08. George Foreman

09. Rocky Marciano

10. Mike Tyson

11. Joe Frazier

12. Harry Wills

13. Lennox Lewis

14. Joe Walcott

15. James Jeffries

Re: Your Top 10 All-time Heavyweight list?

Your Top 10 All-time Heavyweight list?

Mine.

1.Muhammad Ali

2.Lennox Lewis

----- Heh, heh, won't find Ali so high or Lewis anywheres in sight on my list.

1. Joe Louis-- All Hail: everyone else scraps for 2-10 spots

2. Jack Dempsey-- The original ring assassin made boxing into a spectacle sport

3. Sam Langford-- Fought everyone, many multipleX and had Jack Johnson ducking him around the US, England, and France with his pants on fire.

4. Muhammad Ali-- Great fighter, but too many controversies and terrible fights to rank higher, but he was pure magic unleashed when he was on.

5. George Foreman-- Big George had em all ducking and laid out in two of the best ever eras.

6. Mike Tyson-- His first 5 years of dominance, KOs, and money making can never be equaled. Folks forget he was a clean fighting, clean cut kid starting out with plenty of endorsement deals.

7. Wlad Klitschko-- Maddeningly cautious, sure, but proof is in the pudding with the most dominant heavyweight reign ever combining scoring and knockouts.

8. Vitali Klitschko-- Dr Iron Jaw who's uncanny footwork controlling range and balance belies his deadly arsenal, also dominating combined scoring and knockouts. They singlehandley wiped Don King and American/Brit contenders and pretenders off the map.

9. Rocky Marciano-- 49-0, 43 KOs stops a lot of debate.

10. James J Jeffries-- 19-0-2, 16 KO with more fights against top black and white contenders and HOFers per % than any fighter in history at his retirement.

I usually draw comments for having Larry Holmes so high, and also for leaving out Dempsey and Marciano, both of whom I think are seriously overrated simply based on skin color. So feel free to unload on those two things or anything else you might notice grin//

1. Muhammad Ali

2. Joe Louis

3. Larry Holmes

4. George Foreman

5 Jack Johnson

6. Lennox Lewis

7 Joe Frazier

8. Evander Holyfield

9. Harry Wills

10. Sam Langford

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Joe Louis

2. Muhammad Ali

3. George Foreman

4. Jack Dempsey

5. Sonny Liston

6. Joe Frazier

7. Larry Holmes

8. Lennox Lewis

9. Evander Holyfield

10. Mike Tyson

Gene Tunney & Jim Jeffries just miss the cut, & are debatable. Rocky Marciano, Wlad Klitschko & Jack Johnson are popular choices who will never see my top-10 list.

Lennox Lewis is rapidly becoming one of the most over-rated Heavies in recent years, along with Vitali Klitschko & Ike Ibeabuchi.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i think now i would put holyfield in and remove JJ

I was going to message you with exactly that point, but I always get criticized for not accepting others peoples opinions......irrespective of how unfair or illogical they are.

Holyfield is not just the ONLY four time heavyweight champ, but he would have been a five time champ, if he was not robbed against Valuev. He scored more points against him than Haye did, but Haye was given the decision. Some would argue that he could have been a six time champ, as he was said to have been unlucky in the third Ruiz bout. Let us not forget that he was also robbed of an Olympic medal, to further strengthen his case, for greatness.

Not only did Holyfield regain the title, three times, but he was the only man to do it as the underdog, twice. Ali was the favourite vs Spinks.

The names on his record should place him in any unbiased persons top ten. When he fought Stewart, Alex was 24 -0 all by KO, then there was P. Thomas, L. Holmes, Tyson twice, (he was the only man to beat Bowe) Mercer, Foreman, Douglas, Dokes, not forgetting the guys he beat at cruiser, which were as big ( height and weight wise) as some of the heavyweight champs on peoples top ten lists. Ocasio for example had fought Holmes for the title. Don't want any arguments with ANYONE. I am just making a few points, that will hopefully help his case.

--- He sure has needed a lot of help since he had to hang on Foreman for dear life to survive.

