Floyd Mayweather - Manny Pacquiao In Jeopardy

grapevine241

Floyd Mayweather - Manny Pacquiao In Jeopardy

LOS ANGELES, CA (December 22, 2009) . . . The mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao is now in jeopardy after Golden Boy Promotions, on behalf of Mayweather Promotions, learned today that Manny Pacquiao is refusing to comply with Olympic style drug testing as outlined and mandated by the United States Anti Doping Agency (USADA) and as requested by Mayweather's management to ensure fair play and sportsmanship by both fighters.

Early today Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, was contacted by Top Rank President Todd duBoef, who informed Schaefer that Pacquiao would not agree to have his blood taken within 30-days of the bout based on the fighter's superstition of testing so close to a fight..

Schaefer commented, "Todd told me that Pacquiao has difficulty with taking blood and doesn't want to do it so close to the fight. He, Pacquiao, would only agree to have blood drawn before the kick-off press conference and after the fight."

Olympic style drug testing involves random sampling of the athlete's blood and urine prior to and after the fight. The USADA procedure includes both blood and urine sampling so that all banned substances, some of which do not show up in urine alone, are tested for thoroughly.

"It is unfortunate to hear this from Manny Pacquiao's representatives, particularly since, as of today, both parties had worked out all other issues related to this fight," said Schaefer. "Team Mayweather is certainly surprised that an elite athlete like Manny Pacquiao would refuse drug testing procedures which Floyd has already agreed to and have been agreed to by many other top athletes such as Lance Armstrong, and Olympians Michael Phelps, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant."

Mayweather, who was informed of Pacquiao's reluctance shortly after Schaefer received word of the impasse, feels Pacquiao has to explain himself immediately or be faced with accusations from the media and the public regarding his own status as a clean and drug free athlete.

"I understand Pacquiao not liking having his blood taken, because frankly I don't know anyone who really does," said Mayweather. "But in a fight of this magnitude, I think it is our responsibility to subject ourselves to sportsmanship at the highest level. I have already agreed to the testing and it is a shame that he is not willing to do the same. It leaves me with great doubt as to the level of fairness I would be facing in the ring that night. I hope that this is either some miscommunication or that Manny will change his mind and step up and allow these tests, which were good enough for all these other great athletes, to be performed by USADA."

Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions said, "We hope that Manny will do the right thing and agree to the testing as it is an egregious act to deny the testing and hence, deny the millions of fans the right to see this amazing fight. We just want to make sure there is a level playing field in a sport that is a man-to-man contest that relies on strength and ability. I still hope this decision is coming from someone in Pacquiao's camp and not Manny himself as it would be a shame that an athlete of his stature and who represents his whole country would not be able to show the public or his fellow athletes that he agrees to the highest standards in sports competition."

Source: http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=22324&more=1

oshi-- that doesnt sound good. i dont like to jump at every little detail coming out of fight negotiations but this sounds serious.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drug test procedures being debated

By Dan Rafael

ESPN.com

The Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather welterweight title mega fight, tentatively scheduled for March 13 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, is in jeopardy.

According to Golden Boy Promotions, which is representing Mayweather, Pacquiao refused Tuesday to agree to the Olympic-style drug testing procedures the sides had been negotiating.

Mayweather requested that the drug testing for the fight be in compliance with the United States Anti Doping Agency, which handles drug testing for Olympians, "to ensure fair play and sportsmanship by both fighters."

Olympic style testing is more rigorous than the drug testing performed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and other state commissions. It would involve random blood and urine testing before and after the fight. Nevada commission testing only tests urine for banned substances, once just before the fight and once immediately following the fight.

Floyd Mayweather Sr., the fighter's father, has repeatedly accused Pacquiao of taking illegal substances, even though Pacquiao denies it and he has never failed a drug test.

According to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who is negotiating the deal with Top Rank president Todd duBoef, Pacquiao refuses to have his blood drawn within 30 days of the bout based on his superstition of testing so close to a fight.

