Golovkin targets Mayweather, but would Mayweather want him?

RINGNEWS24

http://ringnews24.com/media/k2/items/cache/a4315529bdfd18d066cb2fe8c7564158_S.jpg

Two days after Gennady Golovkin's destruction of Matthew Macklin in the US, fight fans across the world are already putting up their fight wish lists of who they want to see Golovkin in next with or in the near future. It should not be a surprise that the top of the list is Floyd Mayweather Jr. Golovkin ended British fighter Macklin's dreams in the third round with a lethal left blow to the body that sent Macklin down and cowering as if he had been hit by a Magnum. This is the same Matthew Macklin that gave Sergio Martinez a fair bit of trouble last year when he managed to put him on the canvas but was eventually outgunned in the eleventh.

More...

Re: Golovkin targets Mayweather, but would Mayweather want him?

I've always said I didn't see anyone below heavyweight who I thought could beat Mayweather, but Golovkin could be that man.

That's a bit premature, isn't it? I know he looked sensational against Macklin but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's yet to be tested.

That's a bit premature, isn't it? I know he looked sensational against Macklin but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's yet to be tested.

I didn't say "is that man", I said could be - I'm awaiting further evidence.

I'm not basing it on Macklin, Macklin was a nothing fight for me - the way he punches, I just don't see Mayweather being able to keep him off for 12 rounds. I imagine I'd have said the same about Julian Jackson or the G-Man if they were fighting today. If you've got that kind of power and you can get into position to land, you're gonna terrorise pretty much anybody.

I didn't say "is that man", I said could be - I'm awaiting further evidence.

I'm not basing it on Macklin, Macklin was a nothing fight for me - the way he punches, I just don't see Mayweather being able to keep him off for 12 rounds. I imagine I'd have said the same about Julian Jackson or the G-Man if they were fighting today. If you've got that kind of power and you can get into position to land, you're gonna terrorise pretty much anybody.

I think Canelo might be that man...hope so anyway.

Canelo, though much improved, is nowhere near good enough to beat Floyd in my opinion - he possibly could be in a couple of years, but he's not busy enough, doesn't have the ringcraft and probably doesn;t even have the power.

Mayweather would (quite rightly) have no piece of Golovkin.

1. He's too big.

2. He's too powerful.

By and large he has stayed away from big punchers throughout his career, but he's by no means a big 154lb'er and it susprised me enough that he's facing Alvarez, let alone someone like Golovkin who would just as comfortably hit 168lbs.

It may be one thing to beat Macklin and another entirely to beat Floyd, but I think Golovkin is all wrong for Floyd and it would be silly to try and talk up a fight with the size and power difference between the two.

They're just not quite close enough in size to make the fight happen.

By and large he has stayed away from big punchers throughout his career.

Is that fair, would you say? Corrales, Castillo, Hatton could punch a bit, Cotto, Ortiz, De La Hoya(maybe...ish?), Judah...ish, Mosley(I know but it still sort of counts) - they're not monster punchers but they all packed a good wallop.

I think Canelo might be that man...hope so anyway.

I just watched the Trout fight and I now give Alvarez virtually no chance. He gassed plenty in that fight and as early as the sixth round. Floyd will be scoring plenty in the second half. It might be an exciting start though.

Is that fair, would you say? Corrales, Castillo, Hatton could punch a bit, Cotto, Ortiz, De La Hoya(maybe...ish?), Judah...ish, Mosley(I know but it still sort of counts) - they're not monster punchers but they all packed a good wallop.

That probably emphasises my point if that's the best we can come up with and have to put caveats after every fighter on the list :mlol:

Corrales, maybe Judah at a push I would call decent punchers.

There are not very many who are/were knocking out guys right, left and centre, and as he has gone through quite a few weight divisions, there was ample opportunity to fight guys who were.

I'm not saying the guys who could were better fighters, but they were the sort who could catch him with a single punch and end the fight and he stayed well clear.

I just watched the Trout fight and I now give Alvarez virtually no chance. He gassed plenty in that fight and as early as the sixth round. Floyd will be scoring plenty in the second half. It might be an exciting start though.

--- Lay off the beans and you'll see Canelo in a different light.

The Trout fight was completely unexciting except for technical details that get lost in scoring and evaluations. The Guererro fight could've have been exciting after a worse start when Floydy opened up in the 7th, but Guerrero adjusted to the sudden turn of events that saw Floydy fighting, and that was it, rounds 7-8, a legit fight, but 1-6 and 9-12 consisting of Floydy running a Mr. Chickenman sprintfest.

The fighters who have troubled Mayweather are the fighters who are as quick as him.