Been all downhill ever since as his KO ratio dropped to raggedy ann numbers and he allowed him self to be passed around for sport by the Russians and DKing.

Definitely game, but the 8 or so title losses don't tell the whole story of mr field. I "don't want any arguments with anyone," but IBRO lists him at 14th below Tyson and Lewis whom he also robbed with a dubious draw.

It's all good fun...

--- He sure has needed a lot of help since he had to hang on Foreman for dear life to survive.

Been all downhill ever since as his KO ratio dropped to raggedy ann numbers and he allowed him self to be passed around for sport by the Russians and DKing.

Definitely game, but the 8 or so title losses don't tell the whole story of mr field. I "don't want any arguments with anyone," but IBRO lists him at 14th below Tyson and Lewis whom he also robbed with a dubious draw.

It's all good fun...

Wow, so surprised to see a sarcastic and negative put down, of someone I speak well of.

I could VERY EASILY, reply with a massive put down of Joe's' chin, gift decision over Walcott, poor performances and historically ridiculed (bum of the month) opponents, but I clearly stated, " I don't want arguments"

How silly of me, to think, I could have my opinion, without Mr trouble maker, noticing I have posted something, and looking to see how he could have a dig.

--- Just looking at the obvious facts with no sarcasm, mr field was 18-10-2 in the prime years after George ruined him.

Louis never suffered such a decline, all obvious to anyone who cares to deal in factual content. Put Louis on mr field vitamins and I bet he could've flown into the ring like Superman!

--- Just looking at the obvious facts with no sarcasm, mr field was 18-10-2 in the prime years after George ruined him.

Louis never suffered such a decline, all obvious to anyone who cares to deal in factual content. Put Louis on mr field vitamins and I bet he could've flown into the ring like Superman!

AFTER GEORGE RUINED HIM? You mean the George who he used as a punching bag, despite being 49lbs lighter, even after bulking up, probably by steroid use (WHICH IF TAKEN WERE ONLY TO ENABLE HIM TO MAKE THE HEAVYWEIGHT LIMIT, AND NOT TO HAVE AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE IN THE RING, HENCE NEVER TESTING POSITIVE).

He was so ruined that he went on to participate in two of the best fights in heavyweight history, those with Bowe, plus destroy Tyson, who only had one defeat (which excuses were made for, as always) and won back the title three more times, or five more if you are fair (which would eliminate you of course) Even if he used steroids to bulk up, he was still massively outweighed in many of his heavyweight bouts. 96 & 1/2lbs vs Valuev is the biggest discrepancy in boxing history, and Valuev was probably on steroids too, just as a massive percentage of world class athletes are.

I can always rip all your arguments to pieces, and have done so, every single time, you tried to be a smart ass......which is ALWAYS.

You said "Louis never suffered such a decline, all obvious to anyone who cares to deal in factual content" but was what I said NOT factual? and isn't it a fact that Louis DID suffer a decline, hence being totally out boxed by Walcott then by a light heavyweight (Ezzard Charles) and finally destroyed by, crude (hit em anywhere) Marciano. Did he not also visit the canvas NUMEROUS times as an amateur and as a pro, despite fighting the legendary bum of the month challengers? Evander scored an excellent KO in his last fight, how did Joe's last bout go? Who looked more DECLINED at the end?

At least Holyfield had a good excuse for not always being able to beat his opponents. One was the fact that he had heart problems and other health issues, the other was that he got older, so was unable to throw non stop punches like he did in his epic fights with Qawi, Bowe and many others. Evander throwing a couple of punches per round, is not Evander, it is just a small, slow, tired, battleworn, warrior, who did not have Georges one punch power, so how was he supposed to be able to beat, bigger, stronger, younger, men ?

Again you unreasonably hate a well respected boxer. Yet you say you are a fan of Cotto. Well apart from beating Martinez, due to Sergio having a very bad knee injury, what has he done to deserve your very limited appreciation, that surpasses everything Holyfield did?

