Bellew Gunning For Cleverly

The_budweiser

Tony Bellew has promised to win the British light-heavyweight title next year.

The "Bomber" is racing up the British rankings and has won eight of his 11 fights by KO.

And next year he is targeting a crack at the British light-heavyweight crown currently held by Nathan Cleverly.

Bellew's last fight was a first round stoppage in Liverpool against Jindrich Velecky, and the big fight atmosphere at the Liverpool Echo Arena has left him eager for more fights on Merseyside.

The 26-year-old's ultimate dream is to win a world title at the home of Everton FC, the club he has supported since he was a boy.

And until Thursday, Bellew was hopeful that any such fight would take place at a proposed new stadium - until it was knocked back by the Government.

"Everton need a new stadium because where else are all the fans going to go when I win a world title?" asked Bellew.

"Seriously, I was gutted when I heard the news yesterday about the stadium getting knocked on the head because it would have been great for the city.

"But I'll put the smile back on people's faces by winning the British title next year.

"Boxing in Liverpool is going places at the moment and I'm looking forward to being at the forefront of a new generation of stars.

"I wear my heart on my sleeve, and people know that when I fight I'm going to give it 100% and go in there looking for a knockout.

"I feel like I have nearly completed my apprenticeship and next year I'll be looking for titles, starting with the British, but I won't be happy until I go all the way to the top."

Bellew appears on the biggest British boxing show of the year on December 5, when he fights in a six rounder on the undercard of Amir Khan's WBA World Light-Welterweight title defence against Dmitriy Salita in Newcastle.

http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=boxing/09/11/27/manual_102126.html