"Todd told me that Pacquiao has difficulty with taking blood and doesn't want to do it so close to the fight," Schaefer said. "He, Pacquiao, would only agree to have blood drawn before the kick-off press conference and after the fight."

Two weeks ago, Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, told ESPN.com that their side had no problem with Olympic style testing.

"I have no problem with the testing whatsoever," Roach said then. "They can do whatever kind of drug testing they want. They're scared of Manny and scared of his power. He'll pass any test in the world."

Schaefer said he hoped it was simply a "miscommunication" on the Pacquiao side.

"I do hope it is some sort of miscommunication and that Pacquiao is not even aware of what is going on and he will clear this up and say what is good enough for these great Olympic athletes is good enough for him and Floyd, and he agrees to do these drug tests.

"Team Mayweather is very surprised that an elite athlete like Manny Pacquiao would refuse drug testing procedures which Floyd has already agreed to and have been agreed to by many other top athletes. Why would Pacquiao refuse to have the same kind of testing that Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant have had?"

Told of Pacquiao's reluctance to be tested, Mayweather said he should explain himself.

"I understand Pacquiao not liking having his blood taken because, frankly, I don't know anyone who really does," Mayweather said in a statement. "But in a fight of this magnitude, I think it is our responsibility to subject ourselves to sportsmanship at the highest level. I have already agreed to the testing and it is a shame that he is not willing to do the same. It leaves me with great doubt as to the level of fairness I would be facing in the ring that night.

"I hope that this is either some miscommunication or that Manny will change his mind and step up and allow these tests, which were good enough for all these other great athletes, to be performed by USADA."

Said Leonard Ellerbe, a Mayweather adviser, in a statement, "We hope that Manny will do the right thing and agree to the testing as it is an egregious act to deny the testing and hence, deny the millions of fans the right to see this amazing fight. We just want to make sure there is a level playing field in a sport that is a man-to-man contest that relies on strength and ability.

"I still hope this decision is coming from someone in Pacquiao's camp and not Manny himself as it would be a shame that an athlete of his stature and who represents his whole country would not be able to show the public or his fellow athletes that he agrees to the highest standards in sports competition."

Top Rank spokesman Lee Samuels said the company declined to comment.

Schaefer said he and duBoef had "worked out all other issues related to the fight," disclosing to ESPN.com that the fight would be at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, if they can work out the drug testing issue.

"We have agreed on all terms, including the site," Schaefer said.

The MGM Grand beat out several other interested venues, including Dallas Cowboys Stadium. Team owner Jerry Jones had offered a $25 million site fee, the largest in boxing history, but the promoters took an offer from the MGM Grand, whose terms have not been disclosed.

In addition, Schaefer told ESPN.com that the sides had agreed on an unprecedented penalty if either fighter weighed in heavier than the contract limit of 147 pounds.

"We agreed to $10 million per pound, or fraction thereof," Schaefer said. "That's what the Pacquiao side wanted and we said OK to that. That's unheard of. We have agreed on everything except for this drug testing issue. I have to think Pacquiao is unaware of this. The drug testing had been part of the contract for awhile and then they suddenly said no. I was informed of that (Tuesday) morning. Suddenly they changed course and I don't know why."

Pacquiao wanted a huge monetary penalty if Mayweather was overweight because he ignored the contract limit of 144 pounds for his September fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, coming in at 146 pounds and paying a $600,000 penalty for the extra advantage.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4766171

some more info ^^

How so ???

This is beyond what is neccessary by the Nevada State Commision. If he decided against blood testing then he would still be well within the rules as the fight is being fought in Las Vegas.

Never has Pacman or Mayweather asked for blood testing before so why start now? Just because his dad points the finger without any evidence ?!?!

Pacman isnt breaking any rules and this aint the Olympics. If the fight doesnt happen so be it.