Another thing, Joe Louis was mostly fighting guys the same size as himself, or fighting smaller light heavies, like Billy Conn, who also soundly out boxed him btw.

You rate Vitali Klitschko, yet I never see you bring up the fact that he definitely took steroids. He made the crap excuse that it was because of an injury, but anyone who believes that....add your own sarcasm here. Holyfield boxed as a light heavy in the Olympics and barely made cruiser in his first few bouts, don't hate him for being brave enough to want to get in the ring with the biggest, toughest men. He needed steroids to be able to bulk up and make the weight, and it had NO bearing in the ring whatsoever. If you were 18st and I was 10st and I took steroids to get myself to 12st but they were not in my system when I smashed you to pieces, would I have had an advantage? Stop being a ####, everyone is sick to death of seeing it, and I am the one who keeps trying to stop it.

I stopped commenting on your posts, to save further arguments, but you continue to try to annoy me, every opportunity you get.

If Louis was fighting guys much bigger than himself, whilst he was old, and with various health issues, I don't think he would have done very well.....specially with THAT chin.

If Holyfield had Joe's opponents, he would have retired undefeated....chew on THAT, mouthy.

Edited by chaconfan

It's all good fun...

You replied saying there was no sarcasm in the above post. I suppose there is no snarky dig either? No choosing IBRO as the list of choice, because it is the lowest rank you could find?

How is your KO ratio a deciding factor as to whether you are great or not? Are Ali, Pernell Whittaker and Mayweather not considered greats?

Is it not natural that a guy who gets older, and who is fighting naturally much bigger men than himself, will score less KO's, specially since his stoppages were often from a non stop barrage, or a very fast sharp combination?

In Louis's last ten bouts he scored only three stoppages and they were against bums too.

Before you start sarcastically suggesting that all you do is post THE FACTS, it may serve you well to study some, before you enter into one of your incredibly biased, and smug quests for glory.

Me against LRR's.

By my estimation, I am 135 -0.

He says, Marciano's unbeaten record means no one can argue with the obvious facts, that he MUST be better than most other heavies.

That means that we cannot take into account the fact that he only beat old men and light heavies(who were also old men) or bums, therefore no such consideration shall be made in this analogy, which then makes ME, the greatest heavyweight of all time.

I was going to message you with exactly that point, but I always get criticized for not accepting others peoples opinions......irrespective of how unfair or illogical they are.

Holyfield is not just the ONLY four time heavyweight champ, but he would have been a five time champ, if he was not robbed against Valuev. He scored more points against him than Haye did, but Haye was given the decision. Some would argue that he could have been a six time champ, as he was said to have been unlucky in the third Ruiz bout. Let us not forget that he was also robbed of an Olympic medal, to further strengthen his case, for greatness.

Not only did Holyfield regain the title, three times, but he was the only man to do it as the underdog, twice. Ali was the favourite vs Spinks.

The names on his record should place him in any unbiased persons top ten. When he fought Stewart, Alex was 24 -0 all by KO, then there was P. Thomas, L. Holmes, Tyson twice, (he was the only man to beat Bowe) Mercer, Foreman, Douglas, Dokes, not forgetting the guys he beat at cruiser, which were as big ( height and weight wise) as some of the heavyweight champs on peoples top ten lists. Ocasio for example had fought Holmes for the title. Don't want any arguments with ANYONE. I am just making a few points, that will hopefully help his case.

Where is your list. Comments Welcome but have the decency to provide your own list.

Where is your list. Comments Welcome but have the decency to provide your own list.

OH FOR FUCK SAKE! HAVE THE DECENCY? I PURPOSELY DID NOT COMPILE A LIST, BECAUSE I KNEW LRR's WOULD START WITH HIS BIASED, SARCASTIC, SMUG, PUT DOWNS, AND YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEE THAT IF I SAY SOMETHING BACK TO HIM, YOU WILL JUMP IN WITH YOUR OWN FEEBLE ATTEMPT TO MAKE ME LOOK WRONG.

