Fury v Price takes a step backwards

iamasadlittleboy

Just seen this on SSN. I take it this is Ty's way to avoid Price? Not too suprised really, I originally thought Fury was our top heavyweight, but Price has dynamite in those fists and after his last few outings, I think Fury wants no part of the Scouser.

Just seen this on SSN. I take it this is Ty's way to avoid Price? Not too suprised really, I originally thought Fury was our top heavyweight, but Price has dynamite in those fists and after his last few outings, I think Fury wants no part of the Scouser.
I agree that its been done to avoid having to face Price now though not out of fear. But because it has the potential to be a far bigger fight down the road.

Isn't Price fighting in the US next? On a multi promotion, nationality bill with other prospects. Can't remember off hand who he is mean't to fight. Fury also meant to be fighting in the US for Paddys Day.

After the Price McDermott fight it sounded like Maloney thought both men had 1 fight against other opponents then were going to face off in the summer.

Everyman and their dog knew this was coming. Why become British champion if you don't want to fight your mandatories?

Not sure I buy the whole "it'll be bigger down the road" argument. Fury is an accident waiting to happen and it could be sooner rather than later, depending on who he fights in the meantime.

I think it is a "further down the road" fight. Even if it's just for European title. The division is lacking enough for both these guys to be top 7 or 8 in the world in no time. With an increased awareness of them both over in the states, a clash between them for a shot at a K bro would be a bigger draw, and generate them decent money.

I think it is a "further down the road" fight. Even if it's just for European title. The division is lacking enough for both these guys to be top 7 or 8 in the world in no time. With an increased awareness of them both over in the states, a clash between them for a shot at a K bro would be a bigger draw, and generate them decent money.

I'll be honest, maybe it's because I look at a lot of prospects or something...but the heavyweight scene is genuinely quite exciting outside of the established guys. You have guys like Modugno, Rivas, Boytsov, Wach, Szpilka, Glazkov, Pulev, Dinu, Wallisch...I think if we have 2 genuine top 10 fighters at any point one won't be Fury

Fury has already propelled himself beyond Lonsdale belt level imo.

He's as ready now as he ever will be for a crack at the likes of Povetkin.

He's proven a bit chinny and a bit too easy to tag, but packs decent enough power and movement for a bigger guy to make any reasonable fight interesting.

Price seems a calibre above Fury from the level of opponent he's faced so far, but he still has to make that next step that Fury already managed and is still a bit green in terms of experience.

Fury has little to gain but everything to lose in fighting Price at this stage.

Lesser fighters have already had him in trouble, though fair play, he has come through it.

Iam, you are more schooled than me in terms of "unknown prospects" out there (unknown to me at least), but the heavyweight landscape has been pretty barren for a good few years now. I hope you're right and we're on the cusp of some exciting talents coming through.

At this stage though, looking at the top 10 outside of the K's, Fury and Price's size alone would cause any of them problems imo.

Like I say, I don't think they are far off getting into that top 10 simply because of the lack of experienced talent around.

If I was Fury I would have ducked Price too.

I agree wholeheartedly that Fury is an accident waiting to happen.

A loss to Price, at this stage in his career, would have been pretty difficult for Fury to have moved on from.

In my opinion Fury was lucky that Chisora turned up after training down Burger King. The Del Boy who turned up against Helenius would have flattened him.

This situation is a prime example of just how tough being a British domestic level fighter can be. Due to the importance of the Londsdale belt (the most respected belt in the World outside of World level) guys like Fury and Price or DeGale and Groves are forced to fight early on or vacate. Most boxers prefer to go ahead with the fight and hope to defend it enough times to keep it outright. Of course, occasionally we have situations where the two fighters don't fight (Fury/Price or Macklin/Barker, for example).

But, these situations tend to arise because said boxers are already in a position to challenge for a World title. Barker and Macklin didn't fight. Just months later one fought Sergio Martinez and the other is going to. Same for Martin Murray, he got to challenge Felix Sturm.

In this case, Fury is close to a World title shot. I don't see how people can really say someone is ducking another when his next fight could be a World title shot (or World level fight).

Is Povetkin really an easier fight than Price? Are Pulev or Dimitrenko easier fights than Price? If the answer is yes, then it certainly isn't known in the boxing community because most people wouldn't have heard of David Price.

I don't see this as ducking on Fury's part. I see this as clever management not wanting to see an inevitable World title shot fall down the drain because a new kid on the block is on the warpath.

How many countries have a title which FORCES two prospects/fighters to fight? The USA doesn't, i doubt any south American country does, none in Europe... In fact, i can only think of Japan who are constantly hosting fights between up and comers in really tough bouts.

The Londsdale and Japanese titles: Two of the toughest belts in the World to retain.