Too add he has agreed to blood testing right after the fight just not 30 days before. If he is taking something illegal that the blood tests will detect then he would never have agreed to do blood testing at all.

Jian give me 2 good reasons, why Manny would refuse a blood test if he does not have nothing to hide! Roach mentioned about not wanting his boxers being tested before a fight, it's all strange man, a blood test will have no effect whatsoever, there is more to this.

I can give you more than 2 reasons but I only need to give you one major one to make my point.

That is that the NEVADA state commision does not require blood testing to be performed. The fight is in Las Vegas and Manny Pacquiao is accountable to that body and NOT Floyd Mayweather. No other fighter is required to conduct blood testing so why should he. This crap about being a big fight therefore testing beyond necessaity is required is BS, when ODLH fought Mayweather they didnt do it and any other big fight in Las Vegas for that matter.

The only reason this conversation is happening is because Mayweather Sr. made accusations without any evidence. Pacman is innocent until proven guilty and so far his done everything required of him and that includes testing negative to any PEDs.

Out of courtesy I will provide a Second reason and that is that Major sporting Physicians are saying that urine analysis will detect everything that blood testing will detect in particularly steriods and HGH. If Pacman is taking something that cant be detected by urine analysis then blood testing aint going to find it. Hence the reason Nevada dont use blood testing which happens to be where all the major fights are held. Chavez Jr. was just recently caught using a banned substance through urine tests.

Andre can you give me ONE good reason why Pacman should need to do blood testing ??

I totally agree with you there. His making up his own rules now.

In my opinion if the fight is over so be it. I'm already coming to terms with it now.

Honestly I think Mayweather was favourite coming into this fight, but the fact that this fight is not going to happen doesnt do well for his reputation. His claims of being the greatest fighter of all time is now even more ridiculous.

Not meaning to offend the British but if he decides to go fight Matthew Hatton then he really is a cherry picker. I wouldnt roll out of bed to watch that fight free to air.

Winner of Mosely Vs Berto is a good fight for him. I like Berto but I'm hoping Mosely whoops his ass so that it sets up a mega fight with Mayweather. If Mayweather steps up to make that fight happen he would redeem himself and in my eyes would do alot to quell the rumours that he runs away from the best competition.

as ive said

As ive said before i cant see this fight happening,Mayweather wont want to risk his 0 even though he is an odds on chance.

But he wont want to lose face so he will put in more demands till Pacquaio says enough is enough.

More demands to follow from Mayweather,the weight,size of gloves,length of shorts,colour of boots,his choice of music for both boxers on the ring walk,what hotel manny stops in,and manny has to eat a bowl of kellogs cruncy nut cornflakes between every round.

MAYWEATHERS RUNNING THAT FAST AT THE MOMENT HE WOULD BEAT USAIN BOLT lol// mlol/

freddie roache interview

Ive just seen the freddie roache interview on this matter and he is fuming.He explained that Mayweather wanted to bring his own drug testing team payed by mayweather himself which meant they could take upto 30 urine tests as well as blood tests whenever they liked.This meant they could wake him up in the middle of the night for tests even the day before the fight( if anybody agreed to that they must be mad ).Roache then went on to say that they have not disagreed to have blood tests but they would only go by the official boxing rules by their official people.He then went on to say enough is enough we arnt listening to anymore of Mayweathers demands if he wants to figt us he knows where we are.

NEWSFLASH- mayweather has added another demand he wants on the contract,he wants to pick the two judges ringside ( his uncle,and promoter) and he will also do one of the scoring as he knows the outcome of the fight already mlol/

As of now, the proposed March 13 super fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather is off due to the much publicized impasse over random prefight blood testing. Top Rank has now made an offer to former world champion Paulie Malignaggi, who confirmed the offer with Marc Lichtenfeld of the popular “Through The Ropes” radio show.

I can't believe paulie malignaggi is the opponent of choice. His good but his far from great and just runs his mouth the whole time. Even if Pacman wins all his gonna do is accuse Pacman of Steroids use.

