Mathews plans to take 'mouthy kid' Coyle out of his comfort zone

boxrec

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/6/65/Derry_Mathews.jpgScouser 'Dirty' Derry Mathews (32-8-2) is looking forward to tomorrow night's Commonwealth title fight with local boxer Tommy Coyle (15-1), and insists that experience will count for everything when the pair get in the ring.

The lightweights clash at the Craven Park Stadium, Hull on the undercard of Luke Campbell's pro debut. Some needle has crept into the match, with Coyle vocal about Mathews chances on Twitter, but the Liverpudlian reckons that Coyle had quietened down by Wednesday’s media day, and sees this as a sign that the local fighter is starting to realise how serious the challenge is.

Speaking to Phil Kirkbride of the Liverpool Echo, Mathews, 29, said: “Maybe he now knows that he is in deep waters. I went there expecting a hostile reception but we got a bit of a shock. I think he got a shock that I turned up in the first place.

“He’s always been one of those mouthy kids who thinks he is better than he actually is. He’s called out all sorts of fighters.

“I’m going to knock all of that out of him tomorrow night. The kid has a future in boxing but this has come too soon for him. He is confident and cocky but he has never been in a big fight before and even though this fight is in his hometown and in front of all his fans, I am going to take him out of his comfort zone.

“He is going to realise that fighting at British Masters title level and fighting at my level are completely different.”

Mathews relishes the chance to take on a rival in his hometown:

“I love fighting in my opponent’s backyard. Everyone knows what happened in Oldham the night I faced Anthony Crolla.

“But I won’t be hanging around after the fight. Once I’ve destroyed Tommy Coyle I’m getting that Commonwealth Belt and getting on the bus back to Liverpool with my supporters.”

More...