Focused Munroe chases world glory

The_budweiser

Rendall Munroe sees Friday's European super-bantamweight title defence against Simone Maludrottu as another step towards his world title dream.

The Leicester binman knows his fifth defence, at Nottingham's Harvey Hadden Sports Centre, is a major test.

Munroe, 29, told BBC East Midlands Today: "This is the big shout.

"Since I started boxing as an amateur I wanted to be world champion and this is another step up the ladder to where I want to be and I'm as ready as ever."

Munroe's trainer Jason Shinfield believes it is a fight his charge cannot afford to lose as he looks to tee up a world title clash with Japan's WBC title-holder Toshiaki Nishioka.

But although Munroe has the ultimate prize in mind he remains focused on the task in hand.

Italian Maludrottu, 31, has a proven track record. The former European bantamweight title-holder has won 30 of his 32 professional fights and challenged for the WBC crown in January 2008, when he lost on points to Japan's Hozumi Hasegawa.

"People are saying it's my hardest fight yet but I look at every fight as a hard fight. You can't underestimate anybody," Munroe said. "I take every fight as a world title fight.

"Winning the world title is a goal in life that I want to achieve and this is the next step on the ladder to achieving it.

"It will be be hard but they all are. I believe I am the best so I will just go out there with the challenge of being the best."

Munroe has had four weeks off work from his day job on the bins in Leicester and has been putting in the "hard yards" at his training base in Derbyshire.

Munroe won his European crown in March 2008 when he defeated Kiko Martinez of Spain.

But he has not boxed since February, when he outpointed Issac Nettey to claim the Commonwealth title.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8365183.stm