I think the only figt worth Persuing is a fight with either Marquez or Bradley. Problem is GBP and Gary Shaw have also come out and declared that the same procedure of blood testing from USADA would have to be in place.

I can't believe the number of ppl that have been led to suspect steroids use over comments made by Mayweather Sr. Why him? His not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

What's even more ridiculous are comments recently made by ODLH. His come out accusing Pacman of potential steroids use. His mentioned that Pacmans punches are similar to Mosely and Vargas even tho leading up to the Hatton figt he said that Pacmans punches don't hurt. What's even more contradictory is the fact that his joint partner Sugar Shane was caught with steroids use and I don't think his under going any blood testing either. That man is he king of spin and just talks a whole lot of shit. I guess being dehydrated isn't going to be the main reason he lost now.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2009-12-25-goldenboybloodtests_N.htm

Refer to the above link. Essentially it's an article refering to a potential fight between Judah and Mosley. Judah requested blood testing beyond the requirement of the Nevada State Commision and Schafer from GBP rejected it saying that Nevada is the only body they need to abide too. Apparently Mosely doesn't need to be treated like a cheat even though he did admited to taking steroids.

This is what I'm talking about. Hypocrites. If it's not required of Mosley then why Pacman who actually has never tested positive.

Pacquiao to sue Mayweather

Pacman wants to clear his name Saying that his character and person has been questioned, maligned, damaged and tarnished by baseless and false accusations, pound-for-pound boxing king Manny Pacquiao and promoter Top Rank Inc. announced today the filing of a lawsuit within the next few days against the Mayweathers, Floyd Sr. and Jr., et al, and Golden Boy Promotions. “Enough is enough. These people, Mayweather Sr., Jr., and Golden Boy Promotions, think it is a joke and a right to accuse someone wrongly of using steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs. I have tried to just brush it off as a mere pre-fight ploy but I think they have gone overboard,” said Pacquiao in Tagalog while celebrating Christmas with his family here in Sarangani, Philippines.

“I have instructed my promoter, Bob Arum, head of Top Rank Inc., to help me out in the filing of the case as soon as possible because I have had people coming over to me now asking if I really take performance-enhancing drugs and I have cheated my way into becoming the No. 1 boxer in the world,” said Pacquiao.

Libel, slander and defamation suits are being readied against the accused to once and for all clear out Pacquiao’s good name and character.

This week, Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotions came out with a press release threatening to put a stop to the projected biggest fight in boxing history between the two top pound-for-pound fighters in the world, by asking too many unrealistic and unprecedented items on the bargaining table, including that of an Olympic-style drug testing.

“I maintain and assure everyone that I have not used any form or kind of steroids and that my way to the top is a result of hard work, hard work, hard work and a lot of blood spilled from my past battles in the ring, not outside of it,” added the Filipino champion who just turned 31 a week ago. “I have no idea what steroids look like and my fear in God has kept me safe and victorious through all these years.”

“Now, I say to Floyd Mayweather Jr., don’t be a coward and face me in the ring, mano-a-mano and shut your big, pretty mouth, so we can show the world who is the true king of the ring,” said Pacquiao, who has been contemplating on filing a case against Mayweather Sr. even before the start of his Nov. 14 fight with Miguel Angel Cotto. “I did not sue because I did not want to get distracted during that time because I was preparing for one of the toughest fights in my career.”

“Pretty Boy Floyd, face me instead on March 13 in Las Vegas and not in some talk show forum or in press releases written for you by people who don’t even know me. Face me in a fight where I get to punch back. You and your cohorts have accused me of using performance-enhancing drugs. Now, I say, the burden of proof should now come from you, not me,” said Pacquiao, the only seven-time, seven-weight division champion in the history of the sport.