JUST TO PROVE MY POINT. YOU JUST CRITICIZED ME FOR GIVING A VERY VALID EXPLANATION OF WHY EVANDER SHOULD NOT BE OVERLOOKED IN THE TOP TEN HEAVYWEIGHTS LIST, YET YOU THANKED LLR's FOR THIS COMMENT........"- Just looking at the obvious facts with no sarcasm, mr field was 18-10-2 in the prime years after George ruined him.

Louis never suffered such a decline, all obvious to anyone who cares to deal in factual content. Put Louis on mr field vitamins and I bet he could've flown into the ring like Superman!"

YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T LIKE ME, OR HOLYFIELD (probably because he beat your bully boy idol) AND IF WE TRACE OUR POSTS BACK, IT WAS ALL FINE UNTIL I DEFENDED HOLYFIELD IN THE TYSON FIGHTS, AND I JUST HAPPEN TO BE DEFENDING HIM AGAIN HERE.

I WILL PROBABLY BE BANNED, NOW, SO LRR's HAS WHAT HE WANTED......FREEDOM TO BE A HYPOCRITE, HATER, LIAR, TROUBLE MAKER, TO MAKE GLARING MISTAKES AND GENERALLY BE AN ALL ROUND TOSSER.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

ALL I FUCKING DID, WAS AGREE THAT SMOKIN WAS RIGHT FOR REPLACING JEFFRIES WITH HOLYFIELD, AND YOU CRITICIZE ME AS NOT BEING DECENT.

I AM SICK TO FUCKING DEATH OF DEFENDING EVERYTHING I POST ON THIS FORUM, IT IS THE MOST OBVIOUS CASE OF TOO MANY CHIEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS, AND CHIEFS DON'T LIKE BEING ARGUED WITH, SPECIALLY BY NEWBIE'S.

IF THIS IS MY LAST POST, BYE TO ALL, WHO LIKED MY UNBIASED, AND INFORMATIVE POSTS, GOOD LUCK TO THOSE, I GOT ON WITH, AND HAPPY BULLYING TO THE REST.

IF I AM NOT BANNED, DON'T FUCKING MESSAGE ME AGAIN. I AM DONE WITH YOU.

Edited by chaconfan

If Holyfield had Joe's opponents, he would have retired undefeated....chew on THAT, mouthy.

--- Ah, everyone picking on poor, poor Mary's little lost lamb again, is it? Puredee Comedy, for free, the best kind!

Mr. Field's last KO was against fellow 40ish relic Brian Neilson who hadn't fought in 9 years if you can count that high. Had both hips replaced after this fight, yet he made it a donnybrook with Neilson almost putting him out. Louis gave young Rocky hell before succumbing, not in some retirement party for punch drunk clowns.

Joe is 66-3, 59 KO to Field 44-10-2, 29 KO, obviously Joe the record setting fighter. Field was gutted by Foreman, his KO% dropping from 80% to 30% for all subsequent fights where he quickly accumulated all his losses.

Look at the pitiful story of how he robbed Sherman Williams at a retirement home for crimony's sake, how low can he go. And rather than listen to my witness, here is Fat Dan with a no brainer summation of the sad day for Ali, err....forgive me, insert Mr. Field. I mistook the two pathetic fighters circling the drain propped up by their fans and promoters to take unnecessary brain damage when their reflexes were shot and you wonder why boxing is dying with the general public. The ref had to save Field from the RTD when he quit on his stool. He was fixin' to get KTFO and the ref couldn't keep pulling Sherm off him forever.

• Holyfield vs. Williams was originally scheduled to take place at Detroit's Joe Louis Arena in 2010. The date of the fight was moved from November 5 to November 12 to December 9 before being cancelled on November 17. The first two postponements were due to lagging ticket sales and the lack of a television deal. Olympia Entertainment, which was promoting the fight, said the cancellation was "due to unforeseen circumstance." The fight fight [1]
  • Due to the cut he suffered against Williams, Holyfield's scheduled March 5 fight against Brian Nielsen was postponed until May 7.

