Jump to content

Brook answers his critics in style by trouncing Jones


Recommended Posts

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/thumb/d/d6/KELL_BROOK_speed_ball.jpg/729px-KELL_BROOK_speed_ball.jpgKell Brook answered his critics in style by registering a resounding stoppage victory over American Carson Jones in the open air at Craven Park stadium in Hull last night. Jones provided Brook with the sternest examination of his career twelve months ago, busting the unbeaten Sheffield stylist’s nose late on which left Brook hanging on to grind out a majority points victory. This rematch was more one-sided after Brook forced Jones to touch down twice, before the visitor was rescued on his feet after 1:07 of round eight.

Both fighters looked in superb condition despite agreeing to box this rematch over a scheduled ten rounds at a catchweight limit of 10st 12, five pounds over the welterweight championship limit. The opening round was sedate as Jones (10st 11 ¾ lbs) failed to back up his pre-fight boasts to put it on Brook (10st 11 lbs) from the start after he left it too late in their previous meeting.


The contest sprang to life though in round two as Brook pressed forward and clattered Jones with a series of pinpoint right hands after establishing a stiff jab. More good work from Brook, this time a classy uppercut, visibly shook Jones who elected to take a knee after he shipped more punishment. This was Brook at his best, quick, sharp and accurate as he seldom wasted a punch which left Jones bewildered.


Jones managed to weather the storm but the American copped for more of the same in round three, barely mounting any offensive replies as Brook continued to rattle him with hurtful rights. It’s hard to remember Jones being shaken at all during their first encounter but this time the man from Oklahoma looked ready to go whenever he was nailed cleanly. Kell knew it, too, as he followed Jones back to his corner and uncharacteristically goaded him at the end of another dominant session.


Kell took his foot off the gas in round four which coincided with Jones’s best spell. The American worked his way inside and backed Brook to the ropes, catching the Sheffield fighter flush with a right hand. Brook returned to his stool with blood seeping from his nose as a hint of doubt began to set in for the first time. Both men enjoyed successes in the fifth, and although Brook was in a handy lead, the fight was much more competitive now which seemed unlikely two rounds earlier.


Brook can be too one-paced, and if you can knock him out of his smooth rhythm and box with intensity, he suddenly starts to make mistakes and look uncomfortable. For a short spell in this rematch Jones reminded everyone why he gave Brook such an uncomfortable night’s work when they last shared a ring. Jones’ problem however was that he wasn’t able to keep Brook under sustained pressure and this, combined with his defensive flaws, was food and drink to Kell who gradually picked his opponent apart.


After a difficult spell Brook found his groove again and re-established his jab and jolted Jones with trademark uppercuts in the seventh. Having succeeded in placing Jones on the back foot Brook was now firmly in the ascendency. The ending when it came, somewhat prematurely, a minute into round eight was a surprise. A stiff right which buckled Jones’ legs led to Brook landing a succession of around 15 unanswered blows and although Kell’s last punch in his assault missed, referee Michael Alexander saw fit to intervene much to Jones’ annoyance.


Did Jones have a right to protest? Yes, for me. He was clearly hurt and under heavy fire, but the American remained upright and was looking right at Brook when Alexander stepped in. Had it been the other way round Alexander’s compassionate stoppage may have been viewed differently. There was little doubt though that Brook was firmly in control and Jones ultimately paid the price for not throwing back.


With this crucial win Brook moves to 30-0 (20). The 27-year-old can now move forward once more after a nightmare injury spell which led to his world title bid against Devon Alexander being aborted after Kell sustained injuries to his ankle and a stress fracture to his right foot. As David Price proved last week, rematches do not always go to plan. In stark contrast to Price, Brook looked as good as ever and largely dominated a fighter who gave him all he could handle a year ago.


Afterwards promoter Eddie Hearn stated that he would be making ‘a big announcement’ next week as to the identity of Brook’s next opponent in September and hinted at a marquee name. The smart money could be on Vyacheslav Senchenko, who hasn’t fought since bringing down the curtain on Ricky Hatton’s career last November. Other possibilities could be veterans Shane Mosley and Randall Bailey or Andre Berto. Whoever it is, Brook will start supremely confident as he looks to seal another world title crack.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...