Judah is the case in point. He gave Mayweather hell until his mind wandered off and Mayweather beat him up. Ive only ever seen two fighters almost get Mayweather in the trenches, where Golvkin would need to take it in order to land, and that was Cotto & Castillo.

Golovkin, for all his talent (and hes clearly got a lot) isnt quick enough to trouble Mayweather.

I know people talk about size, and its the often quoted reasoning behind Canelo being given a chance (albeit a very remote one in my eyes at least) but the higher you go the slower they are. Truthfully, unless someone is lucky enough to pull off that single punch KO, the higher the weight class the easier Mayweather would likely find it.

The fighters who have troubled Mayweather are the fighters who are as quick as him.

Judah is the case in point. He gave Mayweather hell until his mind wandered off and Mayweather beat him up. Ive only ever seen two fighters almost get Mayweather in the trenches, where Golvkin would need to take it in order to land, and that was Cotto & Castillo.

Golovkin, for all his talent (and hes clearly got a lot) isnt quick enough to trouble Mayweather.

I know people talk about size, and its the often quoted reasoning behind Canelo being given a chance (albeit a very remote one in my eyes at least) but the higher you go the slower they are. Truthfully, unless someone is lucky enough to pull off that single punch KO, the higher the weight class the easier Mayweather would likely find it.

I agree with what you're saying, but surely the reverse is also true - when you ARE knocking out almost every opponent your own size and bigger, it would surely be logical to think he was capable of knocking out a smaller guy, regardless of speed?

To take it to the extreme, who would you pick in a flyweight vs heavyweight contest?

The guy throwing 150 punches per round that tickle his opponent, or the guy who throws 30, all of which will cause significant damage?

A flyweight can run and will have the stamina, movement and speed to get in and out to make scoring blows, but given it was noted how Golovkin cuts down the ring for people who try to run, would Floyd be able to do it for 12 rounds without being severely tested? I'm not so sure he would...

Floyd also doesn't win his fights with movement and a good defence...his main defence tactic is to use the shoulder roll (basically standing in front of the opponent and leaning back to take shots on his shoulder and arm instead of his face and body). Imo, those are the worst tactics to use against a guy with a reach advantage and who has the power to make one shot count.

He then relies on reflexes, which I would say have notably slowed at this stage.

--- Lay off the beans and you'll see Canelo in a different light.

The Trout fight was completely unexciting except for technical details that get lost in scoring and evaluations. The Guererro fight could've have been exciting after a worse start when Floydy opened up in the 7th, but Guerrero adjusted to the sudden turn of events that saw Floydy fighting, and that was it, rounds 7-8, a legit fight, but 1-6 and 9-12 consisting of Floydy running a Mr. Chickenman sprintfest.

We all know how desperate you are to see Floyd lose but that's not happening come September, period. Cinamon doesn't have the stamina. Once the 6th round comes it'll be just as easy as the Guerrero fight.

Mayweather wants Golovkin in the same way the rest of us want to be anally abused by Big Bubba

He happens to be a surprisingly gentle and compassionate man!

...that's Big Bubba, obviously, not Mayweather. Even my flights of fancy have some contact with reality.

We all know how desperate you are to see Floyd lose but that's not happening come September, period. Cinamon doesn't have the stamina. Once the 6th round comes it'll be just as easy as the Guerrero fight.

--- Lessee, going back to his last 6 fights, that takes you to 2007/Hatton. Sound's like an old man's schedule, 6 fights in 6 years.

Canelo has reeled off some two dozen fights since then as a 17 year old, easily made the distance in every decision. Mosley extended his stamina the most I've ever seen by continuous pressure. He coasted against Trout because of WBC scoring rules revealing he had the decision in the bag. 4 fights every year for 6 years, and just a kid.

We'll see if Floydy runs from a fight again after promising toe to toe against Guerrero. He's skating on thin ice if he goes that route again.

--- Lessee, going back to his last 6 fights, that takes you to 2007/Hatton. Sound's like an old man's schedule, 6 fights in 6 years.

Canelo has reeled off some two dozen fights since then as a 17 year old, easily made the distance in every decision. Mosley extended his stamina the most I've ever seen by continuous pressure. He coasted against Trout because of WBC scoring rules revealing he had the decision in the bag. 4 fights every year for 6 years, and just a kid.

We'll see if Floydy runs from a fight again after promising toe to toe against Guerrero. He's skating on thin ice if he goes that route again.

Canelo is a young man at the start of his career, I would hope he is busy(and last year he fought all of twice), indeed Alvarez has been the terror of the light-welterweight division.

On the other hand, when Mayweather was 20 and 21 in 1997, 1998, he was fighting 6, 7, 8 times a year.