Abner Mares to take on Jhonny Gonzalez

RINGNEWS24

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/f52793a3cf60c8f1dd915eef76962d02_S.jpg

On the verge of becoming boxing's next superstar, Three-Time, Three-Division World Champion and current WBC Featherweight World Champion Abner Mares has remarkably won three divisional world titles in less than two years.

More...

Re: Abner Mares to take on Jhonny Gonzalez

He's been given more than a helping hand on the way to those titles an gets away with absolute murder in the ring.

He's not on the verge of becoming boxing's next superstar, because he simply isn't good enough.

If he was good enough, he wouldn't have to use illegal and dirty tactics to scrape wins in a couple of fights I thought he already lost.

Gonzalez is good, but I would say he's past his best. Whether he's the man to finally knock Mares off his artificial perch is up for debate, but it's only a matter of time before someone takes him out.

He's been given more than a helping hand on the way to those titles an gets away with absolute murder in the ring.

He's not on the verge of becoming boxing's next superstar, because he simply isn't good enough.

If he was good enough, he wouldn't have to use illegal and dirty tactics to scrape wins in a couple of fights I thought he already lost.

Gonzalez is good, but I would say he's past his best. Whether he's the man to finally knock Mares off his artificial perch is up for debate, but it's only a matter of time before someone takes him out.

Brawler-

I have to disagree that he's not talented, I think it's just naturally part of his game to bend-the-rules. In the fights in question, it wasn't like he suddenly switched from fighting clean to dirty tactics, he was stretching things from the opening bell before he ever really knew that he'd have to. For example, in the first Agbeko fight, he was pushing Ref Russell Mora to the limit even early in the fight with the borderline blows after he's scored the first round knockdown and was ahead. He takes what the Ref gives him and then some, but who's to blame if said Ref can't corral him in?

I never said he's not talented, I just said he's not good enough to become "boxing's next superstar".

I'm maybe being hard on the guy, but having seen many times where the officials have been far too biased in his favour, I find it difficult to be a fan.

I also haven't seen too much to get excited by, certainly to the extent that HBO bill him up as for example.

He does have talent, but not as much as he thinks he does, and not as much as the hype that goes with him.

Mares is a dirty sumbitch and he already got 2 losses in reality. Another thing is that he's a Mexican and therefore immune in Vegas, immune to losing by any other way than ko. And Moreno fought above his best weight limit. Mares may be talented, he is, but he's not as talented as many are making him out to be at the moment. And I SINCERELY HOPE Jhonny G can do something to change that. Go Jhonny!:boxing:

I think he's a bit like Ward in the fact that I understand why people aren't fans of him, but he faces top fighters time after time and comes out on top. His victory over Moreno was excellent and his job on DPDL was fantastic.

I used to be a huge fan but have mellowed on him a bit, starting around the time of the Agbecko fight when I thought he got a bit of a gift from Ref Mora, but I like that he's taking on top competition all the time, and he really has had some P4P worthy victorys like that against Moreno that you mention. I enjoy watching him fight, but unlike with Ward, I guess I can understand why he's got the critics he does......but then being disliked isn't necessarily a bad thing, people tune in when he fights and he gets good ratings.