Carl Froch has no plans to vacate - Groves expected as next opponent

boxrec

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/d/d3/Frochrelaxing.jpgAfter official comfirmation of the heavyweight matchup between David Haye and Tyson Fury came last week, fans can expect firm news soon of another huge domestic clash between IBF champion Carl 'The Cobra' Froch and Hammersmith's 'Saint' George Groves.

When announced, the fight will, in all probability, head up Sky Boxing's third pay per view event since the broadcaster briefly abandoned the platform in 2011 after David Haye's disappointing performance against Wladimir Klitschko.

Former British champion Groves was made mandatory challenger to Froch by the IBF earlier this month. Agreement was supposed to have been reached by Friday July 12, but it is understood that Matchroom, which promotes both Froch and Groves, was granted an extension to conclude negotiations.

Carl Froch told Sky Sports News: "He's mandatory for the IBF by default because Lucian Bute is injured, and I think (Edwin) Rodriguez and (Brandon) Gonzalez were fighting for the number two spot, this is what Eddie (Hearn, promoter) is telling me anyway.

Groves last fought on the undercard of Froch's win over Mikkell Kessler back in May, stopping Uruguay's Noe Gonzalez Alcoba in the fifth round for a minor WBA bauble.

Froch continued: "I've not been officially asked to vacate the title but I've been made aware of the situation that Groves is mandatory and I'm not in a position where I want to give a belt up.

"I took that belt off an unbeaten fighter so I'm not going to just give that belt away, unless there's a good option for me and a good road for me to go down.

"I'm in this game because I love it and I'll fight anybody, including George Groves."

More...