Pacquiao said he is not against any form of drug testing mandated by any state athletic sports commission whenever, wherever he fights. He just finds it funny and stupid to change a system that has been set for decades now. Pacquiao undergoes drug testing and other medical examinations before and after every fight over the past 15 years and has never failed any of these tests.

“These people think they are doing the sport a great service. They are not,” added Pacquiao. “To Floyd, despite all these accusations, may your Christmas be merry and I will see you in court, soon, too.”

its all hype and bs, Pacs clean, Mays clean imo. Its ego and control, a dick measuring contest, the ego's in this fight with EVERYONE not just the fighters is mental - pac only has to abide by the state rules, may is just doing it to try to get a upper hand, its all bollocks and part of the mental game.

neither will back down but pac has already agreed to the state stuff and several blood tests.

This time next month the fight will be officially announced and people will be going crazy over tickets

Pacs gonna sue Mayweather lol.. Even in the crazy world of the USofA i cant see them being successfull...

Has Floyd actualy SAID Pac takes Roids???? Nope

Its all getting a little tedious now for my liking. Just make the fight or f**k off and let us concentrate on other fights

By Josh Slagter | The Grand Rapids Press

December 24, 2009, 11:55AM

floyd-mayweather-24.jpgCory Olsen | The Grand Rapids PressFloyd Mayweather has never failed a drug test by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and neither has Manny Pacquiao. But Mayweather's camp wants tougher testing standards for their March 13 fight.The notion of bad blood interfering with the negotiations between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao's representatives wasn't far fetched. Neither camp gets along with the other.

But with Tuesday's announcement from Mayweather's camp that Pacquiao has refused the Olympic-style random drug testing, tensions have reached a new high.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission uses urine tests before and after fights to check for steroids other and performance-enhancing drugs. A blood test is required to earn a one-year license to fight in Nevada, too.

Mayweather's camp is demanding the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency conduct random blood tests during training. Pacqiuao's promoter, Bob Aurm, has said his fighter has agreed to be blood tested three times: in January, 30 days before the fight and then right after the fight.

Travis Tygart, the CEO of USADA, told Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports that both urine and blood tests are needed to determine if a fighter is clean.

"There is no urine-based tested for human-growth hormone," Tygart said. "It doesn’t show up in the urine. It’s only a blood-based test. That’s true of a number of prohibited substances, particularly those that would enhance and aid a boxer.”

Tygert also added the schedule Arum is proposing won't work, because a fighter would have the advantage of knowing when he'd be tested.

“That kind of window is totally unacceptable,” Tygart said. “It would provide a huge loophole for a cheater to step through and get away with cheating.”

Dr. Gary Wadler, an internal medicine physician and chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Prohibited List and Methods sub-committee, supported Tygar's position.

“The fundamental principle is that the time and place of testing is in the domain of the governing body, not of the athlete,” Wadler told Yahoo! Sports. “It would lose all its validity if the athlete could pick and choose when he is going to be tested and for what he’s going to be tested for and how he’s going to be tested. They’re sophisticated enough now that if someone wanted to, you could play the calendar to your advantage."

And to Arum's notion that Pacquaio will feel "weakened" by getting his blood drawn close to the fight? Victor Conte, the founder of Bay-Area Laboratory Cooperative (BALCO), said the tests would have no physical effect on either fighter.

“That amount would be less than one-half of one percent (of the total blood in the body),” Conte told Yahoo! Sports. “It’s not going to have any effect, the drawing of blood. Could it have some mental effect? That’s the only down side of that. It’s certainly not going to have any physical effect, giving blood before a fight.”

The implementation of drug testing remains the only sticking point on negotiations for a fight that could break all of boxing's revenue records.

Will either side blink in time for the fight to happen? It doesn't sound like Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe plans to back off on his demands.

"They're backed up against the wall. Either they're going to step up to the plate and do this, or my guy's not stepping up into the ring and fighting," Ellerbe said on "The Huge Show" on Wednesday. "If you have nothing to hide, why not subject yourself to this testing?"