short work of Moroccan Machine Joe Elfidh (7-4) flooring him in the first and second sessions before a stoppage at 2.10 of the third.

Woodhouse has his heart set on a British title, but will find the going a lot tougher in a lightweight division packed with talent. Hull's Tommy Coyle, who put in a splendid performance before being stopped by Derry Mathews in the tenth, would be a great match-up.

Also on the card, Liverpool super middleweight Rocky Fielding (15-0) kept busy, outpointing Sunbury's Darren McKenna (2-9-1) over four rounds. Stretching the legs before his British title fight with Billy Joe Saunders in September, Islington's John Ryder (15-0) notched up a quick win against Frenchman Yoann Bloyer (16-21-2), who was stopped 45 seconds into the second session.

The Craven Park Stadium bill also saw first the professional blip for local lightweight Joel Haigh (7-0-1) who recorded an even points draw with tricky Dewsbury journeyman Youssef Al Hamidi (12-56-3). Pontefract's Zak Collins (7-0-1) stopped Surrey's Ross Payne (3-9) in the fourth and final session.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...