What is it with Eastern European Cruiserweights?

Yesterday evening saw Dmytro Kucher (21-1, 15) suffering his first loss thanks to Ilunga Makabu (14-1, 13). Kucher, of Ukraine, was just the latest in an ever growing list of Cruiserweight's from Eastern Europe to suffer defeat in the last 12 months.

Just last month Kucher's compatriot Iago Kiladze (20-1, 13) was stopped in 2 rounds by Youri Kayembre Kalenga (16-0, 10), who incidentally is from Congo like Makabu.

Last month also saw a defeat for Russian Rakhim Chakhkiev (16-1, 12) an Olympic Gold medal winner who was beaten in a WBC title challenger against Krzysztof Wlodarczyk (48-2-1, 34). This bout saw Chakhkiev crumble in the middle rounds despite having taken a solid lead on the cards in the early rounds.

In May Denis Lebedev (25-2, 19) was stopped by Panamanian veteran Guillermo Jones (39-3-2, 31) who despite being 41 still had enough to defeat Lebedev and bad swell up both of his eyes.

It's not just been big names but also low level fighters Vugar Cavadov (of Azerbaijan), Aliaksei Marchenka (of Belarus) who has lost his last 2, Gogita Gorgiladze (of Georgia) who has lost twice this year including a stoppage to Makabu and if you include Kazakhstan Isa Akberbayev who was KO'd in America by Anthony Ferrante.

Are the Eastern European Cruiserweights becoming as big of a joke as the British Horizontal Heavyweights?

Re: What is it with Eastern European Cruiserweights?

Poland is often considered as part of "central" Europe not Eastern Europe.

I think Serbia is also on the borderline between central and eastern Europe, correct? So Marco Huck isn't far enough East either.

There were several Eastern European CW's in the past that fell into the category your talking and got stopped. Visaly Jirov of Kazakhstan getting stopped by Toney, and going way back, Slobadan Kacar was a eastern European CW who briefly held one of the alphabet belts before getting stopped by the average-hitting Bobby Czyz. When Angelo Dundee was in semi-retirement in the ninties, I recall he had a few Eastern European Cruisers that worked out of his Miami homebase. I remember it was always the same when you'd see him bring one onto TV. There would be a point where they'd acknowledge Angie being in the corner which would draw applause........and his 190-pounder would go out and not exactly emulate Basilio, Ali, or Leonard. Good thing Angie legacy had already been established, because every one of those guys looked less impressive than the one before :laugh: I think he was in love with their work ethic and had a soft spot for their having been under the communist system. If they could find a way to Miami and support themselves, he'd work with them, and be there to make them up when the fight was over :laugh:

Coincidental, really. Or bad luck?

The only man to have some luck is Diablo Wlodarczyk, he showed his true ways ans championship mentality to defeat Chak.

Makabu-Kutcher was GOOD! Very good fight. I think both can rise up through the top 20 at 168. With limits, of course.

I think Serbia is also on the borderline between central and eastern Europe, correct? So Marco Huck isn't far enough East either.

There were several Eastern European CW's in the past that fell into the category your talking and got stopped. Visaly Jirov of Kazakhstan getting stopped by Toney, and going way back, Slobadan Kacar was a eastern European CW who briefly held one of the alphabet belts before getting stopped by the average-hitting Bobby Czyz. When Angelo Dundee was in semi-retirement in the ninties, I recall he had a few Eastern European Cruisers that worked out of his Miami homebase. I remember it was always the same when you'd see him bring one onto TV. There would be a point where they'd acknowledge Angie being in the corner which would draw applause........and his 190-pounder would go out and not exactly emulate Basilio, Ali, or Leonard. Good thing Angie legacy had already been established, because every one of those guys looked less impressive than the one before :laugh: I think he was in love with their work ethic and had a soft spot for their having been under the communist system. If they could find a way to Miami and support themselves, he'd work with them, and be there to make them up when the fight was over :laugh:

He was a lightheavy and he was in fact from Bosnia. ;) Born not too far from where I was born.

He was a lightheavy and he was in fact from Bosnia. ;) Born not too far from where I was born.

Thanks, I guess he was a LH, it's been a long time. Just remember him fighting for Dundee, briefly holding a title, and losing it to Czyz.

Thanks, I guess he was a LH, it's been a long time. Just remember him fighting for Dundee, briefly holding a title, and losing it to Czyz.

Yea, I read an interview with him where he said that Czyz fight shoulda been held about six months earlier but it got postponed and he was in better shape when it was first supposed to be than later than when it was...excuses? Maybe, but he really looked poor against Czyz, don't think that was the best he coulda done.