How Curtis Cokes became The Greatest Boxer in the Dallas' History

World championship boxing returns to Dallas this week!

To get you in the mood, here's a terrific story written by Barry Horn, which ran in today's Dallas Morning News, on Dallas' greatest world champion, Curtis Cokes.

ENJOY! http://dallasne.ws/19bwBZI

Undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) featherweight champion MIKEY GARCIA (31-0, 26 KOs), of Oxnard, Calif., and former WBO junior featherweight and WBO featherweight champion JUAN MANUEL LOPEZ (33-2, 30 KOs), of Caguas, Puerto Rico, will rumble for Garcia's title This Saturday! June 15.

http://ringnews24.com/index.php/history/item/5017-how-curtis-cokes-became-the-greatest-boxer-in-the-dallas-history

Re: How Curtis Cokes became The Greatest Boxer in the Dallas' History

I like Cokes, not just was he a very good fighter but he strikes me as a genuine, nice guy. I remember an interview where they asked him which was his favorite fighter in the 90's and he said De La Hoya. That convinced me that he wasn't one of those guys who always favor their "own kind", if you know what I mean...

A friend of mine was friends with Curtis and he talked about the time when he appeared in the movie Fat City. Curtis was just wrapping up his fighting career and was just starting to dabble with the idea of being a Trainer, but he thought he was going to be a major Hollywood Star just based on the few scenes he had in the movie, he thought he was a natural and going to take the movie industry by storm. Probably good for some of his proteges that he handled later that Hollywood didn't share Curtis' enthusiasm for him screen work ;)

A friend of mine was friends with Curtis and he talked about the time when he appeared in the movie Fat City. Curtis was just wrapping up his fighting career and was just starting to dabble with the idea of being a Trainer, but he thought he was going to be a major Hollywood Star just based on the few scenes he had in the movie, he thought he was a natural and going to take the movie industry by storm. Probably good for some of his proteges that he handled later that Hollywood didn't share Curtis' enthusiasm for him screen work ;)

He was good in that movie but he had too little screen time to make an impact on Hollywood...plus, at that time if you were black and not Poitier or a blaxploitation actor, you were not gonna make it big in Tinseltown.

He was good in that movie but he had too little screen time to make an impact on Hollywood...plus, at that time if you were black and not Poitier or a blaxploitation actor, you were not gonna make it big in Tinseltown.

It's been awhile since I talked to my friend who knew CC about this, but I recall Curtis' role was cut down in editing after it had already been shot.......of course, that's coming from Curtis, who probably saw it as HIS movie and Stacey Keach and Jeff Bridges were extras that happened to have speaking roles :laugh: Anyway, whether or not CC was going to make it as an actor via his skills is neither here or there, the point is that he was kind of expecting to be famous. He saw himself as boxing's version of Jim Brown and he'd be doing it for years.

• 2 years later...

--- Thought spence was from the valley, not Dallas and may be in the process of going full Vegas.

Regardless, Don Curry was an undefeated, p4p type champ, something Curtis never achieved, not to diminish Curtis' fine career and regard within the community.