Michael 'The Brazilian Rocky' Oliveira to fight Freitas

WelshDevilRob

Michael 'The Brazilian Rocky' Oliveira to fight Acelino Freitas

MIAMI (February 15. 2012) - Team Oliveira has collectively decided to drop undefeated WBC South American middleweight champion Michael "The Brazilian Rocky" Oliveira down one weight class to junior middleweight, starting with his Brazilian mega-fight against four-time world champion Acelino "Popo" Freitas, which is tentatively scheduled for May 19 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

In his Canadian debut last Saturday, fighting in the third different county (US and Brazil) in his last three fights -Oliveira won a unanimous eight-round decision (79-73, 77-75, 77-75 against Sergei "Baltic King" Melis (18-8, 7 KOs) in Mississauga, Ontario.

Oliveira (17-0, 12 KOs), rated No. 14 by the World Boxing Council ("WBC"), battled the rugged Estonian in a spirited Special Middleweight Attraction "It was a war," Michael's father/promoter Carlos Oliveira (MO Productions) described the Oliverira-Melis fight. "Overall, it was a very good experience for Michael. It went back-and-forth, every round, and Michael was a warrior. Michael has been fighting much bigger opponents, so he'll now be dropping down to his natural fighting weight at 154 pounds."

"My conditioning proved to be the difference," Michael spoke about last Saturday's fight. I executed the plan but I thought that it was going to be a much easier fight than it was. He really surprised us. He didn't do anything that we saw him do on tape. It was another valuable learning experience. This fight was more important for me to fight eight hard rounds, instead of knocking somebody out in the first round. It proved my point that video tapes don't show everything. He threw more lefts in his old fights and a lot more rights against me.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/boxing-news/43105-michael-the-brazilian-rocky-oliveira-to-fight-acelino-freitas-in-rio.html#ixzz1mTUb9wWb