Maccarinelli ready to return

leerhodes

Former world champion Enzo Maccarinelli will return to the ring next month in a bid to reclaim his crown.

The Welshman lost his WBO crusierweight title to David Haye in March 2008 and two further defeats this year mean he has now lost three of his last four fights.

However, Maccarinelli has confirmed he will fight on with his latest comeback taking place on December 5 on the undercard of Amir Khan's world title defence at Newcastle's Metro Arena.

Maccarinelli said: "After my last fight against Denis Lebedev there was talk of me retiring.

"I had a long think about where my career was going, but I've got my hunger back now.

"Being a world champion meant a lot to me and it hurt so much losing my world title.

"There's no way that I'll quit before I win it back, and the plan is to have a couple of warm-up fights before stepping up to championship level in 2010."

He added: "There were a few things that weren't right in the ring against Lebedev and it wasn't a question of me not being good enough, I just didn't fight the right fight.

"But I know that I've still got a lot left to offer and I've been really buzzing in the gym these last few months."

Maccarinelli, 29, still has a formidable 29-4 (22) record and believes he'll be back to his old self in the north east.

"I've had a nightmare 18 months or so, but it's time for a fresh start," he said.

"My mind was getting too cluttered but people are going to be seeing an old-school Enzo up in Newcastle and I'll be back to my knockout best."