By Dan Rafael, ESPN, January 24, 2011

http://static.boxrec.com/thumb/c/c6/Evander_Holyfield_vs._Sherman_Williams_%28poster%29.jpg/250px-Evander_Holyfield_vs._Sherman_Williams_%28poster%29.jpg

In the main event of an excruciatingly bad pay-per-view -- perhaps the worst ever (for real) -- the 48-year-old Holyfield looked every bit his age. The former four-time heavyweight titleholder is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time, but is now so far removed from being a quality fighter it is simply sad to watch. He let a journeyman opponent he once would have crushed without breaking a sweat smack him around with right hands and dominate the first three rounds until the anticlimactic ending of what had been an abysmal night. (Don't even ask about the Ray Charles and Bruce Springsteen imitators singing between fights and the female trapeze artist. Seriously.)

Williams, a 38-year-old native of the Bahamas based in Ft. Pierce, Fla., was fighting for only the third time since 2007 and he had not fought since a loss in October 2009. Yet there he was taking it to Atlanta's worn-out Holyfield, backing him up with right hands. All Holyfield could do was bounce up and down and side to side with little ability to fire a meaningful shot. The fight, originally ticketed to take place in Detroit, had already been postponed multiple times before finally landing at a West Virginia resort, where a black-tie crowd watched with little enthusiasm. It was hard to blame them. It was like watching Willie Mays stumble around in the outfield during his last days with the Mets or listening to Frank Sinatra butcher his classics at the end. Just pathetic.

In the second round, an accidental head butt caught Holyfield and opened a small cut over his left eye. Williams had a big third round and after it was over, Holyfield quit on his stool complaining that blood was getting in his eye and that he could not see. Referee Dave Johnson bought it and declared the fight a no contest because it had not yet gone the required four rounds to send it to the scorecards (where, even had it gone four rounds, it would have been impossible to imagine Holyfield ahead after the way he looked through the early rounds). The only problem with the stoppage was that the cut did not look bad at all and there was very little sign of any blood dripping. Holyfield just seemed to not want to continue. He is due to fight March 5 in Denmark against fellow fossil Brian Nielson, although it is possible the cut could delay that bout. Holyfield also mentioned the possibility of a rematch with Williams. Lord help us. Does anyone actually want to see Holyfield fight anymore against anyone? He talks about wanting to become undisputed champion again before finally retiring. Even if he was still good enough to be able to win against the guys with the titles boxing politics make it virtually impossible to hold all the belts. Holyfield can dream, and it's hard not to admire his stubborn determination, but enough is enough. He can fight if he wants as long as some commission somewhere will license him. If he wants to get his brains beat in some more, so be it. But he is not going to be undisputed champion. Simply ain't happening. He has a better chance of getting hit by lightning or winning the next Mega Millions jackpot. Too bad he doesn't realize it. [2]

OH FOR FUCK SAKE! HAVE THE DECENCY? I PURPOSELY DID NOT COMPILE A LIST, BECAUSE I KNEW LRR's WOULD START WITH HIS BIASED, SARCASTIC, SMUG, PUT DOWNS, AND YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEE THAT IF I SAY SOMETHING BACK TO HIM, YOU WILL JUMP IN WITH YOUR OWN FEEBLE ATTEMPT TO MAKE ME LOOK WRONG.

JUST TO PROVE MY POINT. YOU JUST CRITICIZED ME FOR GIVING A VERY VALID EXPLANATION OF WHY EVANDER SHOULD NOT BE OVERLOOKED IN THE TOP TEN HEAVYWEIGHTS LIST, YET YOU THANKED LLR's FOR THIS COMMENT........"- Just looking at the obvious facts with no sarcasm, mr field was 18-10-2 in the prime years after George ruined him.

Louis never suffered such a decline, all obvious to anyone who cares to deal in factual content. Put Louis on mr field vitamins and I bet he could've flown into the ring like Superman!"

YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T LIKE ME, OR HOLYFIELD (probably because he beat your bully boy idol) AND IF WE TRACE OUR POSTS BACK, IT WAS ALL FINE UNTIL I DEFENDED HOLYFIELD IN THE TYSON FIGHTS, AND I JUST HAPPEN TO BE DEFENDING HIM AGAIN HERE.

