Sexton next for Price

londoner

Sexton next for Price

Olympic medallist accuses former champion of letting fans down.

David Price will face Sam Sexton for the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles recently vacated by Tyson Fury.

Liverpudlian Price had hoped to face Fury next, only for negotiations between the two sides to break down and leave the mandatory challenger branding his fellow Brit "a coward".

"I can't believe Fury has shown himself to be what he truly is, which is a coward," Price told Sky Sports News HD.

Asked why he thought the fight wouldn't be happening, he added: "He knows I will end Tyson Fury. That's what was going to happen in the fight.

"After my last fight against John McDermott I came out and said that Tyson Fury is a fighting man. Well, he's proved me wrong.

"He's embarrassed himself and the sport of boxing, but he's let the fans down the most. The fans deserved to see the fight."

Instead the Olympic bronze medallist - who has a 12-0 record - will take on Sexton, who used to hold the Commonwealth strap and failed in his previous attempt to be crowned British champion, losing to Dereck Chisora in 2010.

The 27-year-old from Norwich has won his last two fights, including a technical-decision triumph over Larry Olubamiwo after their bout had to be stopped following an accidental clash of heads that left Sexton sporting a nasty cut.

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/7500062/Sexton-next-for-Price