Hartlepool Hunter Returns On March 25

londoner

Hartlepool Hunter Returns On March 25

By John Hannen, northeastfightscene.co.uk.

North East fight fans are hoping for a return to the ‘good old days’, when former world title challenger Michael Hunter makes his ring comeback at the Hartlepool Borough Hall on March 25.

Hunter, formerly the British and European super-bantamweight champion, hasn’t graced a ring since losing a domestic title challenge to Jason Booth in 2009, but the hope is that a move up to super-featherweight will see him recapture his old magic.

“It’s unfinished business,” stated the 33 year old, whose record stands at 29-2-1 (13). “I was going to leave it and was happy with what I’d achieved, but deep down, it was niggling away. I just started training, started getting fitter and then decided ‘I’m going to have to put this to bed’. I’m taking it one fight at a time, but there’s plenty more left in Michael Hunter’s tank and I’m almost certain I’ll be back to my very best.”

The Hartlepool show is being staged by Phil Jeffries, father of Olympic bronze medallist Tony, under his ‘Pro-Box North East’ banner and looks set to be just one of a number of shows that the Sunderland promoter will be putting on in the region over the coming year.

“I’m really excited about this show,” said Jeffries. “’I’ve watched Michael throughout his career and he’s always been really entertaining and never fails to be in a good fight. Hartlepool is Michael’s home town and there’s no doubt the atmosphere will be electric in the Borough Hall for his return. We’ve also got another of the town’s fighters on the show in young Peter Cope who’s a real prospect and has a massive following with his ‘Barmy Army’, so it’s going to be a great night. In the future, I’m looking to put on shows right across the North East to make this region a real hot-bed of boxing.”

Alongside the appearances of Hunter and Cope on the show will be Fishburn’s Gary Fox who will be looking to pick up a seventh win in his eighth contest, whilst it will also be a big night for former amateur prospects Mohammed Waqas and Shafiq ‘Chubzy’ Asif, both from Middlesbrough, and Horden’s Greg O’Neil, who are all scheduled to make their professional debuts.

The Borough Hall has seen some great nights of boxing over the years, with many of them being provided by Michael Hunter. Whether the North East man can ever scale the heights he’s been to before, only time will tell, but his return to action is a boxing journey that fight fans won’t want to miss.

“It’s a special venue for me,” enthused Hunter, as he looked forward to fight night.

“It’ll be packed to the rafters and back to the old days. The town’s buzzing and I’m going to give them another ride on the Hunter Express Train!”

For ticket information call 0774 7611 020.

http://www.secondsout.com/news/main-news/hartlepool-hunter-returns-on-march-25