I WILL PROBABLY BE BANNED, NOW, SO LRR's HAS WHAT HE WANTED......FREEDOM TO BE A HYPOCRITE, HATER, LIAR, TROUBLE MAKER, TO MAKE GLARING MISTAKES AND GENERALLY BE AN ALL ROUND TOSSER.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

ALL I FUCKING DID, WAS AGREE THAT SMOKIN WAS RIGHT FOR REPLACING JEFFRIES WITH HOLYFIELD, AND YOU CRITICIZE ME AS NOT BEING DECENT.

I AM SICK TO FUCKING DEATH OF DEFENDING EVERYTHING I POST ON THIS FORUM, IT IS THE MOST OBVIOUS CASE OF TOO MANY CHIEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS, AND CHIEFS DON'T LIKE BEING ARGUED WITH, SPECIALLY BY NEWBIE'S.

IF THIS IS MY LAST POST, BYE TO ALL, WHO LIKED MY UNBIASED, AND INFORMATIVE POSTS, GOOD LUCK TO THOSE, I GOT ON WITH, AND HAPPY BULLYING TO THE REST.

IF I AM NOT BANNED, DON'T FUCKING MESSAGE ME AGAIN. I AM DONE WITH YOU.

This topic is called 'Your Top 10 All-time Heavyweight list?' what part of that don't you understand.

I'm not even reading your tirade of abuse cos it's the same old ill-informed boring crap. Post your list butty.

This topic is called 'Your Top 10 All-time Heavyweight list?' what part of that don't you understand.

I'm not even reading your tirade of abuse cos it's the same old ill-informed boring crap. Post your list butty.

YEAH AND IT WAS STILL CALLED THAT, WHEN YOU THANKED CUNTFACE FOR THIS POST...."--- He sure has needed a lot of help since he had to hang on Foreman for dear life to survive.

It's all good fun... " YOU FUCKING BIASED WANKER. ALSO HOW THE FUCK ARE MY POSTS ILL INFORMED? I HAVE CORRECTED YOU IN THE PAST, AND YOUR VIEWS ON TYSON V HOLYFIELD, JULIAN JACKSON AND MANY OTHERS SEEMED TO HAVE BEEN BY A COMPLETE NOVICE. HATE ON ME ALL YOU WANT, BUT GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT, BEFORE YOU BECOME LIKE YOUR PARTNER IN CRIME, A BIASED HYPOCRITE, AND SOMEONE WHO HATES BEING CORRECTED......OH ACTUALLY, THAT IS WHAT YOU ALREADY ARE. GUESS THAT IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU HANG AROUND WITH THE WRONG PEOPLE.

YEAH AND IT WAS STILL CALLED THAT, WHEN YOU THANKED CUNTFACE FOR THIS POST...."--- He sure has needed a lot of help since he had to hang on Foreman for dear life to survive.

It's all good fun... " YOU FUCKING BIASED WANKER. ALSO HOW THE FUCK ARE MY POSTS ILL INFORMED? I HAVE CORRECTED YOU IN THE PAST, AND YOUR VIEWS ON TYSON V HOLYFIELD, JULIAN JACKSON AND MANY OTHERS SEEMED TO HAVE BEEN BY A COMPLETE NOVICE. HATE ON ME ALL YOU WANT, BUT GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT, BEFORE YOU BECOME LIKE YOUR PARTNER IN CRIME, A BIASED HYPOCRITE, AND SOMEONE WHO HATES BEING CORRECTED......OH ACTUALLY, THAT IS WHAT YOU ALREADY ARE. GUESS THAT IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU HANG AROUND WITH THE WRONG PEOPLE.

You have a filthy mouth. You are no longer Welcome on this forum. Nobody needs to read your silly, pathetic rants. It gives me great pleasure to ban you and your nonsense.

You seem like you need help, so get in touch with these people.

Samaritans | Samaritans

Samaritans | Samaritans